Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    That's why there are people in legendary rank that have never spent a penny outside of an arena run or two, this is a completely free game with the choice of skipping the grind with money for those who value time over money.

RNG, well that's a rather laughable concept to complain about. Having played other card games like magic, yugioh, pokemon, etc. I can say with a fair amount of confidence this game has less RNG bullshit than them.
    You can only have 30 cards in a deck meaning that your chances of drawing a useful card is a higher percentage than most TCG's.
    Due to the lack of land/mana cards (replaced with mana crystals per turn) there is no mana screwed situations, rather the worst that can happen if you built a deck with too many high cost cards.

Honestly though Hearthstone is a card game, complaining about RNG is like complaining that the sky is blue...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    "Blizzard excels at making simple, casual games, like a game Hearthstone was designed to be"

"This game is shit because it's simple and casual"
    Lol, you, my friend, just won the annual "Most inaccurate interpretation of text" award. Congratulations!

Without accepting that you will lose without having any way of controlling it at times you will suffer a heart attack sometime along the way playing that crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KBWarriors View Post
    The design and artwork for the game is top notch. Blizzard never disappoints in that respect and they always go all out. I love their art team for all that they do.

However, to make it a long story short: Hearthstone is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. I got through the Tutorial easy enough, the usage and priorities of the cards seemed self explanatory.

Then, when you get up to playing random people, that's where you realize what this game is all about...

#1 - 100% RNG
    #2 - How much money you're willing to throw at packs. Being a card game, I'm pretty sure Blizzard knew that. Hell, their projections for "profit" off of this game alone are astounding considering how much they've made during Beta.

I never had a close call match, you either wiped the board with them or got your ass handed to you without having a chance to fight back. The level of RNG in this game is absolutely utterly stupid. 0% RNG isn't ideal, but they went way overboard with it in this one.

I get less and less excited every time something with the Blizzard title comes along now days...
    Hmm i would disagree i have yet to use money on the game. though still pretty unlucky with card packs (not a single epic or legendary) but with basic cards ive managed to get to rank 19 so far.

I am no where near a good tcg player but i do like it.

Stop mentioning mtg trying to stop playing that game :P
    Last edited by Saphyron; 2014-02-14 at 01:06 PM.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

Quote Originally Posted by Matash View Post
    I met a guy, and after killing his 7th legendary card with my no legendary paladin deck (i had lucky rng for cards like humility, equality, etc.) he draw Ysera. After nearly 30 minutes of surviving the unsurvivable, he draw 8th legendarY card. Have not played another match after this one :-/
    I don't get why people are constantly frustrated over people having better cards.

Some people have better gear in WoW, some people have faster cars than you IRL, just deal with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Neklord View Post
    Yeah, the game is pretty bad and frustrating. RNG is part of every card game though, but the legendaries are ruining the game.
    the more i play the more i run into players with legendaries that just plain fuck me over and turn a sure win to a disasterous loss

Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    I cannot take anyone seriously who says this game is 100% RNG, closer to 20%.
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. Look again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shauni View Post
    Have you ever played a real Trading Card game ?
    You pretty much describe it.

Part luck, part money (for a good meta game deck), part skill.

You will understand the last part when you will launch a spell, then immediately thought "Oh non...If I had launched another spell I would have won....And now I'm out of shards...I just lost the game..."

Victory needs a liitle bit of those three, even with a real TCG like magic.

You have a good deck, good skill but no luck ? Enjoy your mana death.
    You have good luck and a good deck but no skill ? Enjoy roflstomping your oponent with you Red Deck Win (trolling here)

Luck and imba cards have always been a part of the game. When you will have a good deck and good oponent it will even and skill will take a huge part. Playing skill and deck building skill.

At low level though, the one with the legendary win. Like in a real TCG.
    i used to play yugioh with some friends and bought packs more often than them and so eventually ended up with decks that they just couldnt compete/deal with..

Deleted
    It would be nice if you could get to pick one card from your deck that you get 100% guaranteed to the starting hand. Would even out things, as now as its standing the one who gets turns 1 2 3 better than the other almost always wins the game.

About the pay to win: Ive spent 0 euros to the game and now have a solid deck at rank 7 without any legendaries. Just done the dailys and some arena when i have the gold.
    Last edited by mmoc7f4ca4fed4; 2014-02-14 at 02:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feluna View Post
    I like the game, but yes, it is damn frustrating. Especially when you play damn well in a round and just loose at the end out of pure rng...
    Is the same with ALL card games

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekovivie View Post
    I don't get why people are constantly frustrated over people having better cards.

Some people have better gear in WoW, some people have faster cars than you IRL, just deal with it.
    But then, WoW is not exactly a competitive game. The core of WoW is PvE, and its PvP element scales players enough that the one with superior gear won't necessarily be much stronger.

