Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

The legend of the rent

There is no better feeling then paying the rent. What do you guys feel good about each month?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its automated, so I dont really notice it.
    The electrical bill though... I forget about that one each time, it breaks me as hard as Dolph Lundgren would've.
    I like juice

Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    There is no better feeling then paying the rent.
    Collecting the rent.

/thread

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Zannis View Post
    Collecting the rent.

/thread
    /shakefist

Deleted
    Really?

I feel pretty poor after paying it...

Probably me getting all the new food in at the shop i do

Collecting the rent.

/thread
    Lol this guy won.

Paying rent is stupid. You don't actually own anything, you're saying "hey thanks for letting me live here past month, take this money as my appreciation" and you wind up with nothing but a place you lived. At least, that's what the act of paying rent is, of course some people can't afford to buy their own place.

Paying more on your mortgage each month than whats due. That's a good feeling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Lol this guy won.

Paying rent is stupid. You don't actually own anything, you're saying "hey thanks for letting me live here past month, take this money as my appreciation" and you wind up with nothing but a place you lived. At least, that's what the act of paying rent is, of course some people can't afford to buy their own place.

Now I feel terrible

It feels good to pay rent? IDK, the only time I think paying a bill is satisfying is if it's the last payment for w/e it is. I guess it's satisfying to know you'll have a roof over your head a bit while longer but unfortunately rent decreases your assets, whereas with a mortgage you generally break even with your investment...you could get all or most of your money back when/if you decide to sell the house/condo.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Lol this guy won.

As a person who majored in finance, I can say this is pretty inaccurate, and financially bad way of looking at things.

While owning a house can eventually be a good investment, it is a very, very bad one for many years. After closing costs, interest, homeowner's insurance, property taxes, and average upkeep costs, the breakeven point (where the amount invested in the principle of your mortgae equals the amount you would have saved by renting and not paying these other costs) is somewhere around 14 years.

Owning a house is great if you plan on being there for a long time. So many people own many different houses over their lifetime, when more often than not, they would have been better renting and waiting to buy that one great home where they knew they'd spend the rest of their lives (at least until retirement).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grimsanta View Post
    As a person who majored in finance, I can say this is pretty inaccurate, and financially bad way of looking at things.

While owning a house can eventually be a good investment, it is a very, very bad one for many years. After closing costs, interest, homeowner's insurance, property taxes, and average upkeep costs, the breakeven point (where the amount invested in the principle of your mortgae equals the amount you would have saved by renting and not paying these other costs) is somewhere around 14 years.

Owning a house is great if you plan on being there for a long time. So many people own many different houses over their lifetime, when more often than not, they would have been better renting and waiting to buy that one great home where they knew they'd spend the rest of their lives (at least until retirement).

I should not feel bad for paying rent. Thank you Grimsanta. These kids will some day learn a lesson about the real world hopefully.

10+ Year Old Account
    Paying rent is not legendary. What's legendary is........being rich.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

As someone who has majored in life, I can assure you that the textbooks aren't always correct.

I never said buying a house/paying a mortgage is great lol. I said the feeling of paying rent shouldn't be "legendary." Of course people have different situations in which they can't be in a place a long time or the house they rent might depreciate in value or they just can't afford it and I understand that, but paying rent for housing is like paying for a really expensive high quality meal: you have nothing to show for it after its use, so I hope the taste was worthwhile. I prefer to actually have something to show for things I put my money in.

Just sayin.' I'm not disagreeing with you at all, I just think I was misunderstood.

As someone who has majored in life, I can assure you that the textbooks aren't always correct.
    Sorry bub, this is math, and math doesn't lie.

Sorry bub, this is math, and math doesn't lie.
    It's laughable that he actually thinks he knows more about it than you.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor Komalov View Post
    It's laughable that he actually thinks he knows more about it than you.
    Everyone knows that feelings and anecdotes trump science and math. (Sarcasm in case you can't tell...)

Deleted
    Getting to watch anime at work, I suppose is something I like.

15+ Year Old Account

Totally agree on this. Owning a house sure feels good and reassuring, but there are LOTS of drawbacks on this.

And another completely not finance-related question: what's the point of owning it ? Being even more tied to a place that will give you a very hard time if you want to leave later ? Sure you can think about selling it and buying another elsewhere. If you have years to spend trying to do so. And don't hope for any of these to happen in less than a year, also don't believe the prices you think about for both will be what you'll get in the end. Staying free is worth the rent (unless you can buy without loan or you're 100% sure to stay there for about 20 years)

I'm very glad I finally chose to remain tenant and not owner as I almost did last year. This would have TOTALLY screwed up every plans I made for this year and the years to come. (even if I didn't have to take a really long loan for it)

But current best feeling for me is not paying it. It's the daily countdown until the end of my notice, which makes me feel really good, and very crazy. And feeling crazy is the best thing in life. Be crazy, all of you.

Deleted
    Collecting the rent.

/thread
    <- this.

It's odd, but I love when I go out and buy groceries. There's something about doing this one normal everyday thing I find really satisfying.