10+ Year Old Account

[Question] EvE Online

Anyone here ever played this game?? been looking at playing something new and i've always liked the space-faring types but i hear it takes a long time to master the game..

Can anyone share some of their own experiences?

Seriously though, it absolutely has a much higher learning curve than any Western MMO I've played, but I find the game very fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

I spent some time trying to learn it not long ago, and quickly gave up when I realized how stiff the competition is, and how cutthroat and unforgiving the game itself is. I feel like it might have been a game I would have liked, if I had started it when it came out. "A long time to master" is a pretty massive understatement I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish that I could get into it, never could though. I've met a few players who are heavily invested into the game and they make it seem also. Ever once in awhile I come across interesting articles about the politics in the game, but its truly a niche game. I really want a solid sci-fi MMORPG to come out. It doesn't even have to be mind blowing, just solid (not looking forward to Wildstar for various reasons).

To be effective in most small gang pvp you basically have to know what every ship does, what matchups are favorable or unfavorable, pay attention to what weapon setups they're using, etc. Unless you wanna just be a tackle frigate and get blown up gloriously all the time. Or you can latch onto a large 0.0 alliance and go fleet blobbing. The game does a really poor job at valuating the industry and mining side of things IMHO. Something I'm hopeful will change with the upcoming Star Citizen.

10+ Year Old Account
    Generaly the game is just a point and click game where you have very limited control what are you doing.
    So if you think you can do that:

You can forget it!
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I've played EVE for about nine years now, and it's still hands down the best MMO I've ever come across. Yes, the learning curve is horrific, yes, it's stupidly unfair and difficult at times, but in terms of immersion and actual fulfillment, nothing else comes close. My advice to you if you want to start would be to find one of the established newbie-friendly corps/alliances (Red vs Blue / EVE University / Brave Newbies) - they'll teach you the basics of how to survive in space and fund your exploits.

Where you go from there is up to you. Hated pirate, envied industrialist, feared bounty hunter, intrepid explorer, null-sec warlord... all are possible.

Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post

Seriously though, it absolutely has a much higher learning curve than any Western MMO I've played, but I find the game very fun.
    problem with this, is how it dates back in -07 or so, when the game had a learning curve like that.
    Nowadays, it has good tutorials which tell you everything you need to start the game, if you bother to read them properly.
    After the tutorials, there are multiple corporations who are on the lookout for new players.
    Take EvE University as an example.
    They take in day 1 players and school them in things they want to be schooled in, with the possible addition of War if there is a Wardec going on.

Even the biggest alliances, Goonswarm being the most popular, need new players.
    And if their "propaganda" is to be believed, even they encourage new players to join them.

All in all, worth a try, finding a group to play with is a necessity, that game doesn't last long alone.

Deleted
    I tried it, I enjoyed the concept but not playing the game. I like to be good at MMOs and competitive, and I would have had to study something akin to actually going to school in order to be good at EvE. If you've got that time and desire then it is a fantastic game, and - just my personal opinion - I think it has one of the best communities you can find in an MMO. If you really want to get really really into a game then it will embrace you. Definitely not for everyone though.