Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/15/tech/i...html?hpt=te_r1

• If anything you see upsets you, it is your problem, not the poster's.
    • Keep it simple. Odds are, most people reading this are stoned.

internet etiquette
    POWERED BY THE RED RAGE OF OUR CUSTOMERS, THIS IRON STEED WILL VALIANTLY LEAD YOU INTO BATTLE FOR THE ONLY FEW WEEKS YOU WILL USE IT. TAKES ONLY $30 AND YOUR SOUL TO ENJOY THE MOUNT EVERY OTHER PERSON HAS. BUY NOOOW.

Deleted
    Not really harassed, just mildly annoyed at most; Some people can be very aggressive when shut down...

Thankfully, the websites that it occurred upon had functions to block, report, and then move on whilst the perpetrator is dealt with.

Oh, I'm disappointed, when I read the topic I thought it was the name of a new mmo

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    This is the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

It's really cool that some of you guys are ultra tough and don't care about anything and wouldn't care if someone said such-and-such or if they found where you worked and started calling you at work or at home, or spamming you with dick pics or whatever else. I'm glad that you don't feel like these things would upset you and that's great.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you see it) not everyone is a clone of you. Some people really do not want this stuff. That doesn't make them a bad person, or stupid, or whatever, it just means they feel strongly about different things to you. If that makes them over sensitive... so what? Is that a problem? The world would be a boring place if everyone was the same. Telling someone to get off the internet because they don't want to see pictures of strangers dicks is like saying "don't go outside if you don't want to get raped". It's ridiculous, it's victim blaming, and it needs to stop.

And the "grow a thicker skin - it's only harrassment if you let it upset you" crowd: You can't just "grow thicker skin". Having thick skin comes from a place of security, and you can't just choose to feel secure. Especially while you are being harrassed and stalked.

I know it's the cool thing these days to be all untouchable and to not care about anything and blah blah blah because that's what you see in movies and videogames and people try to emulate such characters but please understand that not everyone is the same as you, and there's nothing wrong with that, and being different to you and finding different things to you upsetting isn't a bad thing and nothing about it invalidates those feelings.
    Thats absolute bullshit you can always chose to feel secure, Its the internet. If you get shocked by things people send you and dick pics go on 4chan for a week and it will never shock you again. Those that get bullied on the internet are mentally weak. You can get mad at me for that statement but its true. You can always block/ignore/walk away.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to be exceptionally stupid to be harassed on the internet. If they don't know who you really are they can't really harass you.
    If a fat kid falls in the forrest and no one is around do the trees laugh?
    You're an insignificant speck of a person sitting on an insignificant speck of a world orbiting an insignificant speck of a star in an insignificant speck of a galaxy. Literally, no one cares what you think.

Your parents shouldn't really let you online until you've learned how to make yourself less of a target
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta333 View Post
    Thats absolute bullshit you can always chose to feel secure, Its the internet. If you get shocked by things people send you and dick pics go on 4chan for a week and it will never shock you again. Those that get bullied on the internet are mentally weak. You can get mad at me for that statement but its true. You can always block/ignore/walk away.
    4chan isn't really all that shocking, it's just a bunch of kids who are trying way too hard to be shocking. It's like those "hipsters" who are trying way too hard to be unique and counterculture, except with uniqueness replaced with shockingness. Besides, so what if someone is "mentally weak" - why is that a problem? Should these people not be allowed to live happy lives too? Should they have to police their own actions to fit around those of assholes?

It's not about what's shocking or not shocking though, it's that some people really don't want to see peoples dicks, or hear rape jokes or whatever. These things don't shock people, they just don't want to see them. Why is that so wrong?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callous1970 View Post
    You have to be exceptionally stupid to be harassed on the internet. If they don't know who you really are they can't really harass you.
    Many young people don't have the maturity to just block/remove/delete the person , It has nothing to do with stupidity.

There have been at least 4 young people just in the UK who have killed themselves after abuse left on there ask/fm accounts , I don't look at these victims and think they are stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Deyana View Post
    find you irl" yada yada...
    Would love to have a new freind over, it would be the last thing he ever did

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post
    Many young people don't have the maturity to just block/remove/delete the person , It has nothing to do with stupidity.

There have been at least 4 young people just in the UK who have killed themselves after abuse left on there ask/fm accounts , I don't look at these victims and think they are stupid.
    I'm a bad person for doing that very exact thing.

Of course, i have a specific example in mind of why i think it to be so; The girl flamed herself on her Ask account, and people picked up on it, further abusing her online.

I can't imagine how her parents felt hearing she directly instigated the circumstances

Deleted
    I am being harassed by Scrapbot and i can NOT ignore him, HELP ME!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Manakin View Post
    I'm a bad person for doing that very exact thing.

