Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Nokia's big Failure!

Hey guys, i am doing a big school project about Nokia and hope that you will help!

What is the first things your think of, when you think of Nokia? As in, if they were a person.

Personally i think they are kind of boring, a little too 90's. But why did they fail? I think it is mainly the obvious reason that they lacked behind in the smartphone race. They didn't see the possibilities in the smartphones even though i think since the merge, they are coming back quite good

So, what do you think, when you think of Nokia?
    And why did they fail?

- dkcas11

Nokia still exists I am sure, perhaps as only a brand name, but yeah, they exist, they're also. INDESTRUCTABLE. so there's your description of Nokia.

Deleted
    I think of boots, and tires. And then that Microsofts prisonbitch.

And yea, Nokia still exists.

Edit; they failed because they failed to pursue the smartphone avenue when they first researched it, it cost them the market on high end phones. They could've been massively overpowered had they done so. Selling out to Microsoft was just last nail in the coffin.
    Last edited by mmoc68224f08ff; 2013-12-14 at 09:54 PM.

Deleted
    They didn't catch onto the Smartphone and Tablet market quick enough, they got cocky and missed an opportunity.

They abandoned their own platform when S. Elop came in as CEO and completely ruined their market, signed slavery contracts with Microsoft and at the end, sold Nokia to MS.

Wikipedia agrees with me:
    During the 3 years Elop was Nokia CEO, Nokia revenues fell 40%, Nokia profits fell 95%, Nokia market share collapsed in smartphones from 34% to 3.4%, Nokia's credit rating went from A to junk, Nokia's share price dropped 60% in value and Nokia's market capitalization lost 13 Billion dollars in value. The Financial Times calculated that Nokia shareholders ended up paying Elop a bonus of 1 million Euros for every 1.5 Billion in market capital that Elop was able to destroy while Nokia CEO.

Now S. Elop works in Microsoft, btw. The only thing I don't understand is that wtf stakeholders were doing when they saw how bad his decisions are playing out?

10+ Year Old Account
    Big, ugly and unbreakable.

Nokia failed? Last I checked they were rocking a windows phone with a 41 megapixel camera, the Lumia 1020. I wish they were getting this on Verizon, I'd be happy to get it over my next purchase of Galaxy Note 4 (whenever it comes out)

10+ Year Old Account
    Before you make a fool of yourself in front of your 9th grade class do some research. Nokia isnt a failure. Symbian came out like 5 years before Android and it was nice. Now they have the windows phones which are also nice. I played around with the 925 and i liked it. Ive had 3 Nokia phones. A 3310, N95 and N97...all great phones.

Looks at this. This is more iconic then your shit iphone. No one is going to point out a LG Optimus in 14 years and go "Remember that phone? The LG Optimus. That was one hell of a phone."
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethas View Post
    They abandoned their own platform when S. Elop came in as CEO and completely ruined their market, signed slavery contracts with Microsoft and at the end, sold Nokia to MS.

Wikipedia agrees with me:
    During the 3 years Elop was Nokia CEO, Nokia revenues fell 40%, Nokia profits fell 95%, Nokia market share collapsed in smartphones from 34% to 3.4%, Nokia's credit rating went from A to junk, Nokia's share price dropped 60% in value and Nokia's market capitalization lost 13 Billion dollars in value. The Financial Times calculated that Nokia shareholders ended up paying Elop a bonus of 1 million Euros for every 1.5 Billion in market capital that Elop was able to destroy while Nokia CEO.

Now S. Elop works in Microsoft, btw. The only thing I don't understand is that wtf stakeholders were doing when they saw how bad his decisions are playing out?
    I think the numbers on Elops term just reflect their earlier decision to abandon pursuing smartphones when no one was doing them, which made them stagnate at the top and others (Apple, Samsung, HTC) just swooped past. But yea, Elop was and is still a muppet, and not the good kind. And I think the stakeholders were just riding it out, waiting for the eventual paycheck from Microsoft. It was obvious that Nokia was going to get eaten by Microsoft the moment Elop stepped in charge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by teebo View Post
    Before you make a fool of yourself in front of your 9th grade class do some research. Nokia isnt a failure. Symbian came out like 5 years before Android and it was nice. Now they have the windows phones which are also nice. I played around with the 925 and i liked it. Ive had 3 Nokia phones. A 3310, N95 and N97...all great phones.

