10+ Year Old Account

Complexity: Feral vs. Boomkin

I have been playing Feral when I haven't been healing in raids all expac. Yesterday, I experimented with Boomkin. I regemmed and reforged all my Resto gear (563) and bought the legendary meta and put it in an old offpiece (darkfang mask) and turned in tier token for boomkin (got shoulders and gloves). Also, I upgraded the two boomkin trinkets that I have (one is immerseus, dont remember the other). After it was all done and optimized 100% I did two 6 minutes rotations on the target dummy using only self-buffs and no pots or flask. The first was single target only: my burst was a little more than 400k and my sustained at the end of the 6 minutes was 185k. The second was with some multi-dotting, I maintained dots on 3 targets and executed a single target rotation on 1 target. My burst was 600k and sustained ended at 230k.

I did likewise with my feral set which is 558 ilvl). I did two 6 minute rotations, one with HotW and the other with DoC. HotW burst was around 425k and sustained at 250k; DoC burst was a little more than 500k with sustained at 280k.

The boomkin set was 563 (5 ilvls higher than my feral set) and underperformed to my feral set despite them being pretty close to eachother as far as some dps rankings conclude (within 10k or so in Heroic BiS).

It seemed to me while I was playing that boomkin was much more difficult to maintain at the level I wanted. What are some of your observations: which of these specs has a higher skillcap and has more complexity in performing at the highest level?

Feral is easily the hardest to learn and the hardest to master. There really is no comparison between the difficulity of the two specs. Your issue is obviously just a lack of experience, seeing as you are experienced at Feral but not at Boomkin.

Imo Feral has a higher skillcap to play perfectly, but it's single target damage is still very good even if you mess it up. Boomkin is just straight up lower ST damage, because they're 'balanced' around their multidotting ability.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was expecting to do significantly more DPS as Boomkin (especially in a multi-dot scenario) but perhaps I do need more practice.

Deleted
    I think people really underestimate the finer micro management that moonkins require if you want to play it really well. I agree that feral is a bit harder, but I do think people underestimate the skill required to play moonkin very well.

OP just needs a bit more practice, especially the decision making. Can only be learned by making mistakes, seeing similar situations more often etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Despite View Post
    I think people really underestimate the finer micro management that moonkins require if you want to play it really well. I agree that feral is a bit harder, but I do think people underestimate the skill required to play moonkin very well.

OP just needs a bit more practice, especially the decision making. Can only be learned by making mistakes, seeing similar situations more often etc.
    dot dot starsurge?

Quote Originally Posted by Glurp View Post
    dot dot starsurge?
    mangle rake rip?
    Quote Originally Posted by Socialhealer View Post
    judging 25man raiding by LFR standards saying it requires no coordination, is like saying 5mans require cheese sandwiches because i like turtles.