View Poll Results: Would you pay 99 cents for a 240 main stat epic gem or a 450 secondary stat epic gem?

Voters
721. This poll is closed
  • Yes

56 7.77%
  • No

665 92.23%
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    For all the people who say "Insta-90" is pay-to-win, come to this page to see an example of what pay-to-win is.

If you can buy epic gems for 99 cents, thats like "pay for necessary things"

10+ Year Old Account
    Paying for level 90 is not pay to win, buying gems that make you more powerful than others at MAX level Is.
    So no, this will never happen or I'll likely cancel my sub.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Havent played WoW in like 6-7 months but... If I'm not mistaken cant you buy certain items and sell them on the Auction house? And if so, how is it any different than buying that, then buying gems on the auction house? All it is; is cutting out the middle man. I'm not saying I AGREE with it, but those threatening to quit over it, might want to start looking elsewhere for a game to play. x.X

Quote Originally Posted by HardlyWaken View Post
    Havent played WoW in like 6-7 months but... If I'm not mistaken cant you buy certain items and sell them on the Auction house? And if so, how is it any different than buying that, then buying gems on the auction house? All it is; is cutting out the middle man. I'm not saying I AGREE with it, but those threatening to quit over it, might want to start looking elsewhere for a game to play. x.X
    The OP never even mentioned making it available through any means except the store. However, someone else jumped in with this ridiculous idea of being able to craft the gem with mats that ranged in the neighborhood of 300,000 g - 1,000,000 g. Both of those options effectively constitute a pay-to-win scheme, which is something that Blizzard has steered clear of.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

10+ Year Old Account
    Would I buy it? Probably, because it's a quick shortcut around AH prices I often find disagreeable on my server.
    Should Blizzard do it? No sir/ma'am. That's a legitimate example of paying for power (the level boost is a grey-enough area not to bother me, since all it is is a shortcut around something people will do anyway when WoD ships).
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

They'll never sell anything that increases comat effiecency, they're not that dumb.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

Deleted
    Only if they tune raids 100% around those gems. Would be a catwalk otherwise.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    The OP never even mentioned making it available through any means except the store. However, someone else jumped in with this ridiculous idea of being able to craft the gem with mats that ranged in the neighborhood of 300,000 g - 1,000,000 g. Both of those options effectively constitute a pay-to-win scheme, which is something that Blizzard has steered clear of.
    Which is why Bkizzard is selling 90s ...

The gold for 50 Primal Diamonds can be acquired by grinding ... It's just that it takes a while.

You claim whether they are available via in-game means or not, has no bearing on whether it's P2W in that they both are.

I don't see how differs from selling of 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    You claim whether they are available via in-game means or not, has no bearing on whether it's P2W in that they both are.
    Levelling to 90 is not pay to win because a level 90 is still underpowered. In fact, a level 90 in level 89 gear is weaker than a level 89 because of the screwy way the stats are calculated. No one is going to pay for a level 90 and gain an advantage over someone who has been playing at level 90 for at least a day or two. On the other hand, selling players an epic gem that isn't typically available to anyone else does give the paying player a significant advantage over others. I think you're confused about what pay to win means. Spending time in the game does not amount to a win. Paying for a level 90 only buys you time to gear and raid with your character. Paying for a gem buys you a significant advantage over the players in the game who have not bought the gem. That's why selling a gem is pay to win while selling a 90 isn't.
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCotton Marshmallows View Post
    People need to get over the gear color (and themselves). It doesn't matter, and it shouldn't matter what other players have either. Worry about your damn self. Live your life by that. If you want to concern yourself with someone else, then worry about HELPING them, not putting them down or making sure you stand out as better than them.
    Maybe the game would be better with more low DPS nice guys and fewer high DPS jerks? -- Ghostcrawler, Twitter, 6/29/13

Deleted
    I voted No. But when you think about it blizzard already has "pay to win" in the game through racial abilities and paying to change for a better racial. People pay to switch to races like humans, orcs and trolls all the time because their racials are in need of a nerfbat, but there doesn't seem to be that big of an outcry about it and you can bet alot of the people that voted no have paid to change to these races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Which is why Bkizzard is selling 90s ...

The gold for 50 Primal Diamonds can be acquired by grinding ... It's just that it takes a while.

I don't see how differs from selling of 90s.
    The difference between gems and a lvl 90 boost is that one affects only the player buying it, and the other affects anyone who uses a particular profession while providing a decent increase in personal player power above the basic amount given at the same level.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Wait, what? People find it a-okay to pay for 90 levels, but paying to gem your gear is a no-no? o_O

People also pay $25 for digital mounts and pets, $10-$25 for micro transactions and they think .99¢ per gem is too much? O_o

Wow. Pun unintended.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ytlayol View Post
    Wait, what? People find it a-okay to pay for 90 levels, but paying to gem your gear is a no-no? o_O

People also pay $25 for digital mounts and pets, $10-$25 for micro transactions and they think .99¢ per gem is too much? O_o

Wow. Pun unintended.
    It's not the prices that annoys people. It's paying to gain an advantage over other players that can't or wont spend the money. "Pay to Win".

