Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Its a great way to level. 200k per pet battle at level 89. And you can do a battle every 3 minutes. Do the math.

60% of players have done at least 50 pet battles.

(I'll cover this in an upcoming armory stats post. Thanks for the idea!)

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magally View Post
    I started off loving them and felt things were nice and worked great with the trainer fights but with the addition of the bosses and stuff I lost interest as they were so tightly tuned that it also fell into the MMO min/max thing as it's constantly touted how certain combos win and everything else just loses.
    Yeah I know what you mean. I got all the non-PvP pet achieves up till Timeless Isle, and like you said they have tuned the battles so tightly that they are no fun.

Before the "tuning" happened you could do trainer and legendary battles with a wide variety of pets.

The "tuning" didn't make it harder, it just made it possible only a few pets. On the one hand, I don't really like working at a battle with trial and error for a long time. On the other hand, I don't like looking them up on WoWhead or wherever.

So, basically, I quit doing any pet battle daily anything. Maybe later I'll start up again. But I think Blizzard went entirely the WRONG way in making trainer battles "challenging." It didn't actually make them challenging, it just made them something you look up. Blah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Danner View Post
    Pet battles are fun. But the endgame is all too much about exploiting certain combos, not that fun.

Celestial tournament isn't remotely fair, don't like it.
    As a guildie of mine said after wiping for hours: "I have to win this THREE TIMES to get a reward?! Hell no!"
    This, more or less. But I am leveling mine anyways so that when Garrisons come out I'm ready for anything they got.

Also doing LFR for the pets before people stop doing that. :S

10+ Year Old Account
    I like the concept of pet battles but I wish it was handled very differently. I don't like how previously BoP pets are now tradeable, I don't like being able to have three of the same pet, and I don't like how you can't build a team of three that can be generically good.

I've did the the celestial tournament every single week of 5.4 until I got every single pet. After 10 weeks I was completely done with it and haven't touched it since. There is nothing you can gain from it nothing you can sell ect.

Before 5.4 I was power leveling a ton of pets though earned around 900 lesser charms just doing the pet tamers daily quests in preparation for the celestial tournament. But yeah pet battles is run by a few overpowered combo pets and ones you have all of the best pets getting more obsolete pets just feels like a waste of time.

I love them - but the new epic pet system has potential to turn me off - they talked about it being a RNG chance from breeding, and consuming one of your old pets

I think it was successful, at least to me. I enjoy collecting and leveling pet (only have ~50 level 25 pets, but I have Zookeeper and tons of TCG/store/vendor pets). PvP battles leave something to be desired, but that seems to always be the case with any type of PvP activities.

It fits in well with the rest of the game in this sense: I really like it, but not enough to spend $15.month to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilfrier View Post
    It fits in well with the rest of the game in this sense: I really like it, but not enough to spend $15.month to play it.
    Indeed, it's the complete product that makes me continue to play

10+ Year Old Account
    Pet Battles suffer the same fate that Pokemon does: There are those of us who enjoy it as a casual sidetrack, and then there are the min-max'ing competitive pet battlers. You would be absolutely FLOORED to hear what lengths people go through to get the 'perfect' pokemon for competitive battling; the samething occurs in WoW, though obviously the system in WoW is much less robust than Pokemon. But top-level pet battling is an absolute shit storm if you aren't prepared for it. You will get your ass handed to you by the same comps over and over again by people who spend far, far too much time taking what is supposed to be merely an optional thing and turn it into some other way to flex their e-peens from their parent's basements.

I myself enjoy it well enough, though none of my pets are level 25 and I don't do PvP battles. I enjoy trying to catch rares of every pet I run across, and will spend hours sometimes farming the same damned pet over and over again just to get the rare version. I try to catch every pet in a zone before I move onto the next. I don't pay attention to what 'buffs' the pets get - if you pay attention, some of them get a bonus to attack/speed/HP, etc, and it varies pet by pet, even copies of the same pet. People spend time farming the 'perfect' bonus on a pet, and I frankly don't give a hoot. I just want the rare versions. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    when i first heard about pet battles, i thought.. omg.. this is so cool. i get to collect unique pets in unique ways! Midnight is this pet, day time is this pet, sunny weather is this, snowy.. this. so on and so on. and yah it ~kinda happens~. what actually happens is, getting all the crummy pets easily, while spending months trying to get these 2-4 (out of over 600 btw) and then spend a few hours each, leveling them to 25.

seriously?!?

less tedious grinding levels (as a matter of fact remove the leveling altogether) and add in more unique and fun ways of finding.. catching these unique pets. it is supposed to be a side game. the leveling process literally sucks the fun right out of it. before you even get started. first 3 quests are simply level a random pet. it gets obnoxiously boring after 5 levels.
    Last edited by Sinndra; 2013-12-25 at 05:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I love it, however what I hate are the people that take pvp battles too seriously. Nothing more annoying than the clock work gnome, scourged whelpling+stun pet combo.

Takes forever to kill it and lets face it its a pvp pet battle there's really nothing at stake, 90% of the time I use 3 DM Tonks and call it a day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    I love it, however what I hate are the people that take pvp battles too seriously. Nothing more annoying than the clock work gnome, scourged whelpling+stun pet combo.

Takes forever to kill it and lets face it its a pvp pet battle there's really nothing at stake, 90% of the time I use 3 DM Tonks and call it a day.
    the focus should have been more about how you catch the pets, and less about the battles. removing the leveling of it would have shifted focus. people that want that beautiful combo would be out trying to get them in the creative fun ways that this system could have brought. instead we get.. level this pet TWENTY FIVE TIMES.. to even stand a chance. then do it for the perfect 3 team.. ugh. so boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

I have a pretty huge collection, and a *lot* of pets at level 25, but I got a little fed up with the system.

The Celestial Tournament pisses me off.

Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    At least it's not like Hearthstone, where people take up to a full minute for turns to spam emotes. I do foresee the quality of pvp pet battles degrading further with epic pets, as it significantly limits the pet pool. Getting rares is so easy now that there's a lot more originality.

i like pet battles, but you get to a point where you're like, what is there to do in it anymore? max level becomes a dead end. it's just dailies upon dailies, the same ones over and over again. maybe some pvp competitions but even then it's always the same fight over and over again basically, since everybody brings in mostly the same group of OP pets. i haven't done the celestial tournament - i have about 35 max level pets but i wasnt winning using any combo of pets among them so i looked on wowhead and all the strats require pets i don't have. which is annoying. pet battles shouldn't be about making sure you have the exact right pet team on a certain boss.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

I still enjoy them. The grinding kind of sucks, but I kill two birds with one stone by leveling characters through pet battles. It's actually quite affective.

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    i like pet battles, but you get to a point where you're like, what is there to do in it anymore?
    I feel that way about Hearthstone, though I still play the game about 30 mins a day. I think the problem is I'm too focused on the progression aspect, but realizing the progression is kind of meaningless and tedious. I'll take the blame for looking at it too much from that perspective, as with fighting/FPS games I just jump right in. Pet battles was also perpetual progression, and now that I've leveled over 200 pets to 25 I find myself struggling to do the rest lol. I still do my PVP pet weekly and the Celestial Tourney (in about 15 mins, have it set up with Rematch)
    Last edited by MrExcelion; 2013-12-25 at 06:24 AM.

I don't know why the celestial tournament is a problem. There's enough guides to complete it fairly fast and if your going to figure it out on your own. Then it should be expected to take some time.