Poll: How well do you cook/bake?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Do you cook/bake? How good are you?

Fairly straight forward.

1. No Clue what I'm doing in the kitchen.
    2. I know some of the basics, microwaving soup, baking a premade pizza.
    3. I'm pretty good, I can make quite a bit from scratch.
    4. Really good, I know how to work with flavors and textures and have a great palate.
    5. Amazing, pretty much a master chef.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

3 -> 4
    somewhere around 3.5 atleast

Deleted
    I'm passionate about cooking, comes from having to learn to cook my own food at a very, very young age and then proceeding to always cook for my commune/friends when I was younger, and then breaking the ice with women by entertaining them in and out of the kitchen.
    If you like doing soups and if you do own a great palette, start cooking them from scratch, all the way from doing your own stock. You will never, ever microwave a soup again.

edit; oh duhh it was a ranking and I read it all wrong, well I'd slap myself anywhere between the 4 and 5.

Deleted
    Pretty good if I may say so myself and the ones I've cooked or baked for thinks the same. So, 4th I guess.

Deleted
    Chef by trade, so guess I'm a 6.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    I'm passionate about cooking, comes from having to learn to cook my own food at a very, very young age and then proceeding to always cook for my commune/friends when I was younger, and then breaking the ice with women by entertaining them in and out of the kitchen.
    If you like doing soups and if you do own a great palette, start cooking them from scratch, all the way from doing your own stock. You will never, ever microwave a soup again.

edit; oh duhh it was a ranking, well I'd slap myself anywhere between the 4 and 5.
    It can be whatever you want it to be.

I make a lot of unique and innovative dishes, and love to cook, but I've got a guilty pleasure for some of the campbell's chunky soups. Mostly when I'm crunched for time. I've been making a lot of lamb shank/leg of lamb stews lately, using rosemary and a small amount of mint as the herbs. A red wine based stock is amazing.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Deleted
    I love baking. I can do pretty much everything in that field, and people go crazy for my stuff
    On the other hand, I'm absolut incompetent when it comes to cooking. It's absurd, I know. It's like a curse, whatever I try I tend to mess up.

So I stick with baking and let my boyfriend cook. We're a great team.

Since I can do only one, I rate myself as a 3.

Deleted
    I'd guess somewhere in between the 3rd and 4th so I ticked 3rd. I really enjoy cooking. I cook most meals from scratch, and I can do a lot of baking and stuff. I've done a lot of 3-4 course meals for dinner parties for multiple people, I cook every night for my husband, and once a week I cook a meal that my mum requests (she hates cooking herself.) I was taught by my grandmother who used to just cook out of her own recipe book that she'd written down over the 70 odd years that she'd been cooking before I started helping her. She always just knew what to do to make a meal perfect.

I don't usually follow recipes other than a basic guideline, I add my own or make it up as I go along and it almost always works out really well. Occasionally it totally fails though and I have ruined stuff whilst experimenting before so I don't think I'm quite up to the 4th answer yet.

I can also be forgetful and I've burnt a lot of stuff which amuses my friends (I always set an alarm on my phone now because I get distracted easily). One time I forgot to put water in the pot with pasta and set off the fire alarm... so they call me a terrible cook, and then devour all my food.

10+ Year Old Account
    Between 3 and 4, not an artist in the Kitchen but I do well on my own.

Deleted
    I cook lunch every day for myself. I'm not an expert cook by any means, but having a few years of practice everything I make ends up being pretty decent at least. I voted for option 3, but I guess I'm moving toward 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm decent enough. My biggest problem in the kitchen is sensory, too many of the textures and scents in there stress me out.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2014-01-27 at 10:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Deleted
    "I'm pretty good, I can make quite a bit from scratch" is where I see me.

I'd prolly be better if I had access to more kitchen utensils and ingredients, but since I'm rather poor, I have to make do with my limited budget. Thus, I have specialized in making tasty stuff that goes easy on the wallet. This also means pimping frozen food from the supermarket. Like, did you know that you can take the supercheap "supermarket-brand" frozen pizzas, add stuff to them and make them on par with pizzas you get from most delivery services? While still being damn cheap?

ofc I make stuff from scratch, too, like Yakisoba (even though I can't get my hands on proper yakisoba sauce <.<), or a nice curry (if they have cheap curry paste on offer) or fried rice.

Deleted
    I can't cook for shit.

I can bake tho, what i bake isn't always the best looking thing but god damn it tastes good

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    I can cook, I'm a trained chef. I can't bake though, not one freaking bit...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

I think I'm decent. I have a very small list of things I want to eat but I can cook for someone else easily. My problem is that my kitchen is awfully tiny with crappy accessories so I can't make anything really complex at home.

I'm good with cakes, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am on 4. And thats kinda because i dont like every food i make for family. Cant stand mushums for example.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Went to culinary school and worked as a cook for 4 years and 1 year as sous-chef (second higher rank in the kitchen)
    I'm not a mastery chef because I know what it means to be one. I can prob cook anything you give me and make it edible, including cow teaticles... But that's more for the daring, daily I cook for my family and I bake for special events.
    Food, drinks and cooking is a passion for me.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!

I'm a 2. I can make more complicated things like oven stuff if I google it, but I will often overcook stuff out of fear that is is not cooked through yet. Especially meat. I also forget things a lot so burning things accidentally also happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Slenderman View Post
    Chef by trade, so guess I'm a 6.
    so as a Chef.. you think you are better then a Master Chef? :P

10+ Year Old Account
    i know how to make peanut butter sandwich and i used a toaster
    thats about it
    i never thought of it tbh
    never tried making coffee or salad
    would love to learn healthy foods though