Imagine if in Starcraft 2 people who played longer had at start, say, not 6 workers, but 10. Won't be much challenge against a player with 8 workers, will it?

What I'd like to see in games like Hearthstone (MtG included) is just new cards, not stronger cards, just different. If you play more, you have more variety to build your deck with, but you don't have a few game changers, no matter how big a deck you have. As it is now, someone in MtG can spend $1,000, and he will beat everyone who has spent $10, unless he is REALLY bad. And in Hearthstone, if you play for half a year (or simply have paid a fortune of real money) and have almost all the cards to choose from, including all legendaries, you will absolutely crush everyone who played less than 2 months, unless you are really bad and your deck is a piece of crap.

But, for me, legendaries are not the biggest problem in this game. The biggest problem is insanely big RNG and low variety in cards. And also that terrible minion trade system that completely destroys any strategy and leaves only tactics.

Quote Originally Posted by Feluna View Post
    I like the game, but yes, it is damn frustrating. Especially when you play damn well in a round and just loose at the end out of pure rng...
    This sort of mentality is the problem. You think you played well throughout the entire game, then lost to RNG. What do you define as RNG? Top-decking the one card that would finish you off? I call that decent deck construction personally. And why were you on such low health in the first place? If you truly were playing well, wouldn't you be on higher health so that sort of top-decking couldn't occur in the first place?

It's very easy to blame RNG when you see a Hunter pull a Kill Command to finish you off (to use an example earlier in this thread). What you should really be thinking about is the series of plays that led to that moment. Could you have done anything differently to prevent that top-decked card from making a difference? Here's a rough example of one of my own games:

The opponent has a clear board and I have a few minions out. I could either put down a taunt minion or a high power minion that would enable me to end the game on my next turn. I decided that I should put down the high power minion, leaving me open for direct damage.

My opponent then puts down a Leeroy Jenkins and finishes me off.

If I'd put down the taunt minion, they would not have been able to do that. If I hadn't taken so much damage during the match, they would not have been able to do that. There's so many things you can do in the entire match to improve yourself, but instead, so many people are blaming RNG for the final top-decked card that finishes you off.

You'll never improve as a player if you can't recognise your own mistakes.

You are right, the game is simple enough that after you play and learn the basics, that it really just comes down to RNG. All the people playing ranked use the same cards over and over again (agro deck with Rag and Ysera anyone?). The game is less complicated than every single TCG I have seen. This isnt bad, but after maybe a few months I can see people get real tired of this game. Competitive wise this game needs to introduce more complicated mechanics, or literally watching a match is just to see who draws which cheap agro card again and again.

Its not really entirely pay to win, but on some level it is. All these people saying you can win with basic cards do not realize that that the same reasoning applies to every single pay to win game out there. Sure you can win with basic cards, but you do not have a choice to structure a deck with some legendaries, your choice is limited, so you have to play the same few cards again and again for several months unless you get lucky with card packs. You can win with less, but why would you want to just want to play with less.

Its not like other TCG, where I can print out a card for yugioh and put it in a deck sleeve. People do not card if you have the real super expensive cards, they care about the choice of using them. Thats where hearthstone goes wrong, by limiting choice for months. However, I see little to no other way they can really make money on an online TCG if it didnt use the system hearthstone is using now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    You'll never improve as a player if you can't recognise your own mistakes.
    WTF are you saying. The game isnt hard enough to recognize that if you have a minion that can win the game next turn, you will not play it. Its nothing to improve on. Sure skill plays a factor, in that you recognize that you need basic defense and good deck construction, but at a certain, rather low, point the game truly is heavily RNG based because it is not complex in its design.
    Last edited by cityguy193; 2014-02-14 at 02:09 PM.
    Chronomancer Club

If two players have the exact same deck and the exact same level of skill, luck will decide the victor.
    If two players have the exact same deck and the exact same level of luck, skill will decide the victor.
    If two players have the exact same luck and the exact same level of skill, the deck will decide the victor.

This is what TCGs are. If you don't like it, that's fine. They're not for everyone. Don't blame Blizzard and lambaste future Blizzard titles because you don't like TCGs.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever the Regent-Lord needs me to be
    I run two legends and they only help me win about 35% of the times. Most of the time I win through smart plays. Though my win rate is only 50%. Why? Because I make stupid mistakes.

Also I have lost more games to people with out legends then I have to people with legends. Good combos are good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    You can win without paying a penny, legendaries are nice but you do not need them.

