Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Parry on target dummy & parry on opener

Hello,

my first question isn't strictly related to Warrior, but I might as well ask it here in this thread anyway as it relates. Do target dummies have a higher chance for you to parry? I ask this because I seem to notice more parries on a dummy than on a real boss. I know that's probably because I'm focusing on the tactics of a boss so I don't notice parries, but this brings me to my second question. Is it possible to parry with CS during an opener? I know that sounds odd, why shouldn't it be, but when on a dummy I parry with CS a lot more, even twice in a row, and I hit like a wet noodle. It's not yet happened during an opener on a boss, but that would REALLY suck. It's terrible if I parry a CS half way through a fight.

Thanks.

Some bosses have to turn around in order to cast something, like siegecrafter's sawblade. If you cast CS while he's facing you and you're unlucky, it can be parried.

About the dummies, I think it matters if you're hitting them from the front/behind too, not sure.

Deleted
    You are standing infront of the dummy or haven't capped exp.
    The reason you softcap expertise as melee is cause your supposed to always be behind boss, cause boss cant parry from behind.

This is easy to avoid on any boss, take siegecrafter, you know he'll launch sawblade towards where ranged is clumped up, so dont face him that way. Or simply watch the timer for sawblade and strafe.
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2013-12-29 at 12:36 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    You are standing infront of the dummy or haven't capped exp.
    The reason you softcap expertise as melee is cause your supposed to always be behind boss, cause boss cant parry from behind.

This is easy to avoid on any boss, take siegecrafter, you know he'll launch sawblade towards where ranged is clumped up, so dont face him that way. Or simply watch the timer for sawblade and strafe.
    ...how did I not know this in 8 years of playing WoW?

Ranged have it so easy, they just stand still. Melee already have to run around a lot and now I need worry about moving behind bosses that I can.

I guess there's not many bosses where you can choose to stand behind though due to tactics etc.
    Last edited by mmoc6dd45b8008; 2013-12-29 at 12:56 PM.

Deleted
    Indeed, the target dummy can parry if you're in front of it. 7.5% exp removes the chance the boss can dodge, but still has a chance to parry if you're attacking from the front. 15% expertise would remove that parry chance, but it's not worth going for, as you're wasting other more valuable stats to achieve it. Just make sure you're always behind.

The example given above, Siegecrafter is a good example of occasions when the boss may turn, meaning you'll then be in front. Just ask your tanks to fix this logically. In my guild we face Siegecrafter ALMOST toward the ranged, by almost, I mean if the ranged were standing north, we'd face it north east or north west. We do this for 2 reasons: 1) The boss only has a short distance to turn, and no longer needs to turn toward the melee, therefore melee can stay behind the boss without any problems. 2) Saw blades no longer risk travelling through melee to reach ranged.

TLDR; make sure you're looking at the bosses ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarithus View Post
    Ranged have it so easy, they just stand still. Melee already have to run around a lotand now I need worrt about moving behind bosses that I can.

I guess there's not many bosses where you can choose to stand behind though due to tactics etc.
    The tradeoff is that ranged get all of the hard mechanics to deal with - melee is generally very boring (Lei Shen is a good example).

And almost every boss you can stand behind all the time. There are times when it faces towards melee for whatever reason (Malkorok Blood Rage/Siegecrafter sawblade etc) but you should still spend 90% of your time behind the boss.

Hello,

my first question isn't strictly related to Warrior, but I might as well ask it here in this thread anyway as it relates. Do target dummies have a higher chance for you to parry? I ask this because I seem to notice more parries on a dummy than on a real boss. I know that's probably because I'm focusing on the tactics of a boss so I don't notice parries, but this brings me to my second question. Is it possible to parry with CS during an opener? I know that sounds odd, why shouldn't it be, but when on a dummy I parry with CS a lot more, even twice in a row, and I hit like a wet noodle. It's not yet happened during an opener on a boss, but that would REALLY suck. It's terrible if I parry a CS half way through a fight.

Thanks.
    The dummies in shrine is broken too. You can stand behind them and they still behave like you're in front, rather often.
    Use the ones in the hunter hut in orgrimmar if you're horde, for real single target, or just any other dummy than the shrine ones.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

Deleted

Ranged have it so easy, they just stand still. Melee already have to run around a lot and now I need worry about moving behind bosses that I can.

I don't mean to sound rude, but you are 9/14 HC. You do are being sarcastic, right? It's curiosity, don't mean to give offense.

Deleted

Im more curious which bosses you cant stand behind and what tactics would prevent it :s

10+ Year Old Account
    i always tell ppl to attack those dummies from behind as on bosses too

It can sometimes make things easier for melee actually, since melee pretty much have to stand behind the boss, a lot of positioning mechanics often have to target ranged, some mechanics ignore melee completely, and you pretty much know where you have to be 95% of the time regardless.

