Page 1 of 15
... LastLast
    Deleted

What do you miss about old wow?

This is some stuff that I miss which made the game more immersive:

- Weapons with interesting procs, stuff that cast actually be powerful or situation such as ravanger axe.
    - Equipment that actually did stuff, such as rings that delt damage when struck, bracers that increased chance to apply poison.
    - Weapons that were poorly itemised, had varying attack speeds, and debatable loot distrubtion eg a melee sword with intellect and agility and strengh that would not have been stupid to see a rogue with.

- Spells like "blessing of might" that increased your attack power by a set number. In generally miss that number style over the new percentage system.
    - Spells similar to the old hemmorhage debuff, that increased damage taken by a set number.

Generally I feel the game is more like a spreadsheet now. Every item is sort of perfect yet somehow boring, all people look at is item numbers. Gear looks don't even mean anything any more now that people have transmogrification.

Spreadsheets are essential and there is only *one* way to gear your character or else you're wrong. You have no choice when it comes to picking stats, or weapons, or play styles. Everything is force fed to you and there's no room left to explore or customise or work out how you'd like to play.

There's no more "situationally op" stuff like a retri paladin with reckoning or a cold step rogue, it's all just fixed into one to three ways to play your character - compared to releases there were probably half a dozen with different used.

10+ Year Old Account
    The current iteration of WoW is in every way superior to Classic WoW. That being said, the community of WoW circa 2005/2006 was something special that just isn't around these days. Sub numbers, being fresh, no LFR or LFD, I won't postulate on why isn't not there anymore, but suffice to say, it's not.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Deleted
    Alterac Vally.

Very little, Mr. Mushnik.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing. Wow is better then it has ever been. This is coming from someone who quit out of boredom.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Better community .
    Fucking please. The community was never any better then it is now. The same amount of arseholes existed back then as do now, the same amount of nice people existed back then as do now.
    Aye mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Epics being epic. Yeah, a color meant that much to me.

pretty much just how fresh it all felt the first day logging in and not knowing what to do, oh wlel that was 9 years ago get the same feeling at the start of expacs in some respect!

How far you had to travel and how long everything took. Game had more meaning.
    Best Shadow Priest: Dangitsmcg, Mcg.
    P.S.
    Try not to use " I " as much as possible unless you need it. I know it makes writing easier.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I miss more customization of my character - talents, gear, spells. While some of those things were tedious/poorly designed, they made the game more interesting for me. Along the same lines I miss how classes used to feel/play different even on the very basic levels - I played a warrior and paladin tank in BC as alts, and each had different challenges about their play in even basic dungeons.. Of course, this also ties in with my final thing I miss... the challenge... not in the sense of there being heroic raids (those are still challenging) but in the basic sense of the general game.

The people I played with.

Classic Alterac Valley. Back before it was just a PvE race.

That's about it... everything else has been better.
    ( ; , , ; )

Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Fucking please. The community was never any better then it is now. The same amount of arseholes existed back then as do now, the same amount of nice people existed back then as do now.
    Whether or not this is true isn't something thats provable, but my opinion is that I encounted far less toxic players in vanilla.

Deleted
    actually, nothing =/

Quote Originally Posted by Palinn View Post
    I miss more customization of my character - talents, gear, spells. While some of those things were tedious/poorly designed, they made the game more interesting for me. Along the same lines I miss how classes used to feel/play different even on the very basic levels - I played a warrior and paladin tank in BC as alts, and each had different challenges about their play in even basic dungeons.. Of course, this also ties in with my final thing I miss... the challenge... not in the sense of there being heroic raids (those are still challenging) but in the basic sense of the general game.
    ^this could not sum up better how I feel about wow.
    You cant heal stupid, but you sure can shield it.

Reputation system as in following post template I have:

Reputation - Back to roots.

After doing more dailies than one life-time requires, I started to ponder on the system and it's shortcomings. Especially in light of GC recently tweeting something about possibly putting a cap on reputation gains (A baffling choice if I might add)

I came into a conclusion that dailies are just not the way to go as main bread and butter when it comes to reputation. They should work as something extra that is there if you want to work on, or maybe a part of process that gets fulfilled when you're otherwise working on reputation.

