Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Closet-Racist calling a Historian a Bigot?

I just got out of a conversation in which the person i was talking to was offended when I stated that America's culture through the ages was based off its primary demographic, Anglo-saxon (white) protestants(christian). I mentioned this off-handedly as an explanation as to why it seems "weird" that many people are making a "big deal" about their people's culture*. That being that the Main Culture of America taught/forced/convinced many immigrants to assimilate into their culture, even so far as to adopting their religion style of dress and names. The Notion being "of course people didn't publicly embrace their culture back then, it wasn't Socially acceptable to be "un-American"(Read: Primarily the main culture of America).

Much to my surprise he starts calling me a Bigot and making not-so-passive-aggressive comments such as "you got one more chance to call me a racist cus I'm White and Christian". Which is strange to me since the level of Oppression throughout American History is practically the main factor in it. And i dont know if he is reacting this way because he's tired of people calling other-people racist and thus thinks if anyone mentions race that they are trying to call him a racist, or if he is ignorant of the American tradition of oppressing White-Catholics- Spanish-Catholics, Mexican-Catholics, White Jews, black Christians, Black-non-christians, Indians , among others.

P.S. And i think what the first few of yall meant to say is not that you cant read it, but that you had trouble understanding it. If you read the first sentence which was fairly clear you knew the subject was me getting jilted by someone over the topic if Racism. And thus can understand how an Upset person might not have the best communication skills at the moment.
    *This whole thing was in a topic concerning the Coca-cola commercial
    Last edited by tristannarutofan; 2014-02-04 at 11:31 PM.

I don't see a way to constructively evaluate the conversation without screengrabs.

Deleted
    OP, you are being far too vague here.

My phys professor said that scientists and engineers don't get enough training on how to write. I'm convinced now that we're not the only ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    My phys professor said that scientists and engineers don't get enough training on how to write. I'm convinced now that we're not the only ones.
    I don't think very many people get enough training in communication in general. It's amazing how many professionals struggle to express themselves clearly. Most scientists wind up picking up decent writing and speaking skills through sheer repetition over the course of years, but they really should be taught a bit better.

Holy run on sentence, I don't really understand what you are even saying.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I don't think very many people get enough training in communication in general. It's amazing how many professionals struggle to express themselves clearly. Most scientists wind up picking up decent writing and speaking skills through sheer repetition over the course of years, but they really should be taught a bit better.
    I think you still need some help in that area as most would perfectly understand my usage in your little signature. Perhaps a bit of colloquial English education and how words are often not used in their most strict sense, would help.
    Last edited by Themius; 2014-02-04 at 10:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I think you still need some help in that area as most would perfectly understand my usage in your little signature. Perhaps a bit of colloquial English education and how words are often not used in their most strict sense, would help.
    Um, never pretty much means never. If people mean almost never, they generally say almost never.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    Being vague is better than that other thing.

"Obviously by never I meant usually."
    Yeah that makes 0 sense.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH8472 View Post
    I agree. Not enough info given.

Well I'd have to take your white friends side on this based on what I know. You're assuming he's racist, for unknown reasons. I don't think it's weird at all embracing your ethnic cultures. All the other commenters on this thread seem to have a hard time understanding what your saying, me too, and very likely so did this guy... for all we know you didn't intentionally say anything bigoted, but you wrote it in a way that did.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Um, never pretty much means never. If people mean almost never, they generally say almost never.
    Unless they're saying never about something that is rare which is what I did.

I stated that the media portrayal of what beauty is never dark skin because it very rarely is. Spec jumps on me saying that to believe this I ignore dark skin models to which I state other countries standards of beauty. When I said never I was speaking of the standards and their rarity and honestly to ignore the fact that never is often used as an exaggeration of something that isn't usual, or is rarely done isn't this new magical thing.

People are real asinine here and enjoy ignoring usages just so they have a bone to play with, like pathetic dogs.
    Last edited by Themius; 2014-02-04 at 11:27 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

I stated that the media portrayal of what beauty is never dark skin because it very rarely is. Spec jumps on me saying that to believe this I ignore dark skin models to which I state other countries standards of beauty. When I said never I was speaking of the standards and their rarity and honestly to ignore the fact that never is often used as an exaggeration of something that isn't usual, or is rarely done isn't this new magical thing.

People are real asinine here and enjoy ignoring usages just so they have a bone to play with, like pathetic dogs.
    I understand, but "never" in general usage doesn't mean "rarely." It still means never. He wasn't wrong to have you clarify your position, and the quote he has in his signature is, in fact, funny.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

pale white skin is "NEVER" the beauty people aspire to either... a decent mix of both is ALMOST ALWAYS preferred. im a dark filipino myself, been called nigger a couple times so i know the deal and I wish my skin was a little lighter like the rest of the people in my family (to me it just looks better no other reason) but at the end of the day i dont really care... why would I? i think you're ashamed of your skin color and it shows in every post - you need to get over that... somehow. i dont know, never had the problem.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll be honest, when I read the title my first thoughts were 'Putin trying to make out everyone else is racist, bigoted and inhumane to cover up his own lack of morality again?"
    #boycottchina

Moron logic:
    All white people are racist because our ancestors oppressed one race or the other. All non whites are incapable of racism because they were oppressed by white people at one time or another.
    The depressing thing is the media around the world push this concept like it's fact.

In America this has caused many in the younger (born after Civil Rights Acts) generation of blacks to feel both entitled and oppressed without cause. They get raised in this environment of "da wyt man bringin me down, da wyt man iz evil, da wyt man owz me muny i waas opresd" which only perpetuates itself, especially in poor neighborhoods. They feel entitled to welfare. They feel entitled to special treatment when being considered for a job, and then cry racism when they don't get it. They're generally complete fucking morons, because just about any intelligent person can see past this garbage. This is by no means the majority, but as the most vocal minority, you make your entire race look bad. Stereotypes get perpetuated by this lazy, welfare-suckling, racism-crying gangbanger culture most people just call "stupid niggers."

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Endus; 2014-02-05 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danarez View Post
    In America this has caused many in the younger (born after Civil Rights Acts) generation of blacks to feel both entitled and oppressed without cause. They get raised in this environment of "da wyt man bringin me down, da wyt man iz evil, da wyt man owz me muny i waas opresd" which only perpetuates itself, especially in poor neighborhoods. They feel entitled to welfare. They feel entitled to special treatment when being considered for a job, and then cry racism when they don't get it. They're generally complete fucking morons, because just about any intelligent person can see past this garbage. This is by no means the majority, but as the most vocal minority, you make your entire race look bad. Stereotypes get perpetuated by this lazy, welfare-suckling, racism-crying gangbanger culture most people just call "stupid niggers."
    This right here^

entitled, lazy and can tell you 1000 ways to stretch your dollar. I'm surrounded by them and yes most of them are "stupid n words"

They are usually pretty nice though, at least to your face...

What was this thread about again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Is this why doctors write in hieroglyphic scribbles? :P

@the OP: Our founding people WERE Christian, white, and are the conquerors of this nation. People need to get over it, learn history, and know that there is no such thing as "a melting pot". Any nation right now trying to take on that theory is learning that the hard way (looking at you Europe).