It is amazing you didn't know that tho. You'd think some1 would have noticed all the parries/dodges in ur logs and told ya. It's a big dps loss to stand in front, so enjoy the new boost to ur dps! =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Should also be noted that standing behind, if you're in that red ring under the boss (hitbox) then you can still be parried. So make sure you're standing outside it. Just wanted to post this common knowledge incase OP wasn't being sarcastic.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

boss mechanics called they want thier BEING ABLE TO TARGET MELEE back

ranged have it so easy my ass, all you need to do is tunnel vision the boss and somtimes move if the tank need to move the boss.
    "The speed of light is faster than the speed of sound.
    That's why so many people look smart until they start talking."

FC-0404-6893-4293 Fire safari Larvesta/Growlithe/Braixen IGN: X Archimand, Y Shina.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by santa666 View Post
    Im more curious which bosses you cant stand behind and what tactics would prevent it :s
    Immerseus
    Norushen
    Sha
    IJ
    Thok

Well, those are the ones where you can't stand behind.

Why wouldn't you stand behind those bosses? You just need to stand at the 180° that's not toward where the tank is standing.

You may need to go in front of the bosses at some points, but for the mainpart of the fight you'll be able to stand behind them.
    My Stream
    NollTvåTre Looking for Raiders

Deleted
    Well, those are the ones where you can't stand behind.
    Hmm. You dont have to be exactly behind him, its a 180 degree angle from his middle isnt it ?
    I do play tank so maybe its true but feels strange for so many bosses to gimp you :s

Immerseus - Cant you stand far edge of the quadrant from tanks and it counts as behind ?
    Norushen - Why, he's facing tanks ?
    Sha - Why, he's facing tanks ?
    IJ - Cant you stand behind him on the edge and it counts as behind ?
    Thok - If you stand close up on his leg, you avoid swipe and it counts as behind ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    The tradeoff is that ranged get all of the hard mechanics to deal with - melee is generally very boring (Lei Shen is a good example)
    Wat lol? Ranged is fucking ezmode in SoO
    Last edited by mmocc6fffc7f02; 2013-12-31 at 04:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Karjis View Post
    Wat lol? Ranged is fucking ezmode in SoO
    Compared to melee? Take a fight like Siegecrafter, melee only really has to deal with mines, we don't worry about Sawblades or Lock On. Klaxxi is simlar for both, but ranged gets to deal with Amber and Death From Above, both of which are near insant death at the later points of the fight.

Garrosh, melee sits on the boss 24/7 and does nothing. Ranged doesn't do much either but it's more than nothing at all.

Malkorok? Patchwerk for melee.

Rest are pretty even.

Don't get me wrong, none of these are super hard. But melee does almost always have it easy on mechanics, if we didn't our dps would be complete shit (Ascendant Council anyone?).

Quote Originally Posted by Frozendekay View Post
    Compared to melee? Take a fight like Siegecrafter, melee only really has to deal with mines, we don't worry about Sawblades or Lock On. Klaxxi is simlar for both, but ranged gets to deal with Amber and Death From Above, both of which are near insant death at the later points of the fight.
    You obviously don't do belt on Siegecrafter. It isn't particularly hard but takes a lot of running around. Especially when fire, magnetic pull, overload, etc is happening. More deaths come running to/from the belt than actually on the belt or in melee range of the boss.
    Klaxxi your melee generally have a harder time dealing with Whirling, due to hitbox issues, and dealing damage during Reave or Rapid Fire. Also most groups have more melee than ranged soaking Aim.

Point is, there is a trade off for every fight and for every spec. Nobody will ever win a "who has what easier" argument, because its very different for every fight.

The "general" trade off is that ranged usually have to deal with more mechanics; but they are simple, having to deal with spreading out and grouping or not grouping /10 yard spread, etc. I don't think anyone can really argue that is difficult. The reason ranged deal with this more than melee is because they have the benefit of being able to attack from a distance and most can move and maintain dps, it gives them a lot of flexibility.

Melee on the other hand, lose almost all damage potential (depending on class), as soon as they leave melee range and most bosses aren't big enough to give them room to deal with complicated mechanics while staying in melee range. The ones who are (Thok, Dragons) usually have some kind of limiter on melee range (Tail Swipe/Cleave).

try playing ranged, there's a reason some people bitch about lightning bolt being cast and move and spriests asking for mind flay to be channeled while moving etc etc, i wonder if it's because we just stand still and 75% of raid mechanics are ranged/healer only? while melee cannot even be targeted.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    The ones who are (Thok, Dragons) usually have some kind of limiter on melee range (Tail Swipe/Cleave).
    Thok? is this like worst example ever? oh yeh you lose dps while boss is kiting while casters just get spammed with an interrupt, point your hate towards hunters who just think thok is a patchwerk fight.