Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Comedy Act Banned because of Hate Speech

PARIS (Reuters) - A French court upheld a ban on a show scheduled in the central city of Tours for Friday by a comedian accused of insulting the memory of Holocaust victims, the second performance in a nationwide tour to be banned.

France's highest administrative court rejected an appeal by lawyers for comedian Dieudonne M'Bala M'Bala, which came after the opening show in the western city of Nantes was prohibited by a last-minute court ruling on Thursday.

Lawyer Sanjay Mirabeau criticised the decision and said the comedian may try to seek a compromise to get around the ban, notably by changing its name or pledging to remove offensive sketch material.

"We're reaching the point of absurdity when we need to appeal to the Council of State, France's most prestigious judicial institution, to rule on what is funny or not," said Mirabeau following his hearing.

In addition to Nantes, Tours and seven other cities which have banned the show on a planned 28-city tour, authorities are seeking to stop Dieudonne performing the show at a Paris theatre, La Main d'Or, a sort of headquarters for him.

A court in the city of Orleans near Paris, where Dieudonne is due to perform on Saturday, will rule early in the day on whether to uphold a ban proposed by local authorities.

Dieudonne, 46, has been repeatedly fined for "hate speech" and local authorities in several towns across France have barred his shows on the grounds of risk to public order.

His lawyer, Jacques Verdier, has argued that a ban on his client performing would breach his freedom of speech.

The appeals court's decision is a victory for Interior Minister Manuel Valls and President Francois Hollande, who had called for local authorities to take a hard line in determining whether or not to ban the shows.

Originally active with anti-racist left-wing groups, Dieudonne began openly criticising Jews and Israel in 2002 and ran in the European elections two years later with a pro-Palestinian party.

Critics say the comic's trademark straight-arm gesture is a Nazi salute in reverse. Dieudonne counters that it is anti-Zionist and anti-establishment, but not anti-Semitic.
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A090HG20140110

This has to be funnier than the act itself. Fucking really? Is this some kind of elaborate ruse?
    In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A090HG20140110

This has to be funnier than the act itself. Fucking really? Is this some kind of elaborate ruse?
    Freedom of Speech in most of Europe is limited to "Freedom to speak what the government deems acceptable."

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps this will enlighten those in the US that feel Freedom of Speech has been violated. I'm shocked this even happened in the UK/France or whatever.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

10+ Year Old Account
    They've obviously never witnessed a rap battle.
    Hey everyone

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Freedom of Speech in most of Europe is limited to "Freedom to speak what the government deems acceptable."
    The US is totally a bastion of freedom too right? Right guys? Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dandi View Post
    The US is totally a bastion of freedom too right? Right guys? Right?
    In terms of Free Speech, uh...yeah? Watch an episode of Dave Chappelle.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    In terms of Free Speech, uh...yeah? Watch an episode of Dave Chappelle.
    Or any of our popular stand up comedians like Louis CK. His routines are far "worse" than the apparent bits the guy in the story do

The worst that happens here is an organization or two getting up in arms over a joke

The math doesn't add up, but whatever it's all history.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe it is hate speech. It would help me form an opinion if I could actually read or see the sketch.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chances are it actually is Hate Speech, without the ability to read the script or actually watch the sketch its impossible to form a valid opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    Chances are it actually is Hate Speech, without the ability to read the script or actually watch the sketch its impossible to form a valid opinion.
    Even if it is hate speech it shouldn't be banned

you should be there to see how this story is becoming out of controle, it's so funy

<3 dieudonné

i have see all of his show, nothing is racist, he just joke a lot about religion ( ALL OF THEM ), but never in a racist way

Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    what is this hate speech anyways? why is it gaining such validity in people's opinions? saying you hate someone isn't a crime...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Most of the world depending on how a comedian likes to use his freedom of speeche.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dinouille View Post
    you should be there to see how this story is becoming out of controle, it's so funy

<3 dieudonné

i have see all of his show, nothing is racist, he just joke a lot about religion ( ALL OF THEM ), but never in a racist way

I'm willing to be his show is relatively tame as far as dark comedy goes

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    what is this hate speech anyways? why is it gaining such validity in people's opinions? saying you hate someone isn't a crime...
    Against single individuals no it is not a crime.

Hate speech with weight on the "speech" part of the expression aimed against certain groups of people like religious folks, Jews, Muslims etc actually is in my country. In other words, you have free speech as long as what you are saying is not offensive towards groups of different origins in your society. This will obviously vary depending on where you are of course.
    Last edited by zealo; 2014-01-10 at 09:41 PM.

If your rights and freedoms don't extend to "offensive" speech, what the hell is the point in declaring it a right in the first place?

10+ Year Old Account
    Czech Republic, Euro-Atlantic civilisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Free speech is fine in most of Europe, racism isnt tolerated due to the public not wanting it tolerated.

(and im not talking about comedians, they get away with it, this is a cherry picked story, otherwise we wouldnt have any comedians in britain)
    You must have apparently missed the "free" part. But then, the position of free speech in GB is even a bigger joke than in France, so...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    If your rights and freedoms don't extend to "offensive" speech, what the hell is the point in declaring it a right in the first place?
    Trust me, I am from Europe but I dont get it either. I suppose right to free speech sounds good. Thankfully, it is not so bad here as it is in western Europe.
    Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    Don't see what's wrong with fighting alongside Nazi Germany
    Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    someone who disagrees with me is simply wrong.

Whatever happened to the days when a comedian told a bad or offensive joke and was simply boo'd or heckled mercilessly?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." We've seriously abandoned this sentiment now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I heared about this in the news.

Pathetic really - no other words.
    Yes, I might've not seen the show (because my French is absolute merde) however, banning a comedian for making fun of the holocaust/jews? Sad that people complain about it, that's been 60 years ago.
    Pretty sure that if he's a proper/real/decent comedian (and he mostlikely is), he makes fun of all things - whetever it's religion, politics or recent things.

Banning a comedian for "hate speech".... If the US ever did that, Richard Pryor wouldn't ever been on TV :-D

Glad it's not happening in my country - If it were, I'd consider migrating and I'm not even kidding.
    Last edited by Muis; 2014-01-10 at 10:49 PM.