But like I said in my post further up, we already have that with people paying to play superior races for an advantage.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ytlayol View Post

Wow. Pun unintended.
    Mounts/pets and such are aesthetics, it's like buying a painting or some other household decoration. Level 90 provides a convenience to break the barrier with playing alongside your friends at max level in end game (hopefully with the restriction that you need at least one 90 on your account). Gems provide an increase in personal power above what is currently available in game.

If they were to put the purchase of BLUE gems from MoP, after WoD has come out... that would be another story entirely (although most likely a worthless endeavor).
    Last edited by Sylreick; 2014-01-23 at 06:02 PM.
    "Believing something is not an accomplishment. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because “strength of belief” is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. Listen to any “die-hard” conservative or liberal talk about their deepest beliefs and you are listening to somebody who will never hear what you say on any matter that matters to them — unless you believe the same. Wherever there is a belief, there is a closed door."

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reason Blizz wont do this is that they do not sell things in the store that give an advantage in-game. That would be turning it into a pay 2 win game and Blizzard has stated multiple times they do not want to do that.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    This would be a terrible idea and would destroy the gem crafting market.

Deleted
    Well, obvious bait thread, but buying in game items for real money is never a good thing, compared to in game gold.

We have to few and unappealing gold sinks as it is already.

Quote Originally Posted by Donair View Post
    So you draw the line at paid lvl 90 boosts in the store?

Hypothetical: You and I just started playing WoW today. You purchase a lvl 90 boost. I can't afford it. You just bought a SHIT ton of power over me.

I'll catch up eventually but say I can only lvl an hour a night. You've just sky rocketed months ahead of me in power. All cause you purchased it off the store.
    Still not Pay to Win as there exists an alternative in-game method (leveling normally) that isn't too prohibitive to get the same strength as the purchased option. With that aside I don't really see what the issue is; fresh 90s at this point in the game aren't very likely to be pushing towards 14/14 heroic raiding in a month or have a chance at getting any of the relevant Arena titles this season.

Another thing to consider is how likely people are going to play all these additional 90s before burning themselves out.

Why no one wants to answer my question?
    Because it's a ridiculous hypothetical; you're saying that epic gems have 10x the cost-to-power ratio as the legendary meta-gem, something that requires about a month at this point to obtain.
    Last edited by Trubo; 2014-01-23 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Donair View Post
    You've just sky rocketed months ahead of me in power.
    An hour a night with rested exp will net you at level 90 in 2-3 weeks, not months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primohastat View Post
    That toxicity is normal in WoW. Even classic. And it comes from this what so called elitism, spreading everywhere. Average player say that classic is piss easy and every aspect can be done with minimal effort. But right after that, the same player ignites with rage when someone wants to apply that minimal effort

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronduwil View Post
    Levelling to 90 is not pay to win because a level 90 is still underpowered. In fact, a level 90 in level 89 gear is weaker than a level 89 because of the screwy way the stats are calculated. No one is going to pay for a level 90 and gain an advantage over someone who has been playing at level 90 for at least a day or two. On the other hand, selling players an epic gem that isn't typically available to anyone else does give the paying player a significant advantage over others. I think you're confused about what pay to win means. Spending time in the game does not amount to a win. Paying for a level 90 only buys you time to gear and raid with your character. Paying for a gem buys you a significant advantage over the players in the game who have not bought the gem. That's why selling a gem is pay to win while selling a 90 isn't.
    I'm talking about the case where it is available for anyone else. Just 50 Primal Diamonds.

Both level 90 and epic gems are gotten the same way, by grinding, they both have value - level 90 means you get to level 100 quicker to do raids/PVP (seriously your "90 is weaker than 89" argument is grasping at straws; there is a value to getting a higher level not matter how you twist it, else everyone will just lock themselves at level 89).

Epic gems for 99c from the cash shop or for 50 Primal Diamonds from the in-game vendor. Is that pay to win?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sylreick View Post
    The difference between gems and a lvl 90 boost is that one affects only the player buying it, and the other affects anyone who uses a particular profession while providing a decent increase in personal player power above the basic amount given at the same level.
    Not really. Wrathion sells meta gems that more or less renders JC made ones worthless. JCs haven't gone broke.

JCs can be make Primal Diamonds (for sale) too. So they make money regardless.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    Because it's a ridiculous hypothetical; you're saying that epic gems have 10x the cost-to-power ratio as the legendary meta-gem, something that requires about a month at this point to obtain.

What are you talking about?