Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    Why would someone create malware for a mac? Is there a black market for photo albums of cats and half written novels?

Low blow imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they are allowed to donate, but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

This has reminded me of the 'Hackers on steroids' FOX11 clip. I won't post it here since it might be considered NSFW.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxHeart View Post
    The unfortunate fact of the matter is that many, many people in wow are very passionate in their obsession with acting like a complete retard.

I'm enjoying this failure of this Olympics ever since Russia won the hosting rights for this year. God damn, even China outperformed your asses. I'm sure Brazil will, too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I don't think so. It'd be pretty fucking stupid though.

Putin: Those damn homos

Citizens: ....We're being hacked!!!

Putin: Well....umm......it's not us.

Putin suck up: *Whispers* Sir we are..actually

Citizens: Wtf???

I just watched a series of videos showing people in groups beating up homosexuals in Russia. I think everyone should boykot the winter olympics. No offense to you 'normal' Russians, but your country is shit.
    Last edited by CptEgo; 2014-02-06 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    help me out here i need someone who knows what he´s talking about

how the hell did his smartphone and macbook get hacked, i mean, from start to finish, how did the hackers get the information that he´s connected in the first place, then how did they get into his devices and so on...
    Precisely how? I can't tell you the methods they specifically used, but when a computer or a device tries to connect to a network, broadly speaking, there are multiple steps of handshaking involved and continuous acknowledgement that the connection is still active. Most information is transmitted in the clear.

If you want to do something fun, get the program called Wireshark, then go to a public place, like a mall for example and run it. It looks like this:

That may look like greek to you, but to me, I see what websites everyone in the room is looking at.

Wireshark is a packet sniffer, which means (pasted from it's definition
    As data streams flow across the network, the sniffer captures each packet and, if needed, decodes the packet's raw data, showing the values of various fields in the packet, and analyzes its content according to the appropriate RFC or other specifications.
    http://internet.wonderhowto.com/how-...eshark-424506/

Where do people learn how to do this? Well it's easy and on the internet, but I learned how to do it in a class room, in school, from a professor, in an academic setting. He actually did it to my class, years ago, to illustrate how packets work. Wireshark is hardly a hackers tool, but it goes to show how easy it is. You just have to run it and be in a room and traffic, mostly unencrypted, is easily intercepted and analyzed.

That's why people concerned about privacy come off as so utterly backwards. The above facts are shocking to them, but it's inherent to the technology and always has been. If you've been using Wifi the past decade and change it's been on the consumer market, you've been basically putting up a billboard saying "I'm here! This is what I am reading", wherever you are. You really wanna be stupid? Use airport wifi, hotel wifi or public wifi. When I go to a hotel, I use their wired connection, because of exactly this.

Wirless means information can broadly be intercepted, period. It always has and it always will. People truly concerned about privacy will use wired, and have air gaps between their device and the host when not using it. And also not use a cellphone. Or GPS. You say "how the hell could they?". The truth is, the correct statement is "That is utterly unsurprising."

Here's some info on Russia and China's hostile environment:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/11/te...ewanted=1&_r=0

When Kenneth G. Lieberthal, a China expert at the Brookings Institution, travels to that country, he follows a routine that seems straight from a spy film.

He leaves his cellphone and laptop at home and instead brings “loaner” devices, which he erases before he leaves the United States and wipes clean the minute he returns. In China, he disables Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, never lets his phone out of his sight and, in meetings, not only turns off his phone but also removes the battery, for fear his microphone could be turned on remotely. He connects to the Internet only through an encrypted, password-protected channel, and copies and pastes his password from a USB thumb drive. He never types in a password directly, because, he said, “the Chinese are very good at installing key-logging software on your laptop.”
    Now, United States companies, government agencies and organizations are doing the same by imposing do-not-carry rules. Representative Mike Rogers, the Michigan Republican who is chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, said its members could bring only “clean” devices to China and were forbidden from connecting to the government’s network while abroad. As for himself, he said he traveled “electronically naked.”

At the State Department, employees get specific instruction on how to secure their devices in Russia and China, and are briefed annually on general principles of security. At the Brookings Institution, Mr. Lieberthal advises companies that do business in China. He said that there was no formal policy mandating that employees leave their devices at home, “but they certainly educate employees who travel to China and Russia to do so.”

McAfee, the security company, said that if any employee’s device was inspected at the Chinese border, it could never be plugged into McAfee’s network again. Ever. “We just wouldn’t take the risk,” said Simon Hunt, a vice president.

