10+ Year Old Account

Should Prot use Victory Rush when it's available?

Hi, I'm sorry if this is a really simple question, I tried searching but most of the threads are discussing progression Heroic Raid tactics that are way over my head. =)

The Icy Veins guide discourages taking Impending Victory because a) it costs Rage which could go into Block/Barrier and b) it costs a GCD which could be used to fish for Sword & Board procs. I am analytically-impaired, so I just trust better/smarter players at face value: "OK, no IV for Prot then".

But Victory Rush doesn't cost any Rage, so I am curious if it should be used when available and would not overheal. To me 20% health restored sounds great, but again, I know better than to my trust my non-analytical judgment in situations like this, especially since knowledgeable players keep saying to avoid IV.

Basically, under heavy damage I see VR light up and my gut reaction is to immediately hit it for healing, because I'm under heavy damage (habit from every other tank, stuff like DStrike, Expel, DoC HTs, BoG EFs, etc.).

I would like to know if this instinct is doing me more harm than good, when it comes to 5.4 Prot Warrior. TY =)

Depends how much you trust your healers during those parts where you are under heavy damage. When I raid on my warrior (which is few and far between, i'm a backup), I don't really need to use it because I never really die to underhealing. The sword and board procs are going to be a better filler, and the damage dealt from vr is not grand or anything either.

I use it for sure, it all depends on your situation.

Idk - the damage is bad, it costs a gcd and most of the time it overheals when I use it.
    SBar on the other hand doesn't cost a gcd and is guaranteed to block some damage.

It's somewhat useful on Immerseus while he's submerged (and you have next to no rage) but that's about it for SoO.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it´s a solid alternative to enraged regeneration. For me, thou, it is slightly worse.

Pros:
    - Obviously deals damage, thou bad damage
    - Can be used more frequent
    - Thou unlikely but IF you happen to kill an add during bossfights it could procc
    - Heal en par with Enraged Regeneration

Cons:
    - Can only be used when Enemies are around
    - Can only be used in close combat
    - Costs an gcd
    - Costs rage

Please note, that I macro´d Berserkerrage to Enraged Regeneration to always make it 40%.

Just never take Second Wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Nillo View Post
    SBar on the other hand doesn't cost a gcd and is guaranteed to block some damage.
    How exactly does Shieldbarrier interact with any of the healing tier talents?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    How exactly does Shieldbarrier interact with any of the healing tier talents?
    Well you can use a gcd to heal yourself - or use it for rage. So more victory rush = less rage = less sbar.

Also I think the op asked about whether or not using Victory Rush was worth it (you're talking about impeding victory which imo is even worse).

10+ Year Old Account
    Also I think the op asked about whether or not using Victory Rush was worth it (you're talking about impeding victory which imo is even worse).
    Yeah, just VR, since you always have that and it lights up sometimes during adds / trash. I use ER as my heal tier talent.

I guess the vibe I'm getting is that VR isn't like Expel Harm, you shouldn't hit it just because it lights up and if you don't "need" to hit it, it's probably better to just let the healers deal and stick to the normal rotation.

But it's still reasonable to have on your bar somewhere, because there will be that 1 in 100 moment where 20% heal right now!! actually pulls you through (kind of like Last Stand).

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    Please note, that I macro´d Berserkerrage to Enraged Regeneration to always make it 40%.
    This is not a huge deal if you're not DPSing / pushing tank damage, but that potentially wastes some Zerkers since you might be Enraged anyway when you want to ER due to normal Enrage procs.
    Last edited by Lovestar; 2014-01-31 at 02:53 PM.

Well it's good if you have
    - low vengeance
    - no healers in range

Both of which applies for Immerseus submerged, but pretty much nothing else.

On a side note - really sad to see it's damage being so awful considering that it was one of the hardest hitting abilities when it was introduced back in bc /:

10+ Year Old Account
    On a side note - really sad to see it's damage being so awful considering that it was one of the hardest hitting abilities when it was introduced back in bc /:
    Ah ha ha, TBC... I remember how it was so amazingly awesome to have a Rage-free move you could use while leveling because it made the next mob so much easier! And it didn't even heal, lol.

Then again, I also remember when you waited 30 (or was it 40?) levels just to be allowed to press something besides Heroic Strike.

15+ Year Old Account
    The one thing I like it for is on tower duty Galak... go up kill some adds it pops up and it's a nice little topper! As well On norushen if its a little crazy with adds at the start and I get a proc I will use it to help out.

The way I see it is I keep it there and if I take a decent hit or some O shit not expected thing happens I will use it but unless I think "crap need to heal" it will most likely just fall off and not be used as snap reaction is ER for those times anyhow.

Depends if you need the heals or the GCD more. Often you're better off continuing your rotation and firing some active mitigation cause they're just plain better, but on occasion the heal is worthwhile.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah yes, BC. "But it can crit!". :P

Only time I really use it is when I'm on add duty on Garrosh p1. Even with active mitigation up sometimes the adds are hitting me for decent amounts, so an extra heal is nice.

[Rothulivic] [Twitch] [Twitter] Signature by Serryn

Quote Originally Posted by Lovestar View Post
    I would like to know if this instinct is doing me more harm than good, when it comes to 5.4 Prot Warrior. TY =)
    It really depends on the situation. Unless you are taking a big hit/spike, it's fine to use it the moment it's lit (assuming you aren't at full health). Personally, I save it, but it's due to habits of Siegecrafter, where I'll keep refreshing my Electrostatic debuff past 5. At 7 and 8, it tears through a full Shield Barrier and nearly any single cd, in which I can just Victory Rush right after (from the Shredder) to be back at enough health to survive any healer movements.

15+ Year Old Account
    I use it when it's available and I'm not at 100% hp. I don't get the chance often though, only on the occasional add fight. Definitely don't hit it unless SS and revenge are off CD though.

replace devastate with victory rush if its procced and you need the health supplement.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Jeez. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Without the last Tier´s 2 set procc I do not even have Victory Rush dragged into my bars. It´s just proccing so rarely if at all and has no real use in bossfights. And who cares aboutt rash in the first place?^^

Sorry again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.