When I look at reputation "grinds" (Which set amount of dailies certainly is not, it's just a chore to be done with) the best example of it all comes from all the way back of vanilla and Argent Dawn. Simply because of it's diversity if nothing else. There were TONS of ways you could gain rep with AD, especially at the end of vanilla. Let me list some of them:

Farming outdoor mobs up til friendly/honored (Depending on mob type)
    Farming instance mobs up til honored (Bosses gave rep all the way to exalted)
    Scourge Insignias, three types of them based on the strength of the undead mob and the drop rate was quite high. Required a trinket for drops but the AD blue trinket with AP/SP against undeads was extremely powerful for it's time.
    Cauldron runs (Repeteable quests where you go gather mats from undeads to disable cauldrons)
    8 different resource turn-ins that were very farmable due to high drop rates but also came as an extra pretty much regardless of what you did. (These also gave you marks to buy some of the best pre-raid stuff from AD faction, along with biggest bag of the game at the time)

There was plenty of ways to increase rep with AD, none of which required daily commitment to reach certain level within the faction. On the contrary, it was all on the player's hand how fast or slow the progression happened instead of artificial barriers to slow down the process.

What also made a large difference was that you could farm AD rep on two separate zones and in two rather large instances (Strath being almoust half the size of Stormwind) and there was always some lone spot where you didn't have to compete with others if you wanted some peace.

None of them gave particulary much rep, the mobs awarded 5 rep per kill 'til the limit, turn ins 50 and insignia turn ins some more. But it was continuous process on which player could dictate how to spend the time and if he didn't, something always piled up regardless.

This of course is mostly applicaple to the other "high end" reputation of vanilla, Cenarion Circle.

It certainly was more difficult to work with than AD with rather major time requirements, but it also presented hefty amount of options of how to work on it.

Farming mobs -> Gave rep, dropped pages for turn-ins, dropped Twilight set

Twilight set -> Summon miniboss that awards rep on kill, that for some classes was soloable, which in turn drops possible reputation turn-in item and item that will let you summon mid-tier boss.
    Kill mid-tier boss that requires a group of 3-5 players and the same occurs but this time it also dropped very good entry level BoE blue gear, get more rep, more rep items for turn-ins and items that let you summon final boss.
    Final boss, all of the above is applicaple, but now there was chance for epics and you needed a small raid group to finish it up.

These were quite casual aswell, in a sense that you could gather summoning mats really fast.

Then there were the Letter quests for Logistics, Military and such. It utilized crafting professions, farming hives and gave badges for which you could buy gear that would be usable all the way to AQ, a worthy time-investment.

All we have nowdays is pretty much just dailies, dailies and some more dailies (With rare exceptions, depending on a faction, and even then the rarity of the rep item makes it hardly feasible.) and I don't think the system that was so diverse before required such dumbing down as it came to be and I'd love to see some inspiration taken on how especially AD rep worked out in the end with added CC flavour of miniboss summoning.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    darker nights
    epic quests
    community
    no flying
    an actual world
    the game was difficult and exclusive
    epic gear was epic
    40 man raids
    no lfr, lfd is good, but they should have handled it differently
    the role playing aspect
    I could probably mention a lot more, but I think I'll let you guys say the rest

Classes that had uniqueness to them.
    Exactly this. Class homogenization is the main problem for me.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Only the old talent system really

The old quests. I like the new ones but miss them nonetheless. Otherwise, its all better now.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

10+ Year Old Account
    Better community
    Darker nights
    No LFR
    No LFD
    Classes that had uniqueness to them.
    Quote Originally Posted by SphessMahreen View Post
    Alterac Vally.
    These things. Also, when stats and numbers meant shit. As long as you lived, everyone was happy.

EDIT: and as stated above, the old talent system was more badass feeling.

10+ Year Old Account
    People that bowed before for me for having Sulfuras

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SphessMahreen View Post
    Alterac Vally.
    Those endless AV matches how I miss those.