Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    not funny, not racist, not offensive, not low, just crap tv...

Quote Originally Posted by Decklan View Post
    Careful now, I think the implication was that without the bible, the military will cease to exist. There's not a single standing army in the world that doesn't follow the bible!
    It seems that his implication is that if you were to attempt to ban the bible then the military/police would stage a coup. That was my interpretation anyhow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferg View Post
    I've thought very carefully about banning the Bible.

After much careful consideration...it still seems like the best idea.
    Why would you ban books? What sort of careful consideration, lead you to the door step of book burning?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Why would you ban books? What sort of careful consideration, lead you to the door step of book burning?
    I would never support banning books.

But the fact that america has people in power RIGHT NOW who believe in apocalyptic theological ideas, believe in the idea of "chosen people", and believe that their "savior" will be back within their lifetimes...All of this sure makes me wish that certain books were banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangshang View Post
    I'm all for calling out both sides when they say something racist, but this is like watered down soup (if there is any soup actually in it) in comparison to what Fox sends out. It kind of more makes a point to how much worse Fox is if this is the worst thing we can find on MSNBC. ha
    Seems to be a growing trend among liberals that if their shit is less stinky than others, it's then alright.

Refresh my memory, what Fox news are you referring to?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Niroshi View Post
    It seems that his implication is that if you were to attempt to ban the bible then the military/police would stage a coup. That was my interpretation anyhow.
    The sad part is I'm not really sure which one is more ridiculous or farfetched.

As much as conservatives like to accuse liberals of making blanket statements, I know a large number of conservatives that aren't bible thumpers/humpers.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arcanist View Post
    I would never support banning books.

But the fact that america has people in power RIGHT NOW who believe in apocalyptic theological ideas, believe in the idea of "chosen people", and believe that their "savior" will be back within their lifetimes...All of this sure makes me wish that certain books were banned.
    Why would you ban the book though? Educate the people, banning the books only serves to justify their existence. It's counter productive and unethical. Banning the bible because it makes people think things you don't like, is just like banning Tropic of Cancer, because of the perversion it makes you think.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shurkuris View Post
    Seems to be a growing trend among liberals that if their shit is less stinky than others, it's then alright.

Refresh my memory, what Fox news are you referring to?
    That's a strawman. Nobody is actually saying the bad stuff liberal says is ok. NO, people are saying Fox News is legitmately worse. Bad is still bad, no matter what side of the castle you are on.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    The sad part is I'm not really sure which one is more ridiculous or farfetched.

As much as conservatives like to accuse liberals of making blanket statements, I know a large number of conservatives that aren't bible thumpers/humpers.
    Like actual objectivist...

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    Why would you ban the book though? Educate the people, banning the books only serves to justify their existence. It's counter productive and unethical. Banning the bible because it makes people think things you don't like, is just like banning Tropic of Cancer, because of the perversion it makes you think.
    Like I said, I wouldn't ban anything. But it makes me very uncomfortable that people who buy into apocalyptic theological "philosophy" are able to gain political power and get access to nuclear weapons. Like R-Money almost did in 2012.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said, I wouldn't ban anything. But it makes me very uncomfortable that people who buy into apocalyptic theological "philosophy" are able to gain political power and get access to nuclear weapons. Like R-Money almost did in 2012.
    I don't see your theory any more far fetched than the one that makes you uncomfortable. You are just substituting what sort of doomsday scenario you believe in...

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Yeah, go on. Please use full sentences.
    The ruling of the Dred Scott case boiled down to nobody of african descent can have citzenship and therefore are not protected by the constitution. Then we passed the 14th amendment to basically nullify the courts ruling. 50 years later they imprisoned people Japanese people for a similar justification, any right can be suspended during wartime.

Fast forward to today, we are in a never ending war with terrorism. That means that using the rationale of the SCOTUS, any right we have can be suspended at any time.

My statement was that we don't have rights, only privileges. If a right can be suspended at anytime it falls into the privilege category

- - - Updated - - -

Obama is a christian too

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    As the OP of the other thread said it, this is how I feel as well.
    Oh please, the guy who said this is full of it. Fox News wouldn't fire someone for saying this and you know it. I think CNN is the only one that would because they at least try to remain in the middle. Whereas only a fool would say Fox isn't right wing and MSNBC left etc.

This thread has quickly devolved into really angry and crazy sounding people bouncing "witty" insults at others off of one another, when the receiver has likely already left out of disgust. You guys are nuts. Take a walk, calm down a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigzoman20 View Post
    How else can he be held accountable for having several wifes and cheating? Jailtime? Denied a slot on crossfire, a tv show that has almost zero republican ties?
    you said the time for criticizing it was over. there's no time when criticism is censored.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    The ruling of the Dred Scott case boiled down to nobody of african descent can have citzenship and therefore are not protected by the constitution. Then we passed the 14th amendment to basically nullify the courts ruling. 50 years later they imprisoned people Japanese people for a similar justification, any right can be suspended during wartime.

Fast forward to today, we are in a never ending war with terrorism. That means that using the rationale of the SCOTUS, any right we have can be suspended at any time.

My statement was that we don't have rights, only privileges. If a right can be suspended at anytime it falls into the privilege category

- - - Updated - - -

Obama is a christian too
    You basically just linked the imprisonment of Japanese during wartime to justifying voter ID laws to prevent a portion of the minority population from voting.

If that isn't grasping at straws, I don't know what is.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

You basically just linked the imprisonment of Japanese during wartime to justifying voter ID laws to prevent a portion of the minority population from voting.

If that isn't grasping at straws, I don't know what is.
    Minorities arent the only ones being required to get IDs to vote, less than half of the american population votes if anything the amount of money in politics is disenfranchising to voters.

Aside from your shitty retort, the point was that we don't have rights, only privileges

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Minorities arent the only ones being required to get IDs to vote, less than half of the american population votes if anything the amount of money in politics is disenfranchising to voters.
    Voter ID does not effect disenfranchised voters, only those who intend to vote. Bringing up money disenfranchising voters, in a response to voter ID, seems like a chewbacca defense...

Somehow MSNBC gets to do stuff like this (also thinking of a certain someone who said Sara Palin should have people defecate in her mouth) and still be considered by many to be a 'credible' news source.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matters View Post
    Somehow MSNBC gets to do stuff like this (also thinking of a certain someone who said Sara Palin should have people defecate in her mouth) and still be considered by many to be a 'credible' news source.
    What do you expect when some people treat 'funniest movements of 2013' as news?