Poll: Of the existing classes, which do you think should have a 4th spec for tanking?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Suggestion: 4th Specialization (tanking) for a specific class.

It is my opinion that the Shaman would be a good choice to give one class 4th Specialization (tanking), because:

Gameplay
    • There are two classes that uses leather armor and three that uses plate armor, but no class that can tank in mail armor.
      So it fits nice that Shaman uses mail armor and can carry a shield with axe, mace or fist weapon.
    • Shaman has good class spells that can work with with tanking, like [Rockbiter Weapon] for threat.
      All you need now is to provide core spells for the tanking spec, since the Shaman already have other spells in general that is overall good.

Uniqueness
    • [Reincarnation], revive yourself in combat.
    • Totems that works for tanking, and totems that summon elementals to aid you in combat.
    • New spells based on Earth for defensive attacks, and new spells based on Elemental (Fire, Lightning) for aggressiv attacks.

Lore
    • I do not think it needs any explanation from me, for anyone to imagine that the Shaman can be the a tank, an Earth-Warder.

Last words: Maybe you think a different class (that exist) should have a tanking specialization, instead of Shaman.
    So I'm interested in your ideas and opinions. Please share.

10+ Year Old Account
    No to fourth specs. Too much development effort, not enough impact.

New tanking specs won't lead to more tanks, it didn't with DKs or Monks, new specs are unlikely to change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    No to fourth specs. Too much development effort, not enough impact.

New tanking specs won't lead to more tanks, it didn't with DKs or Monks, new specs are unlikely to change that.
    It's okay to hear your opinion.

But then this thread doesn't seem to be for you.
    Because the question is not whether there should be a fourth spec.
    The question is, if there was to be a fourth spec for tanking, for an existing class.. which class should that be.
    Last edited by SwizzleTweets; 2014-01-10 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Spellcheck

I'd love a tank spec for my shaman. Don't think it will ever happen though
    Quote Originally Posted by Davillage View Post
    So don't wear skimpy clothes getting raped is not entirely out of your control either.

I would actually love to see enhancement as a tanking spec. Lets face it a dual wield fist weapon wearing shaman tearing through enemies while holding aggro... Would be AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    warlock.

but really, with magic, any class could be turned into a tank. i mean, the mages kept that impenetrable shield over Dalaran for so long, what's to keep magic from making an impenetrable shield around a player?

and my warlock is better at soloing difficult fights than my blood dk, so...

Definitely in the Shaman boat too. Heck, in Vanilla I thought enhancement was a tanking spec when I first made one, but turns out the armor buff was totally useless.

10+ Year Old Account
    If there has to be a 4th spec, then shaman 4th spec would be a tanking spec. I think to many people became angry when blizzard scraped shaman tanking after classic (not saying shaman tanking was viable in classic, but back then even Paladins weren't viable). I only started playing a shaman in wrath, and as enhancement, almost all people had is tanking moment in 5mans (when tank died for example), i even remember people making threads with guides for shaman tanking guides.

Still, after i had been a warrior tank, i realised i don't like to tank, and i wouldn't turn my shaman into a tank.

no. just like the silly little tinker/demon hunter, whatever some little child thinks up next threads.
    we have too many tank classes now.
    with notable wannabe tanks that were given functionality this expansion but should not have.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

If any non-tanking class would get a tanking tree, then Shaman should be the one to get it.
    Really that simple. It fits the theme, is easiest to actualize (mechanically), and even has some roots in Vanilla history (though not much).

-Mages: Too much trouble with solid defenses, so should wear int plate (attractive because Holidin), but still problematic because of base Mage kit (too much CC)
    -Priests: Already have a tanking spec. It's called 'Paladin.'
    -Warlock: Doesn't fit the theme at all, despite Glyph of Demon Hunting. Could be done (int-plate, again), but would rely too heavily on healthdrain mechanics (overlap with Blood?), and still... Doesn't fit the theme.
    -Rogue: Swashbuckler spec... Hmm... Can be done, won't be fun. Combo-points are a problematic resource at best, and not suited for tanking.
    -Hunter: Too much range. Pet control causes problems with movement fights. Hunters can be a back-up defender when all else fails, but a true tanking spec is both counter-intuitive gameplay-wise, as well as completely not fitting the theme.

