Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What do you think of this man's opinion on video games never being real art?

http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jou...n-never-be-art

Interesting article, although I am not sure if the writer is to be taken seriously as he is noted to being a significant anime fan (giving biased reviews to Miyazaki films).

Discuss? What do you think?
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Deleted
    What difference does him being an anime fan make to his opinions? He sounds like a dick not because he watches chinese cartoons but because he is stubborn and refuses to change..

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... iPad "Paintings" By David Hockney where just featured at San Francisco’s deYoung Museum. So the limitation is not the medium. Frankly, I find games like The Stanley Parable more art then game.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Most things nowadays are considered art...

Probably wouldn't take long to find a gallery with some pretentious prick trying to tell you how two red squares represent the social inequality inherent in modern America or something.

Oh and didn't some bloke in France tie a dog up and leave it to die and call the process art?

Yeah, seems it's an incredibly subjective understanding.

10+ Year Old Account
    That article was hammered to hell and back with better arguments and great examples back when it was new. And if he actually pays attention to the way games have evolved even in these short years, he is currently regretting that article.
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    What difference does him being an anime fan make to his opinions? He sounds like a dick not because he watches chinese cartoons but because he is stubborn and refuses to change..
    Off-Topic just for a moment, but it is said that watching anime lowers your credibility on a subject matter regarding serious art. That's why I pointed that out, as well as the fact that Ebert is notorious for being so open to Japanese animation, yet refuses to acknowledge games as art.

Deleted
    x-can-never be art but hey shitting on a canvas can be.

Roger Ebert is an ass and always has been.

10+ Year Old Account
    Remember the kid that wanted to lose his virginity in front of a classroom of students? Yeah, that was considered art.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calzaeth View Post
    And if he actually pays attention to the way games have evolved even in these short years, he is currently regretting that article.
    He's not currently doing anything. Ebert died back in April.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I believe he is dead now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    But he gave us Beyond the Valley of the Dolls!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Off-Topic just for a moment, but it is said that watching anime lowers your credibility on a subject matter regarding serious art. That's why I pointed that out, as well as the fact that Ebert is notorious for being so open to Japanese animation, yet refuses to acknowledge games as art.
    Said by who?

Personally I don't see the appeal in watching cartoons as an adult or the attraction of the girls in signatures made to look young, but I don't understand how that impairs a person's ability to be appreciate art.

Deleted
    Why would this mans opinion matter?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    http://www.rogerebert.com/rogers-jou...n-never-be-art

Interesting article, although I am not sure if the writer is to be taken seriously as he is noted to being a significant anime fan (giving biased reviews to Miyazaki films).

Discuss? What do you think?
    Again this all has to do with taste....

It is either high-brow or low-brow art, and Ebert's opinion... "No one in or out of the field has ever been able to cite a game worthy of comparison with the great poets, filmmakers, novelists and poets." is typically a high-brow opinion. I wonder how many games that 70 year old man has played in his life....my guess is that it is zero.

If movies can be considered as art, which I am sure Ebert will agree, then video games snugly fit right beside movies.

I believe old men's opinions over our modern times are overrated, just look at US's Congress.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

I don't even need to read it to know that he's wrong. Games are an entirely valid form of artistic expression. Just look at The Stanley Parable, Thomas was Alone, The Walking Dead, hell: even the triple A games such as Call of Duty and Mass Effect are art.

That said, I've just read the article and it's essentially him sticking to his narrow definition of art. Boring.

To me, art is supposed to mean something. It should evoke an emotion, make a point, tell a story. Games can do all of these, and thus games can be art.

Quote Originally Posted by Mycroft Holmes View Post
    Said by who?

Personally I don't see the appeal in watching cartoons as an adult or the attraction of the girls in signatures made to look young, but I don't understand how that impairs a person's ability to be appreciate art.
    Isn't the story and subject matter more important than the medium in which it's conveyed?

10+ Year Old Account
    I understand the stance of Ebert, and where he is coming from. He does have a point, and on many aspects he is right.
    He is wrong imo, if he generalizes. He's aware of that danger too, which shows by him quoting Rick Wakeman.

To me, it's like that...... Are video games art?
    Some can be, that's for sure.
    Can video games live up to certain examples of art? Nope, most certainly not.
    But this is much more of a quality aspect than anything..
    Not every playwright reaches the levels of Shakespeare and the like
    Not every painting reaches the levels of Michelangelo, Duerer and the like

And yet still a play written by a rather unknown playwright still is art. Much like a picture painted by a hobby painter still is art.
    With that said, some video games are definitely art, but only very few may ever elevate into the ranks of famous arts and artists.

Which gives me a closure by getting back to Wakeman. He is in fact a great example...
    Music too is art.... Wakeman is an exceptionally gifted musician and composer. Highly influential as keyboard player to generations of later times.
    Most he inspired will never ever reach his level of skill and creativity, and yet, they still are artists..
    Last edited by Wildtree; 2014-01-08 at 05:02 PM.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    Why would this mans opinion matter?
    He was probably the best known film critic in North America, if not in the English-speaking work. Haven't you ever heard of "Siskel and Ebert"?

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Deleted
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_Video_Games

I don't see why games couldn't be art like films, books or paintings? Or design, architecture or any usable form of art. Modern games have loads of writing, designing and artistic skills of painting and drawing behind them as well as music composing. To be honest games are like marriage between writing, drawing, design and composing. It's interactive art!