Of course, i have a specific example in mind of why i think it to be so; The girl flamed herself on her Ask account, and people picked up on it, further abusing her online.

I can't imagine how her parents felt hearing she directly instigated the circumstances
    That was a bit of a one-off case, and I guess she was suffering from some really sad mental health issues and don't think it's really for or against this discussion, since like... weird circumstances.

You can think these people are stupid, and maybe people will think you are a bit of an asshole for it, who knows, that's not really the point though - you can think whatever you think. They are still victims though. It doesn't matter whether they were very sensitive or stupid or whatever. A person's life has just as much value if they are sensitive or stupid. Like what kind of sociopath thinks it's fine for someone to be harrassed to the point of suicide just for placing more value on something than someone else does?

4chan isn't really all that shocking, it's just a bunch of kids who are trying way too hard to be shocking. It's like those "hipsters" who are trying way too hard to be unique and counterculture, except with uniqueness replaced with shockingness. Besides, so what if someone is "mentally weak" - why is that a problem? Should these people not be allowed to live happy lives too? Should they have to police their own actions to fit around those of assholes?

It's not about what's shocking or not shocking though, it's that some people really don't want to see peoples dicks, or hear rape jokes or whatever. These things don't shock people, they just don't want to see them. Why is that so wrong?
    Then there is a very easy solution. Dont go on the internet. Just because you think your special and should be treated this way and that way doesnt mean the word should cater to you. Go be a farmer. If you cant deal with how the general world has changed and evolved then get out. Less complaining for us to have to sift through.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by RoryTee View Post

Thats not abuse thats just comments. I fail to see how typed text is abuse. These are just weak willed people and tbh i have no sympathy for people who kill themselves over shit said over the internet. If children cant cope then dont let them use the internet.

Deleted
    Then there is a very easy solution. Dont go on the internet. Just because you think your special and should be treated this way and that way doesnt mean the word should cater to you. Go be a farmer. If you cant deal with how the general world has changed and evolved then get out. Less complaining for us to have to sift through.
    So hang on, everyone should have to not use one of the best, most important inventions since computers themselves... because other people want to be an asshole some more? Isn't this the same as saying "Don't go outside if you don't want to get raped" or "Don't get drunk if you don't want to get raped" or "if you don't want to suffer domestic violence, don't get into a relationship"

10+ Year Old Account

Thats not abuse thats just comments. I fail to see how typed text is abuse. These are just weak willed people and tbh i have no sympathy for people who kill themselves over shit said over the internet. If children cant cope then dont let them use the internet.

Do the world a favour and never have kids , seriously.

You have no sympathy for victims of bullies who kill themselves , that is what you are saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKnubbles View Post
    Have you ever actually played in a group? People throw out insults all the time. They will tell you to uninstall and kill yourself. Yes, that is harassment.
    In those cases its mostly about just growing a thicker skin and realise its just people venting their frustration at you and not really something aimed at you as a person in real life most of the time.

Anonymity does things to how people behave online towards others, these people would never have said such things in real life in most cases because they would get their faces punched in shortly afterwards.

10+ Year Old Account
    So hang on, everyone should have to not use one of the best, most important inventions since computers themselves... because other people want to be an asshole some more? Isn't this the same as saying "Don't go outside if you don't want to get raped" or "Don't get drunk if you don't want to get raped" or "if you don't want to suffer domestic violence, don't get into a relationship"
    Sadly yes, you don't always get what you want in life.

Some people handle being fucked with differently.
    Some people who fuck with other people do not know when to stop.
    Isn't that all there is too it?
    "If you want to control people, if you want to feed them a pack of lies and dominate them, keep them ignorant. For me, literacy means freedom." - LaVar Burton.

Deleted
    Well yeah. While i was playing tibia like 6 years ago some random duche locked me in his house and told me to type really bad things in chat - this was my key to freedom. But i felt terrible after what i had to type. Anyway i helped my friend that was actually harrased. Terrible thing. Human emotions after weeks of being harrased are broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Twoddle View Post
    How can you let that get to you though? I had that all through my WoW career.
    The topic is about getting harassed, and telling someone to uninstall cause bad or kill yourself is harassment.
    The topic is not about shrugging it off or not, if someone tells you '' go die'' ingame and you are like '' whatever '' that is your decision, but some people actually want a nice atmosphere to play in without dickheads and shrugging it off won't make them stop verbally abusing people.

Reporting them and giving them a 24/48/72/permanent ban on the other hand will.
    If you wanna create a cesspit of a community by just ignoring everything and let them continue that's your opinion, but the topic is not really about '' lol baby handle it noob ''