Looks at this. This is more iconic then your shit iphone. No one is going to point out a LG Optimus in 14 years and go "Remember that phone? The LG Optimus. That was one hell of a phone."
    Totally agree, Nokia aren't dead/failure in my eyes. They've had a spell where a lot didn't work out, but currently they are making some of the best phones out there. Also, back in the day, the 3310 was a ridiculously good phone. I still have one in working condition in a drawer somewhere, and if there is ever a major catastrophe in the UK it will be the only thing to survive I guess.

This guy is LAWL!!!
    No one will remember the iphone...
    It was a technology break through...

Must be an android user..

Watch ANY movie/Show and when they answer a cell phone it's an iphone..

Deleted
    Failure ? No way! They had their own OS and wanted to stick to it, but people wants cheap laggy Android phones, that is why they are left behind. Their high-end phones are really good. Being loyal to Microsoft was good move for them. They have very few phones they need to update and upkeep unlike Android, where big companies do not upgrade often and every device. They will fight their way through. The WP is not only phone, most business people use it along with Iphone.

As a programmer I truly understand why they choose WP over Android. Until Android fixes the problem with Delvik they always had (they need hellofa ram), they are crap. When they will fix their own issues, then Android will be fast and smooth. Nokia phones are like Apple phones, you just take them out of the box and you are good to go.

But for sure WP, iOS, Android have their disadvantages that need to be fixed and all of those OS are for different people. I own all 3 because of programming apps for my company to help employees with their work.

For me its Android > WP = iOS.

But Nokia for sure is not a failure. They have one of the best camera lens and simplicity in OS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nokia is currently failing because, like Blackberry, they refused to adapt to the changing times.

Those two companies effectively OWNED the cell phone market, and lost it because they didn't think ahead, didn't take any chances.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    This guy is LAWL!!!

No, they just had good marketing . There was nothing new about. Symbian, Blackberry, Whatever HP and Sony had were in use before ios. They just packaged it and made it look pretty for all teh kids.

Anyway for what its worth.
    https://twitter.com/PhonesinMovies

Didnt see a lot of iphones
    Last edited by teebo; 2013-12-14 at 10:19 PM.
    "Let me answer your question with another, How would you feel if you found out you were a potato?"

Nintendo Friend Code 1049-0261-4082 Pokemon Name - Max

Deleted
    I missed the part when they became a failure, granted they aren't the big leaders in the market anymore but they are still strong out there.

I worked at Nokia for 10+ years from the boom times to the bust and what killed their dominance was hubris. They were #1 (by a mile) and stopped innovating or paying attention to the changing marketplace and stuck what with had gotten them to where they were at. They also spent money hand-over-fist like they would never run out (e.g. flying people from the US to Finland for a meeting for no real reason.)

No, they just had good marketing . There was nothing new about. Symbian, Blackberry, Whatever HP and Sony had were in use before ios. They just packaged it and made it look pretty for all teh kids.

Anyway for what its worth.
    https://twitter.com/PhonesinMovies

Didnt see a lot of iphones
    You can hate on apple all you want, but not recognizing the iphone was a technological breakthrough is just being moronic. Prior to the iphone release trying to get customers to buy smartphones was like pulling teeth. The iphone went from turning a predominantly non-smartphone market into a dominant smartphone market. Nowadays it is odd to see somebody who doesnt have a smartphone.

They made the N-Gage. Do you really need more?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nomorepriest View Post
    This guy is LAWL!!!

How can you even support a company like Apple? Nice insult as well, deeming someone an "android user" if they don't like Apple. Very mature.

I hate Apple, and I use a Windows phone. I love my windows phone, and I refuse to use android.

Quote Originally Posted by Woceip View Post
    They made the N-Gage. Do you really need more?
    I was actually coming in here to say this. The N-Gage was a bit ahead of its time (as it was basically an early smart phone) but it was designed horribly and marketed poorly.