Deleted

question about the TOR phone authenticator

NOTE: THIS IS FOR THE OLD REPUBLIC!!

okay, now that i've made this clear and won't get random WoW authenticator comments: I'm thinking about getting the Android authenticator for my Galaxy S4. However, after my previous phone had the tendency to crash every 2 months, meaning I lost all my installed apps, settings, messages and the like, I only want to do this if I'm sure it won't cause me issues.

specifically: If I have the mobile authenticator app on my phone, and my phone crashes to the extent that I lose all my installed apps and settings, can I just reinstall the app from my installed app list in the Play Store and continue like nothing happened? Or is every authenticator installation with a unique code, even if it's the same device and the same Google account that installs it?

It should. The two keys needed to activate it on your phone (like, a 7 digit key and then a 15 digit key) are both in your account page for SWTOR, so you should be able to simply enter that and re-associate your phone with the account.

I don't have an android so I can comment specifically regarding that but Bioware implemented a few months ago a way to remove the security key on their webpage without having to phone them. So it is now much easier to remove a security key if change phone, it breaks, you lose it etc. When you remove it you will get a one time passcode via email that you have to enter on their webpage to remove the authenticator.

It also wouldn't hurt to use something like Titanium Backup to create an initial backup of the app+data after you register the authenticator to your phone. Any time I've had to revert to default ROM settings (ie, full wipe + re-install), I have always backed up my authenticator settings for both TOR and Blizzard, then restored them on the fresh ROM (titanium backup will even keep your old/existing phone ID and revert to it for the sake of getting Blizzard's authenticator to accept your phone).

I just came back after over a year break and had to remove the authenticator from an broke phone and put it on a new one. I can tell you first hand it was a very simple process. Basically, they send a one time code to your email for the removal.

I honestly had a harder time remembering my password and dealing with their captcha while doing it. Some terrible font.

I would definately get the phone one, it is free, it is stable, it allows you to buy fleet passes if you so desire and it greatly helps keep you from being a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    It should. The two keys needed to activate it on your phone (like, a 7 digit key and then a 15 digit key) are both in your account page for SWTOR, so you should be able to simply enter that and re-associate your phone with the account.
    To access your account info page you'd still need the username, password, and the security key.

you'd have to remove the authenticator from the account to be able to log in to access that information and then apply it back to the account =/