Help our Holy Priest on H Malkorok

Hello all, I was wondering if the experienced Heroic Priests here could lend a hand to ours - he's been playing a Priest for a long time, and we've actually killed Malky on heroic twice, but we've been using our Resto Druid who wasn't available this evening, so we bought our healing Priest instead. He seemed to really struggle with keeping people topped off which led to the Mage on his side dying a few times, and he actually ended up healing himself more than the Monk tank who was soloing Blood Rages. This could be in part due to a lack of familiarity with the fight, but he's also probably the weakest of our 4 healers. I don't know enough about Priests to say whether it's a lack of Priestly knowledge or lack of awareness and adaptability.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...i1n/dashboard/

looking at the logs this priest for the longest attempt.

Divine Hymn barely used, should be used at the start and after 2nd blood rage at least to help get shields up fast,

On 10 man unless you can guarantee 5 ppl are hit Prayer of Healing is not that great, serenity chakra with renew blanketing is much better, pop halo in the middle on cd and greater heal(pref with t162set bonus on low shields), and you have lots of instant flash heals and binding heal if needed for everything else along with using Prayer of Mending on cd.

Holy priests are in general on meters the weakest healer, but on this fight due to minimal overhealing on this fight preists should be very good if player right, it looks like he is doing ok compared to the shammy which tbh should be pulling far more hps than that also but both need to know the fight inside and out and play very well.

Thanks for that, I'll feed it back. The Shammy has actually healed the fight for our first 2 kills, but as I said she was paired with our Resto Druid who is one of the best healers I've met since I started playing in Vanilla. She was also suffering from flu so her performance was fairly sub-optimal.

Deleted
    Nah renew healing isn't optimal here because halo is just OP in this fight. The problem i see is that prayer of healing isn't getting enough hits off. Get a melee in each group and tell the holy priest to target him when casting prayer of healing (so everybody gets a piece).

Ow and tell him/her to use glyph of binding heal. In high damage phases holy priests can do some insane healing with 2x binding heal > PoH

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    along with using Prayer of Mending on cd.
    Prayer of mending does not bounce when people have shields. So no, one should not use it at all.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/rankings/...H/Holy_Priest/

You can check out these logs for examples of a good healing breakdown. PoH spam vs Renew spam seem to be about equal.

For PoH, set up the groups like so:

Ranged within 40 yards marked with A, Ranged outside 40 yards marked with B

Group1:
    Ranged A
    Ranged A
    Healer A
    Melee
    Tank

Group 2:
    Ranged B
    Ranged B
    Healer B
    Melee
    Tank

That's how I did it. Have the melee in each respective group stand on opposite end so they're within the 30 yards of all the ranged in a group for PoH.

Unfortunately for Holy, the only healer they're likely to beat on this fight is a Disc priest. Expect them at the bottom of the meters if competing with anything else, unless there's a huge skill difference or gear difference. It's also possible to swap to Disc. The shields help as a buffer for progression if people get hit by orbs or shields fall off. I personally went Disc for this fight and actually matched my Holy healing at 180-220k hps, but I guess that just shows I'm a shitty holy priest.
    Last edited by Larynx; 2014-01-27 at 04:14 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    That's how I did it. Have the melee in each respective group stand on opposite end so they're within the 30 yards of all the ranged in a group for PoH.

Unfortunately for Holy, the only healer they're likely to beat on this fight is a Disc priest. Expect them at the bottom of the meters if competing with anything else, unless there's a huge skill difference or gear difference. It's also possible to swap to Disc. The shields help as a buffer for progression if people get hit by orbs or shields fall off. I personally went Disc for this fight and actually matched my Holy healing at 180-220k hps, but I guess that just shows I'm a shitty holy priest.
    My groups are set up exactly like yours are, it's great. Make sure this happens.
    I'd also like to say that I think this fight is better as Disc than Holy even if Holy can reach higher numbers. Placing a third "health bar" on top of the two you already have (in the form of absorbs) is much more valuable than a bit of extra throughput.

Quote Originally Posted by Henriksson View Post
    Prayer of mending does not bounce when people have shields. So no, one should not use it at all.
    considering it still equates to 7-10% of your healing on malkarok it would be bad not to use it, so don't spread bad information.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaigr View Post
    Nah renew healing isn't optimal here because halo is just OP in this fight. The problem i see is that prayer of healing isn't getting enough hits off. Get a melee in each group and tell the holy priest to target him when casting prayer of healing (so everybody gets a piece).

Ow and tell him/her to use glyph of binding heal. In high damage phases holy priests can do some insane healing with 2x binding heal > PoH
    renewing is great(even more so if your able to reach the 13k haste breakpoint) for one thing if you can't guarantee a whole group being hit by PoH then renew blanketing helps maintain shields and also gives you FDCL procs, both ways of healing are pretty much equal but serenity gives you that extra edge on large single target heals when you can't guarantee a whole group being hit by PoH every single cast.
    Last edited by kenn9530; 2014-01-27 at 05:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thaigr View Post
    Get a melee in each group and tell the holy priest to target him when casting prayer of healing (so everybody gets a piece).
    ^ What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Henriksson View Post
    Actually if you ran DI, which works pretty well considering you want to go for PoH here, the mending will actually bounce. Normal mending wont until the other phase. But what would I know, only played disc here on heroic because of P2. Also the extra dps provided was a factor on the first kills.