invalid OEM Windows key

Hey,

I bought an OEM copy of Windows 7 for my new build, and I can't seem to activate windows at all from the key on the CD case. The damn print is small as hell, but I've tried almost every variation I can think of (Bs for 8s, Xs and Ys, Gs and Cs) I don't know if my eyesight is just failing or if this happens when you buy OEM copies of Windows.

Any advice?

10+ Year Old Account
    Call Microsoft and they can probably help you better than we would be able to here.
    Desktop: Antec Twelve-Hundred v3| ASUS VH236H | i5-3570k @ 4.5 | MSI 660ti PE | AsRock z77 Extreme4 | 16GB G.Skill 1866 | Havik 140 | Vertex 3 90gb Boot ssd | Kingston 240gb ssd | 620w Antec | Logitech G500, G510, G930
    Laptop: ASUS U36JC-B2B Tablet: HP Touchpad 16gb | Asus Infinity 32gb
    Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i with 18-55mm IS & 75-300mm
    Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...en/Cc/advanced

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Hey,

I bought an OEM copy of Windows 7 for my new build, and I can't seem to activate windows at all from the key on the CD case. The damn print is small as hell, but I've tried almost every variation I can think of (Bs for 8s, Xs and Ys, Gs and Cs) I don't know if my eyesight is just failing or if this happens when you buy OEM copies of Windows.

Any advice?
    When prompted for the Key, tick the checkbox below the field you would enter the key into. Do not enter anything for a key. This will allow you to finish the install. Once you have all your drivers installed, you can then activate online, and be done. You have 30 days to activate. This allows you time to troubleshoot stuff before you do the activation.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

I did finish the install after skippping. I've updated all the drivers, but I don't see how activaitng online solves any problems, as it's still asking for the key off the box which I have but isn't working.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did you buy the OEM from?

You should just be able to use the link when it doesn't work to contact/call microsoft and get it sorted out.

Alternatively, if you feel like it, you can get an image and PM me it (DO NOT POST IT HERE) and I can verify the numbers for you.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I'll do the MS thing, I was just hoping there was a solution that didn't involve calling customer service.

I got it from some place called Outlet PC. It was on pcpartpicker.com, so I didn't think twice about it.
    Last edited by eschatological; 2014-01-02 at 06:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where did you buy it from? You mentioned 'case' but OEM usually don't come in a case...
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

I edited it in. Outlet PC.

It was a CD jewel case like PS/XBox games come in (rectangular) with a UPC and the product key sticker on the back of it, along with the booklet inside

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if I call MS, will they frown on an end user purchasing an OEM copy of Windows?

AFAIK the OEM copies for Win 7 were supposed to be sold with a pc component cause they were supposed to "tied" to that component but it never really mattered. I doubt they are going to care, all they usually care about is that the code is legit and its installed on 1 computer. Worst case would be the code is fake or blacklisted and they don't activate it and offer to sell you a legit key. I'd take a look at micorosft's site they have examples of what the COA Stickers should look like to tell if they are fake because it shouldnt be hard to read.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/howto...aspx#Packaging
    Last edited by Javelin3o4; 2014-01-02 at 06:23 PM.

Hmmmm...

I took some pictures to post here, and I got a really good focus snap of a code I had thought I had tried. Then I realized I *didn't* get all the combos of commonly mistyped letters. GODDAMN YOU YOU SILLY Bs/8s + a C mistaken for a G!

Grrrrrr.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Hmmmm...

I took some pictures to post here, and I got a really good focus snap of a code I had thought I had tried. Then I realized I *didn't* get all the combos of commonly mistyped letters. GODDAMN YOU YOU SILLY Bs/8s + a C mistaken for a G!

Grrrrrr.
    Protip: NEVER share your keys on a forum. If you decide to share with someone you trust (still dumb though imo) do it privately.

Oh, don't worry, I was in the process of blacking everything out to show the (what I thought was) unconventional packing/sticker compared to normal retail versions. Then I noticed the picture I took had a really clear, magnified view of the key which I thought I had tried, so I went for it.

On another note: I definitely need glasses.

Deleted
    When trying to activate Windows, click on "activate over the phone" Takes 2 minutes.

Some copies of OEM wont automatically activate if there is no slic in the bios.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Where did you buy it from? You mentioned 'case' but OEM usually don't come in a case...
    OEM 7 comes in a clear DVD case