Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkthepunk View Post
    You've never decided a law by public vote in your country? Well here in Denmark we have. Guess it is wrong that the majority decided what's right?
    Yeah. A couple states in the US decided to vote to legalize marijuana. Others have voted to legalize medicinal marijuana. However, most states don't ask the people to vote on fundamental rights. For example, giving women or minorities the right to vote. Those types of things should never be decided by a popular vote. You can't always expect for the majority to vote for "what's right".

Deleted
    Good this "Comedian" is a black racist who hates jews and would be a nazi if he wasnt black.
    Europe should remember what it did against its own Jewish people

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandi View Post
    Laws and rights are a very different thing.

Rights are the foundation of a countries ideals, laws are built around those.
    Laws decide your rights. If a country decide to ban hate speech because of some reason, then it affects your right to freedom of speech. Is it wrong if there was a public vote for banning hate speech? Because according to what you said then it should be decided by a minority?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurnor View Post
    Good this "Comedian" is a black racist who hates jews and would be a nazi if he wasnt black.
    He's half black, half white. He's a mixed racist if anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Laws decide your rights. If a country decide to ban hate speech because of some reason, then it affects your right to freedom of speech. Is it wrong if there was a public vote for banning hate speech? Because according to what you said then it should be decided by a minority?
    No, its the opposite really. That's why laws get struck down when they are found unconstitutional; they violated a right. You cannot legislate rights out of existence unless you outright revoke the right. The majority is not always right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    No, its the opposite really. That's why laws get struck down when they are found unconstitutional; they violated a right. You cannot legislate rights out of existence unless you outright revoke the right.
    I don't know about the US, but in Denmark laws can be changed if the majority of public votes is high enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know about the US, but in Denmark laws can be changed if the majority of public votes is high enough.
    The U.S is very different then. Unless a right is outright revoked by Congress (and that has only happened ONCE), laws cannot break that right even if a majority votes for it, especially as we have a history of the majority being wrong.

In the US that can't happen. However if a state wished to they could remove the rights for all people in their own state.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    Freedom of Speech in most of Europe is limited to "Freedom to speak what the government deems acceptable."
    Really now? And it's not like that in the US then? It's not way worse in anywhere else that isn't Europe?
    What high horse are you sitting on, where are you from? And where's your tinfoil hat?

Quote Originally Posted by GreatOak View Post
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/0...A090HG20140110

This has to be funnier than the act itself. Fucking really? Is this some kind of elaborate ruse?
    I don't care if his act is terrible and unfunny, he should be allowed to do it if he wants to. Freedom of fucking speech, France.

Deleted
    The U.S is very different then. Unless a right is outright revoked by Congress (and that has only happened ONCE), laws cannot break that right even if a majority votes for it, especially as we have a history of the majority being wrong.
    I worded it wrong. The constitution can be changed if the 'yes voters' exceed a certain % of total voters, and total voters make up a certain % of people able to vote. So yes any laws can be implemented if a high enough percentage of the public agrees with it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    He's half black, half white. He's a mixed racist if anything.
    I dont really care what i wanted to show that he is a anti-semitic racist who hates jews but cant be accepted as a nazi because he is (partially) black

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    We should remember it, by acting like Nazis? Great logic there man.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    Most of his jokes are clearly anti-semitic and against jews and he knows that such a person has no right to be in that industry

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    We now have "European-guilt". It is a similar concept to "White-guilt" (hate that term) but for Europeans.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dandi View Post
    We now have "European-guilt". It is a similar concept to "White-guilt" (hate that term) but for Europeans.
    you better should have

America's even worse than Europe when it comes to "freedom" though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldNSilence View Post
    America's even worse than Europe when it comes to "freedom" though.
    We're more free to be jerks, we're less free in our privacy

Deleted
    you better should have
    Nah, I don't need to feel guilty over something that Europe and America did indeed attempt and successfully stop. "Europeans" didn't do anything to them, the Nazi's did, also Jewish family.

You move Mr Global Sensitivity.

We're more free to be jerks, we're less free in our privacy
    We're not less free in privacy, if you're referring to NSA, they are collecting data from all countries, so being in France (for example) doesn't make you immune. But I believe in England they have cameras that track you more then similar devices in USA .... maybe I just didn't read about similar stuff yet, I know ezpass tracks you (even in cities sometimes), and there are cameras, but I think it's less ... from what I read.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mionelol View Post
    freedom of speech doesn't mean you can insult other people freely (which is what he does under the cover of a "comedy show", while in reality it isn't one - it was one in the past but certainly isn't any longer)
    Quoted as true