Poll: What effect do (legal) immigrants have on your society?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Positive, they bring new idea's and culture.

Also lots of good food.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    Sweden doesn't do assimilation.
    Turkish Prime Minister Erdoğan declared assimilation to be genocide. What suggestions do you have for the Turkish community in Germany?
    http://www.tccb.gov.tr/interviews/37...e-zeitung.html
    How nice.
    The turkish MP comes into my city and speaks in a Stadium full of his fellow citizens and declares before that assimilation is the same as Genocide thats foul play.

"The mosques are our barracks, the domes our helmets, the minarets our bayonets and the faithful our soldiers...."
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-12-21 at 01:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    No, and don't try to tell me what my opinion is. I'm pretty sure I'm the expert on my own beliefs.
    Nah, unlikely. Most people aren't. But that's OK.

People should be free to keep their own customs and traditions, to the extent that it doesn't interfere with anyone else. But why on Earth would you come to America if you're going to refuse to identify yourself as an American? If you'd rather be something else, then you don't belong here.
    That only shows that you don't really get that whole immigration thing.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiing View Post
    What is the system in Canada?
    They have a point system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    They have a point system.

Thats immigration for you. Erdogan is a shithead he ruins Atatürks legacy

If we assume Milli görüs is a mirror of Turkeys current political climate then what we see now will be just the sunset before the Islamist win.
    Last edited by mmocd79acbf389; 2013-12-21 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGravemind View Post
    I find that most Europeans, at least in my experience, view legal immigration as an anathema, and illegal immigration as something unbelievably terrible. Most Americans, on the other hand, seem to view legal immigration as something great (even the typically tough-on-illegals Republicans hold this view) that is integral to American society and even view illegal immigration as something that is at the very least tolerable.

What are your thoughts on immigration?

Note: don't violate forum rules by being xenophobic/inflammatory.
    Your argument is just as bad as "I find Americans to be retarded"
    Also, if you use "Europeans", then i hope by "Americans" you mean more than USA, a lot more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by namelessone View Post
    I am a naturalized immigrant (came to Canada with my parents from Ukraine). I guess my opinion probably shouldn't count.
    Why shouldn't it count? You're a human being just like us "non-immigrants"*. That's the whole point you know, that every human has equal and inalienable right. Your opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

Rights, which IMO includes the right to move freely and settle anywhere in the world just like our ancestors did, ever since moving out of Africa hundreds of thousands of years ago (sadly this natural right is violated in virtually every "country").

* Actually, we are ALL descendants of immigrants. Only difference is how many generations have passed since our most latest ancestor immigrated, which is usually only two or three generations, tops, even in "old" Europe. Most people have an immigrant great grandmother or so in their family tree. And if not, they have moved between different regions that accidently ended up belonging to the same country.

Personally, immigration can be both good and bad. In America I have met and worked with many good, hardworking immigrants mainly from Mexico that I really enjoyed working with. Although, I also think it has quite a negative impact because numbers show that the huge increase in crime rate and welfare/gov't assistance is followed by the increase in immigration.

Deleted
    Its generally positive i think

Deleted
    Stop generalizing OP.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am English and to be honest its been a negative from my point of view, It wouldn't be so bad if everyone integrated but they don't they create little groups amongst themselves and just expand pushing out native families.. I really don't know the rules or how it works but it seems that lets say a young couple come here then within 4-5 years at most both the parents move here too then extended family and it just keeps growing like that. And to be fair I don't really mind if people come over and want to get stuck in and earn some money but the knock on effects with children are a bit too strong.
    My sisters children are in classes of 30 with 3-5 natural English speakers which then puts a strain on the education they get because the teachers are spending more time with the non English speaking kids and it just escalates.

I myself have moved from London down to Dorset because (its going to sound racist but I cant word it any other way) I was sick of being a minority in my home town.
    Newsagents are 100% Indian run, Market stalls are Indian run, Majority of butchers are Indian run, Fish and chip shops are Greek run, Supermarket workers are mostly west Caribbean. Off licences are 100% Indian, Taxi drivers are majority Indian with some Polish thrown in. So what tends to happen is the native (lol) are moving out of the area.. Before I wrote this I checked on my facebook and 20 or so people I knew from school not 1 lives in East London any more. In fact I don't know a single person who still lives in London.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post

Thats immigration for you. Erdogan is a shithead he ruins Atatürks legacy

If we assume Milli görüs is a mirror of Turkeys current political climate then what we see now will be just the sunset before the Islamist win.
    I thought this wa positive (i dont like Erdogan)
    All those people have a Turkish passport.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zippoflames View Post
    I am English and to be honest its been a negative from my point of view, It wouldn't be so bad if everyone integrated but they don't they create little groups amongst themselves and just expand pushing out native families.. I really don't know the rules or how it works but it seems that lets say a young couple come here then within 4-5 years at most both the parents move here too then extended family and it just keeps growing like that. And to be fair I don't really mind if people come over and want to get stuck in and earn some money but the knock on effects with children are a bit too strong.
    My sisters children are in classes of 30 with 3-5 natural English speakers which then puts a strain on the education they get because the teachers are spending more time with the non English speaking kids and it just escalates.

I myself have moved from London down to Dorset because (its going to sound racist but I cant word it any other way) I was sick of being a minority in my home town.
    Newsagents are 100% Indian run, Market stalls are Indian run, Majority of butchers are Indian run, Fish and chip shops are Greek run, Supermarket workers are mostly west Caribbean. Off licences are 100% Indian, Taxi drivers are majority Indian with some Polish thrown in. So what tends to happen is the native (lol) are moving out of the area.. Before I wrote this I checked on my facebook and 20 or so people I knew from school not 1 lives in East London any more. In fact I don't know a single person who still lives in London.
    Its like this because your native english people are worse then those Indians/Greeks and others so why dont you run an english markt or something like that?

