Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Draenei vs. Protoss

I'm going to start this thread by saying that I am hopeful for WoD and everything that it entails, not trying to QQ past the point of aesthetics.

I noticed a long time ago the parallels between the protoss and the draenei, in figure, architecture, and culture, however, with the introduction of WoD at Blizzcon it really started to strike me due to the slightly revamped draenic architecture. All the new draenic buildings in WoD seem to drift away from the original draenei architecture that we were introduced to in BC and has begun to resemble more closely the kind of style that is iconic of the Protoss from Starcraft, or more specifically the style of the Protoss in SC2.

Has anyone else noticed this and/or is bothered by the change? I know it's not easy to give every race in WoW their own aesthetic quality, but the old style of the Draenei was more than satisfactory and still gave the Draenei a semi-original vibe.

Thoughts?
    "I intend to live forever."

Deleted
    The original architecture was nonexistant. There were merely ruins (Shattrath, BT, …) or parts of naaru architecture (e.g. shattered parts of exodar on the draenei isles).

That actually bothered me a lot. A high culture that is several 10.000 years old (according to the fact that 25.000 years ago they separated from the eredar) that is very intelligent and said to be the most powerful race currently on azeroth. That society doesn’t even have their own architecture?

The architecture seen for WoD seems more fitting to them – may there be parallels to the protoss or not.

All their architecture in BC was ruins and/or ship debris. We haven't seen proper draenei architecture before.

Maybe post some links so we know what you are referring to? I don't really mind if their buildings look reminiscent of Protoss, they already sort of do anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would argue that the ruins of architecture that we have seen doesn't leave many gaps, general structure and aesthetic value of the BT and Shat are both relatively well intact, and the pictures posted at Blizzcon, while reminiscent of the BC, are likely not what the viewer of the original structures from BC, would have imagined coming before, at least that's how I feel.
    "I intend to live forever."

I wouldn't say so. Protoss architecture generally seems to revolve around lots of shiny surfaces, metallic structures and visible energy everywhere, Draenei seems more granite built, with windows now that they're not all broken, large airy spaces and round features sometimes, which they do share with the Protoss, but that's where I think it ends.

Draenei architecture seems habitable, Protoss seems cold and unwelcoming. Then again, we've never seen a homeworld of the Protoss properly in any cinematic, most of what we've had are the base structures themselves.

I would see Protoss to have more high reaching arches and high reaching buildings, and more Egyptian looking, while I'd say Draenei are a mix of slight Aztec with some original features of their own (see Exodar). Draenei have church like architecture, with lots of windows and entrances, Protoss look alien and closed off, like they're hiding secrets everywhere.
    Last edited by Ballantines; 2014-01-08 at 02:53 AM.

"My life for Argus!"

Sounds close enough. All we need is psy-blade weapons in WoW and the transformation will be complete.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Exodar is not Draenei design. The "architecture" in the Draenei starting zones was mostly built from the bits and pieces of the Exodar found after the crash, so also not their architecture.

Everything in outland that was Draenei was destroyed, and it's difficult to judge their design choices based on several-hundred year old ruins.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

As someone who did the blizzcon demo the defense crystal in Karabor had a Protoss feel to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    For what it's worth, I've pretty much always believed that Draenei and Protoss are different forks off the same branch in Metzen's head. It may be deliberate, it may be that he had to come up with something in a hurry once they decided not to go with Pandaren in BC. Draenei being one of my favorite races I'm looking forward to seeing Draenor and hopefully a very large expansion of their lore over the next couple of years.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

We've had a mini zergling pet, but no mini zealot pet.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    We've had a mini zergling pet, but no mini zealot pet.

Coincidence? I THINK NOT!
    Forsaken=zerg.
    Sylvanas=Karrigan

15+ Year Old Account
    It was the first thought I had when I saw the first Broken back in TBC. "WTF is a short hunched protoss doing in Warcraft? Oh, right, spacegoats...". Kind of like this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Forsaken=zerg.
    Sylvanas=Karrigan
    So true actually. The primal zerg theme is the Forsaken story wrapped in sci-fi.

Draenei are based, appearance-wise, on Eredar, which were invented in Warcraft III, and held little to no philosophical links with Protoss. Now it's possible a lot of the same ideas from creating/developping the Protoss have seeped into the Draenei, probably subconsiously, but I very much doubt they were meant to be the Protoss of Warcraft.

They do seem to have quite a bit in common with the 40K Eldar, though, more so than even the Protoss do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    Draenei are based, appearance-wise, on Eredar, which were invented in Warcraft III, and held little to no philosophical links with Protoss. Now it's possible a lot of the same ideas from creating/developping the Protoss have seeped into the Draenei, probably subconsiously, but I very much doubt they were meant to be the Protoss of Warcraft.

They do seem to have quite a bit in common with the 40K Eldar, though, more so than even the Protoss do.
    Im not sure what draenei have in common with eldar, other than being punching bag.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    One would think a race that is able to build ships that can traverse a galaxy would have more advanced weapons than the races of Azeroth.

Not crossbows and Crystal Hammers.

Yeah, it's the same with the orc clans. Garadar and the scraps we spotted in outland are not representative of a civilization in their prime. Black temple was a decrepit skeleton of Karabor, so it makes sense that it would look a hell of a lot prettier in WoD. Protossness is probably inevitable, but Bloodelves have been pimping pylons since 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Asthreon View Post
    One would think a race that is able to build ships that can traverse a galaxy would have more advanced weapons than the races of Azeroth.

Not crossbows and Crystal Hammers.
    Because draenei technology is heavily dependent on magic. It's not pure technology like what gnomes or goblins use.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    Draenei are based, appearance-wise, on Eredar, which were invented in Warcraft III
    *cough* D&D *cough* 4th edition *cough* tiefling *cough*

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    *cough* D&D *cough* 4th edition *cough* tiefling *cough*
    Original character, do not steal ?
    Also, accusing blizzard for borrowing from other fantasy uniwerses is baseless, and probably just rambling of haters.