At AirPatrol, a company based in Columbia, Md., that specializes in wireless security systems, employees take only loaner devices to China and Russia, never enable Bluetooth and always switch off the microphone and camera. “We operate under the assumption that we will inevitably be compromised,” said Tom Kellermann, the company’s chief technology officer and a member of a panel established by the Center for Strategic and International Studies to advise President Obama on cybersecurity.

Google said it would not comment on its internal travel policies, but employees who spoke on condition of anonymity said the company prohibited them from bringing sensitive data to China, required they bring only loaner laptops or have their devices inspected upon their return.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2014-02-06 at 11:32 AM.

Deleted
    .. And?

Unless they're planning on assassinating me I really couldn't give a rats arse what they know about me. I'd happily share it all in person ~

Deleted
    These things happen daily by the thousands. These Olympics are no different. It's not news but Americans really seem hell-bent on making Russians look like cavemen who discovered electricity 5 years ago.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevecow View Post
    This just keeps getting better and better.
    I wonder if they can sue them for this.

This is officially the worst olympics ever concieved.

And if Kaspersky is in charge of the "security" I think I might reconsider using their products...

10+ Year Old Account
    Karma for you know what <3

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    .. And?

Unless they're planning on assassinating me I really couldn't give a rats arse what they know about me. I'd happily share it all in person ~
    You don't mind them taking all of your personal information, stealing your identity, possibly money, charging things in your name, etc?

Cool, can I get your SS, name, mother's maiden name, etc? My buddy in Nigeria needs it.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wacomman View Post
    These things happen daily by the thousands. These Olympics are no different. It's not news but Americans really seem hell-bent on making Russians look like cavemen who discovered electricity 5 years ago.
    Ah, so it's a conspiracy against Russia? Yeah I've heard that one before, from russians, who probably heard it through their propaganda machine.
    You wouldn't happen to be russian yourself...?

Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    help me out here i need someone who knows what he´s talking about
    You can ignore Skroesec's post. The reporter downloaded the malware by connecting to some random Wifi in a the cafe. As long as you don't click on "Amazing tips for abs" and have an anti-virus you would be fine.

Charge me Doctor is right, the OP is promoting that ebaum site.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    You wouldn't happen to be russian yourself...?
    It's Putin himself writing on MMO-C!

Seriously though, why wouldn't the Russian government be spying on their own people. It's not like Putin has made Russia known for it's humanism, democracy and fairness.

Quote Originally Posted by Cybran View Post
    You can ignore Skroesec's post. The reporter downloaded the malware by connecting to some random Wifi in a the cafe. As long as you don't click on "Amazing tips for abs" and have an anti-virus you would be fine.

Charge me Doctor is right, the OP is promoting that ebaum site.
    Is this for that time I called you crazier than a bag of cats and everyone laughed?

Also it just linked a story from NBC news your hapless buffoon.
    Last edited by Skroe; 2014-02-06 at 11:51 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    snip
    very interesting read, i use wireshark at work, just out of boredom sometimes to have a look at what my colleagues are doing while "working"

i never use public wifi or something like that because of these very reasons, but i was a bit confused about the part in the clip when his smartphone just downloaded something out of nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Why would someone create malware for a mac? Is there a black market for photo albums of cats and half written novels?

Another Windows 7 moron with no clue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    It was never claimed that you got hacked by connecting, only that you got hacked quickly after connecting.
    basically you connect, their software logs into their backdoor, if it fails then you don't have the malware installed.
    step2, take that connected device and escalate permissions to where you can instal stuff.
    step3, instal the program - enjoy the new data.
    simplest way to explain it, if it's malware being installed by the gov't then any and all devices without that malware will have a red flag, i'm sure some people have good enough security it might take someone to actually get on a computer to do some manual hacking but heh...who knows how good their cyber department is
    (it would be a good test of any automated programs, to see how well they can get into computers originating from outside of their country, by first doing it inside their country to people visiting - and if all goes well, then you do it on a worldwide scale like the NSA has)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    You don't mind them taking all of your personal information, stealing your identity, possibly money, charging things in your name, etc?

Cool, can I get your SS, name, mother's maiden name, etc? My buddy in Nigeria needs it.
    If they steal my money I'll be reimbursed by my bank. The way I look at it is that regardless of whether the media discover these sorts of things or not it will always happen and on a global scale is pretty much impossible to regulate, even if enough people stood up against it.

Deleted

My sides are in orbit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Aint this on the spot what NSA is doing to people entering the US ? ........ was a news story like a week ago that whenever you use a WIFI at a airport you get tracked for 4-5 days by the NSA to keep track of people traveling into the US.

Mind that the news never did say anything was stolen and abused from them ( info ) just that the info went to a russian based server.

Sounds to be the same thing here tbh.
    That was in Canada by the Canadians.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.