10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third

Scammers - why do they do it?

Never could understand why someone desires to rip other people off especially after that person trusts them. Seems like you cant trust anyone at all
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

10+ Year Old Account
    They make money off of people. Why else would they do it? It's nothing personal, on their end.

10+ Year Old Account
    Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Because there are people who fall for it so easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    Seems like you cant trust anyone at all
    Welcome to living with the human race, especially in a setting where everyone is anonymous. Rumor is there is shady people in rl too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because stupid folks exist and everyone likes money, and they don't care about others and/or have no morals.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never could understand why someone desires to rip other people off especially after that person trusts them. Seems like you cant trust anyone at all
    Supply and demand, is the magical phrase. Just like the auctions. They are there because part of the player base out there makes orders, in the end, a business like everythig else - except, this isn't quite legal.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people prefer taking the advantages of someone gullible for easy money instead of working their asses off, that's just how people are.

Because there are people in this world that have a very underdeveloped sense of morals. It's not just that they don't care about what happens to someone else, but that they don't care that it's wrong. And not for nothing, but it's a societal problem as much as it is a WoW scammer problem. Moreso, even. Garbage in, garbage out.

*Some people just want to find the crack in the wall and use it, focusing on that crack and disregarding the rest of the wall. It's just the way the work.

*Upbringing left much to be desired value-wise. They were simply taught different lessons than others growing up.

*They need money.

*They like getting the money in a way that doesn't constitute as honest labor. They think only mentally cages people go down that road.

*Doing something you're good at is usually more fun than doing something you're bad at. They're just good at it.

*Added bonus might be the thrill.

Most likely there are other reasons as well.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Never did anything of the sort IRL, but I did con 300k+ gold from people on my old server at the BC era in WoW. It was rather easy and it is odd.

1.I bought a unique (No other item on the AH. Usually a world drop epic.) item on the AH on my level 40 main.

2.Post it back up for a really insane amount back (even a 2k difference) on the AH.

3.Spam trade "WTB <Item I bought here>" for an even more insane amount on a different alt so my name doesn't show up. Even when people still called me out for it, people were still buying my item and trading the item for me in which I'd log out on my level one alt, delete it, then repeat process all over again in a couple of hours/next day.

I was scamming people that'd con me out of a couple of gold if I was being genuine. It felt oddly poetic, scamming the scammers. Of course, that was when I was thirteen or something like that so I was a real asshole back in the day plus I didn't know how to genuinely make gold on my own and I knew better than to buy gold and it was all technically legal on the TOS level. Sure, they threatened to report you but can you imagine how that ticket would be written out? Heh.

Thinking back on it, it's interesting how many people would take advantage of you even if I had genuine, honest people telling me that there was a cheaper price on the AH in /whisper.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-01-08 at 09:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    Money can be exchanged for goods and services.
    Id rather have a peanut...

Perhaps to give them a taste of their own medicine?

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    We should have cumbersome iron sticks for currency. Nobody would want to be rich then!

Sounds like someone got scammed. But to stay on topic they do it for the money or reward in the end like others have stated. It sucks to be on the receiving end.