Deleted
    other really, depends on the immigrant.

an uneducated, unskilled worker adds basically nothing, thats what people are annoyed with in Europe, mass immigration of unskilled, uneducated workers. now skilled immigrants that have learned the basics of the language, have a trade skill or what ever they can put to use and find a good job, they are nothing but a bonus to the country and should be welcomed. as a whole immigrants are good for the country i say, but we need to start filtering the type of people coming in, a system like Canada or Australia would be great, still easy for skilled immigrants to enter, but filters out people who will add nothing.

US here. Both legal and illegal immigrants have had overwhelmingly positive contributions.

The legal immigrants tend to be educated, driven to succeed, and are far less likely to engage in criminal activity than "natives".

Illegal immigrants have an even greater positive effect. Not only are they exploited for cheap labor to keep our food costs down (they're huge in farm work), they also fuel the construction boom that many southern states enjoy. Because of how income tax and social security system works, they contribute to that as well even thought they have no chance of actually enjoying those benefits. Whey they get too old to work they usually go back home so impact on our health care system is minimal.

As for crime related to illegal immigrants? I often laugh when people mention it. There is some, but I'm from texas. The amount of crime here compared to our southern neighbor Mexico is so jarring you'd think it was another world, instead of a simple border crossing. Especially drug and organized crime. The amount the US benefits from illegal workers and the amount that their originating country suffers from not having those motivated and hardworking people making their own country better is criminal.

As far the assimilation thing, I gotta admit... I don't really understand where our European people are coming from. Culture from originating countries is important. I've found that the diversity they bring makes for a richer country as a whole. Even in texas we've always seperate communities that keep most things from their homeland. Be it language (and yes, even for building and street signs), religion, or traditions (as long as they don't step on the toes of US law). Hell, from where I live an hour's drive can take me to communities that hispanic (mexican predominate), korean, chinese, and even german(though only the older folk speak the language).
    Its fine.

Deleted
    England as a whole confuses me in regards to immigrants coming over.

If they're down on the luck and decide to go on benefits they're a leach, if they get a job they're stealing it from an "Englishman".

Add on the racist and xenophobic jokes i've heard made at certain nationalities, it really does make me scratch my head.

Obviously some immigrants are not "Beneficial" for us as a whole, but the U.K has been practicing the method of drawing foreign professionals from other poorer nations to work here for decades; It's very desirable to do so.

I'd say the benefits have largely been diminished though due to piss poor handling by the government, now we have self contained communities essentially in a few towns throughout England; That's a headache for everyone.

Deleted
    Most immigrants are badly educated and poor, they offer nothing of value, and in a world of unbalance they serve no other purpose than staying poor, so others can stay rich.

That might be harsh, but it's the truth.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yilar View Post
    Most immigrants are badly educated and poor, they offer nothing of value, and in a world of unbalance they serve no other purpose than staying poor, so others can stay rich.

That might be harsh, but it's the truth.
    Those immigrant jews arlso stayed poor and offered nothing oh wait.....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurnor View Post
    I thought this wa positive (i dont like Erdogan)
    All those people have a Turkish passport.

- - - Updated - - -

Its like this because your native english people are worse then those Indians/Greeks and others so why dont you run an english markt or something like that?
    Lets say I opened an English market. Who would I sell to? As I said there is no pretty much no integration, The Indians would buy from the Indians etc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippoflames View Post
    Lets say I opened an English market. Who would I sell to? As I said there is no pretty much no integration, The Indians would buy from the Indians etc
    Maybe the english person?
    Or do you say if you were in a foreign country and an englishmen has a store full of english cuisines and ther are other shops with other nationalities you would go to them and not to the english men LOL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurnor View Post
    Maybe the english person?
    Or do you say if you were in a foreign country and an englishmen has a store full of english cuisines and ther are other shops with other nationalities you would go to them and not to the english men LOL
    Ok final input from me because unless you have lived where I am from its hard to explain I suppose.

Newham has the youngest overall population and one of the lowest White British populations in the country according to the 2011 Census. The borough has the second highest percentage of Muslims in Britain at 32%.

When using Simpson's Diversity Index on 10 aggregated ethnic groups, the 2001 census identified Newham as the most ethnically diverse district in England and Wales, with 9 wards in the top 15.[7] However, when using the 16 ethnic categories in the Census so that White Irish and White Other ethnic minorities are also included in the analysis, Newham becomes the 2nd most ethnically diverse borough[8] with 6 out of the top 15 wards, behind Brent with 7 out of the top 15 wards.

Statistics from the 2011 census showed that 29.0% of the population was White (16.7% White British, 0.7% White Irish, 0.2% Gypsy or Irish Traveller, 11.4% Other White), 4.6% of mixed race (1.3% White and Black Caribbean, 1.1% White and Black African, 0.9% White and Asian, 1.3% Other Mixed), 43.5% Asian (13.8% Indian, 9.8% Pakistani, 12.21 Bangladeshi, 1.3% Chinese, 6.5% Other Asian), 19.6% Black (12.3% African, 4.9% Caribbean, 2.4% Other Black), 1.1% Arab and 2.3% of other ethnic heritage.[9] Newham has the highest fertility rate in the country at 2.87 children born per woman, as of 2009, compared to the national average of 1.95.[10]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Borough_of_Newham