So we're left with Shaman.

15+ Year Old Account
    If they brought back Shaman tanking but now in a viable state.. I don#t think I#d ever play my druid again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trollhammer View Post
    If they brought back Shaman tanking but now in a viable state.. I don#t think I#d ever play my druid again.

Yeah. You would be come "that guy" who flips his tank spec on qued as dps just to piss with real tanks, much like many warlocks and huntards do.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Yeah. You would be come "that guy" who flips his tank spec on qued as dps just to piss with real tanks, much like many warlocks and huntards do.
    So... That's some major leap of conjecture...

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss Shaman Tanking , They kinda were viable Off Tanks in Vanilla/ TBC.

If any class gets a viable off tanking spec I hope it is Shamans over Warlocks.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

4th specs before new classes! WoW players want depth, not breadth!

WoW need more tanks! Start small and give tank specs to a couple of classes at first. Add other specs in the future.

Shaman tanks! 2hd! Earth spec! I'll play it forever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    -Hunter: Too much range. Pet control causes problems with movement fights. Hunters can be a back-up defender when all else fails, but a true tanking spec is both counter-intuitive gameplay-wise, as well as completely not fitting the theme.
    simple.
    - 4th spec is DW melee (think rexxar).
    - tanking cooldowns that split damage to pet.
    - aspect of turtle increasing armor, stamina and threat.
    - multi-shot turns into "marked for kill", (target-able like monk barrels). deals damages a % of all damage dealt by hunter to nearby targets to these targets.
    - arcane shot now is "Gut"(think stormstrike with lower damage but a small DOT and applies weaken, this spreads to all targets afflicted with "Marked for Kill").

i think it would be totally doable, and honestly i would play nothing but that.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapple View Post
    simple.
    - 4th spec is DW melee (think rexxar).
    - tanking cooldowns that split damage to pet.
    - aspect of turtle increasing armor, stamina and threat.
    - multi-shot turns into "marked for kill", (target-able like monk barrels). deals damages a % of all damage dealt by hunter to nearby targets to these targets.
    - arcane shot now is "Gut"(think stormstrike with lower damage but a small DOT and applies weaken, this spreads to all targets afflicted with "Marked for Kill").

i think it would be totally doable, and honestly i would play nothing but that.
    I completely agree that that would work. But what it would NOT be is a 'hunter.'

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I completely agree that that would work. But what it would NOT be is a 'hunter.'
    Blizzard and I appear to have different ideas on what 'hunter' is. looked up rexxar on wowhead (cant post the link, to few posts) the only abilities listed are melee.

It may not fit some people think hunters should be, but if you played vanilla, many survival talents purely raised melee dps.

I know its opinion based, but it doesn't break the mold of what a 'hunter' can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapple View Post
    Blizzard and I appear to have different ideas on what 'hunter' is. looked up rexxar on wowhead (cant post the link, to few posts) the only abilities listed are melee.

It may not fit some people think hunters should be, but if you played vanilla, many survival talents purely raised melee dps.

I know its opinion based, but it doesn't break the mold of what a 'hunter' can be.
    It's not necessarily range that is the dealbreaker (though Blizzard logically went that way), but 'DPS.' A hunter hunts. They kill things. The pets are in there partly because of historical fact (animal husbandry being a large part of hunting in the past), and partly to emphasize on the hunter's role of killing things (and not actually fighting them; using the pet to tackle prey, and engage in the melee).

Hunters, in short, are not defenders. Nothing about 'hunting' has anything to do with defending. It's about tracking down prey and killing it. Now; that can be done in melee, and Survival had a lot of melee tools (mainly to get out of melee again; to survive against melee pressure), but that still does not imply 'defending.'

Only shaman.. While playing a warlock with 900k health I feel quite tanky, after the armor nerf I just can eat the damage. Shamans would make sense, using rocks to help tank.. Warlocks not so much.

Hunters should not tank. They are ranged attackers the only thing they should get is a more melee based spec maybe with throwing weapons or something. Rogues could have had a tank spec but Brewmaster has taken that spot of the avoidance tank. Priests and mages? Are you high? Mages should always be pure damage and priests should simply get a proper holy damage spec and shift disc to even more focus on shields.