Here's some info on how to make a cheap deck, without paying for anything with real cash. There are 6 episodes.

after this deck became known everyone changed their deck to work against it. I havnt seen this deck above 9 this season and i think its silly to say you can get legendary without legendaries based on 1 deck that doesnt work anymore. 99% of every legendary deck has 1-a crap ton of legendaries in it. This is not a competitive game, it is a slot machine for you to pump money into.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Solzan Nemesis View Post
    I run two legends and they only help me win about 35% of the times. Most of the time I win through smart plays. Though my win rate is only 50%. Why? Because I make stupid mistakes.

Also I have lost more games to people with out legends then I have to people with legends. Good combos are good.
    so 2 cards out of 30 win 35% of your games by themself?.... I wonder how good having like 8 of those cards in a deck would be(druid). Super rare cards winning games is one thing. When they severely limit your card gains to a trickle and make them super rare ontop of it, well it just gets really frustrating and boring to those that cant spend alot on it.
    this isnt responding to you specifically- I dont understand why people cant accept that others have a problem with this game. It is yet another unbalanced blizzard game that also gives such a huge bonus to those who buy packs that it is the only way to win competitively. Not to say free decks, or building cards over time cant have some success but if you want to get legendary you better have some.
    That being said I have enjoyed the game to a point.
    Last edited by Myci; 2014-02-14 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Life Lesson #1 - People are terrible.

Don't let it get to you. It'll only spoil your own personal enjoyment if you do.

Yup, the game is extremely frustrating. You can play perfectly, but lose to RNG. But it's the same with every card game. Which is why I don't play them and only tried to make an exception for Hearthstone. I quit after a few days, it's totally not for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    Having this mentally WILL destroy you, and will make you loose your games.

In the famous blizzcon matchup Trump VS Artosis Trump went in as the clear favorite, as he had streamed quite a bit and did very well in that regard. When i was looking at the games all I could think was "Holy shit, this Artosis guy is so lucky" and as everyone else blamed it on RNG when artosis won. Later i managed to stumble on this article on reddit: http://www.liquidhearth.com/forum/vi...p?topic_id=354 and it changed my viewpoint.

As you can see both of the players did clear mistakes in the games, even though they were a few of the best players in the world, who had played hundreds and hundreds of games. You can see the same trend in ESGN, and other high tournaments when either the casters or other players agree or disagree with certain plays. When Strifecro played a Defender of Argus on an empty board at 4 mana people were ourtaged and very few agreed with the play. It still showed that in that sitution the play was very solid and made a huge impact on him actually winning the game.

Sometimes RNG will fuck you over, but the only time you're allowed to blame RNG is when you played 100% perfect for the whole game, yes THE WHOLE GAME. 1 mistake in Hearthstone will likely cost you the game, and playing perfect also means playing around Fireballs, kill commands, Unleash, Flamestrike, all of those cards.

It's not RNG that Kripp or Ekop, or Savjz manages to score higher Arena/Normal mode ratings then most others, blaming it on RNG will only make you a worse player, and it's one huge mistake.

Card Quality does matter indeed, but is not even close to other TCGs. To get the best cards in HS you either have to play for awhile, or you have to spend like 100 dollars, which really isn't that much for a game this big. It has been proven time after time that no legendaries are required to get to the top, and you need to spend 0 money on arena if you play solid there. Saying "only 1 deck worked" is wrong, as there have been PLENTY of decks going to legendary with 0 legenderies.

i've been getting my cards from packs bought with gold... just spent some $ on a couple of arenas runs! (which is meaningless)

Until now i got 7 legendaries which i use here and there. but honestly it is very rare that I put 2 or more on a single deck...
    Still I win above 60% of my games and I win some games without loosing any HP or just crushing the opponent! And I also get completely raped sometimes...

Bad hand/bad matchup is easy to get you conceding the game early...

The RNG is real but is a bad excuse... All card games have RNG by the simple fact that you draw cards...
    still there are ways of minimizing that RNG and that is what differentiates good players from bad and good decks from bad...

TBH I feel that RNG on this game is lower that in most card games... even that on MTG...

Quote Originally Posted by Boogums View Post
    If two players have the exact same deck and the exact same level of skill, luck will decide the victor.
    If two players have the exact same deck and the exact same level of luck, skill will decide the victor.
    If two players have the exact same luck and the exact same level of skill, the deck will decide the victor.

This is what TCGs are. If you don't like it, that's fine. They're not for everyone. Don't blame Blizzard and lambaste future Blizzard titles because you don't like TCGs.
    Exactly this. It is very hard to quantify it in percentages but if I had to I would have to say it's 33% skill 33%, deck and 33% rng. To say the game is 100% rng is laughable, that would mean if you took a new player and a pro, gave them access to the exact same pool of cards and made them play a series of games, the games would be even. They wouldn't even be close.