Just Returned - Affliction or Destro? 553 Item Level, Destro Sims Higher

Hey all, so I just recently returned to the game and have not done any real raiding this tier at all but in the past did extensive heroic raiding.

I have read numerous posts here stating that Affliction will generally come out ahead on fights this tier aside from the longer ones.

I am currently at a 553 item level and when I run Sim as Affliction I can get up to 214,000 DPS on single target fights.

When I sim myself as Destro it leads to a surprising jump and I sim at 262,000 DPS.

I was under the assumption that although Destro sims out higher, Affliction will pull ahead in actuality.

Looking for a little insight because I will be returning to heroic raiding again immediately and want to perform at peak level.

Deleted
    You can just change per fight, the specs need about similar stat balance anyway. Destro seems to be better most of the time because of all the little adds you can shadowburn down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaizze View Post
    Hey all, so I just recently returned to the game and have not done any real raiding this tier at all but in the past did extensive heroic raiding.

I have read numerous posts here stating that Affliction will generally come out ahead on fights this tier aside from the longer ones.

I am currently at a 553 item level and when I run Sim as Affliction I can get up to 214,000 DPS on single target fights.

When I sim myself as Destro it leads to a surprising jump and I sim at 262,000 DPS.

I was under the assumption that although Destro sims out higher, Affliction will pull ahead in actuality.

Looking for a little insight because I will be returning to heroic raiding again immediately and want to perform at peak level.
    If I remember correctly, simcraft doesn't snapshot optimal all of the time meaning Affliction's sim isnt always correct. IMO Affliction is best for almost anything, besides AoE or add-based fights.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoisms View Post
    If I remember correctly, simcraft doesn't snapshot optimal all of the time meaning Affliction's sim isnt always correct. IMO Affliction is best for almost anything, besides AoE or add-based fights.
    that isnt really true, the shorter the fight, the better it is for single target and its insane for multi-dot fights if you can roll your supercharged dots around repeatedly, its pretty bad for everything else tho. overall destro is slightly better in 25m and destro reigns supreme in 10m, if you are to believe what raidbots says.
    Last edited by mmoca748dddcc2; 2014-01-12 at 06:56 PM.

You can play what you want on any fight and still do very good numbers as either spec. I like to play for what we need, your raid needs boss damage or is a multi dot fight? Play affliction. Your raid needs help killing crawler mines, foul slimes. or other short lived adds? Play destro. They have the same stat priorities (aff needs a haste cap or two) so you can dual spec them no problem. You shouldn't go off sites like raidbots to pick what spec to be, unless one spec has a HUGE advantage. When you get to a new fight just see what your raid needs help with most and fit that role.

Deleted
    generally speaking tho, afflic only really starts to become good at around 565 ilvl when you can start to reach the 13737 haste breakpoint while still having around 15k+ mastery unbuffered.