Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Is Hearthstone now unplayable for new F2P players?

I have a few friends I'm trying to introduce to hearthstone, I recommended the Naxxramas and Blackwing expansions specifically the first few wings for key cards.

However it seems like Magic without alot of $$$ the game is becoming less and less accessible. It's hard to see how newcomers and join the game as of now.

Harder than before? Possibly.

Unplayable? No.

I started playing about a month or two ago. Just a few games a day and have never spent money on the game. I don't plan to either. While I've ran into people where their deck was obviously built with all around better cards, I just kept playing and really I'm not having much trouble. I don't win every game, and sometimes yes I lose to those decks with better cards, but the more I play the more I notice that its usually not the cards you have, but how you play them and the draw you get. In fact the draw you get seems to be more important than cards overall. Maybe Its because I'm new and play for fun rather than race up the ladder that I'm not seeing the same decks over and over again, but I've seen the pre-mades and the heavy handed rare decks and both won and lost against them enough to know whats going on. So give your friends some time to see where they can get before recommending spending cash.
    One of these days, I should probably figure out a decent signature.

Depends what your goal is .... random games where you win a few and lose a few around rank 20-15, can be done perfectly fine with starter cards and a few crafted over time.

You are not going legend tho.

It takes between 3 and 4 months to get the 2 adventures with gold. Nothing significant but extremely boring for new players.

Quote Originally Posted by Drungan View Post
    Depends what your goal is .... random games where you win a few and lose a few around rank 20-15, can be done perfectly fine with starter cards and a few crafted over time.

You are not going legend tho.
    face hunter still remains legend viable and dirt cheap to make

Quote Originally Posted by Stormspellz View Post
    face hunter still remains legend viable and dirt cheap to make
    It's not though, the mad scientist costs 2800 gold.

having more cards so you can google legend ladder decks does make it easier but good players can get that level with basic decks

10+ Year Old Account
    New players either like the game or they don't. If they do, they'll put in the time and/or money.

When HS' numbers start plummeting a la WoW, then we can all freak out and run around about how terrible new players have it.

Quote Originally Posted by haxartus View Post
    It's not though, the mad scientist costs 2800 gold.
    honestly that isn't that bad

I've been playing for a year now and I still haven't come close to having all the cards needed for most competitive decks besides aggro ones. I only really play mage because I have the cards for it to at least make it to rank 10.

Got all of nax and brm but missing so many classic legendary cards like

sylvanas
    malganis
    jaraxxus
    velen
    tirion
    antonidas
    alex
    malygos
    cenarius
    grommash
    baron
    and of course boom

It really doesn't seem worth it anymore and I'm losing interest. You should get like at least one playable legendary in every 10 packs or something because I don't have anywhere close to the dust needed to craft them. Just made a few giants recently after never getting them in packs and getting tired of having to play the same deck.
    Last edited by matt4pack; 2015-10-30 at 10:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matt4pack View Post
    I've been playing for a year now and I still haven't come close to having all the cards needed for most competitive decks besides aggro ones. I only really play mage because I have the cards for it to at least make it to rank 10.

sylvanas
    malganis
    jaraxxus
    velen
    tirion
    antonidas
    alex
    malygos
    cenarius
    grommash
    baron
    and of course boom

It really doesn't seem worth it anymore and I'm losing interest. You should get like at least one playable legendary in every 10 packs or something because I don't have anywhere close to the dust needed to craft them. Just made a few giants recently after never getting them in packs and getting tired of having to play the same deck.
    Then you must be playing wrong because I've been playing for less than a year and I have everything I need. I have 5 decks that are either meta tier 2 or tier 1 right now, including secret paladin. I could play at any level of constructed I want, and I'm also saving gold for the next adventure and I will buy it at launch.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2015-10-30 at 10:23 PM.

I feel like they should make older expansions free or cheaper in bundle deals, and make old card packs cheaper but reduce the amount of dust you get for disenchanting cards from those packs. Ie. Classic Packs would be 40 packs for 25$ or 50 gold per pack, but you'd get half the dust for disenchanting. Legendary's would dust for 200, Epics for 50, Rares for 10, Commons for 5.

Deleted

sylvanas
    malganis
    jaraxxus
    velen
    tirion
    antonidas
    alex
    malygos
    cenarius
    grommash
    baron
    and of course boom

I love the way you just write up a list of popular legendaries like you, somehow, need all of them. Actually, you have the legendaries for half a dozen decks in in that list. E.g. Malygos and Cenarius are both rare and only seen in very specific decks. Velen, tirion, antonidas and grommash, all from four different decks.

Anyway, @OP do we really need this question asked and answered all over again? When was the last time, last week, yesterday maybe? Lost count by now how many times people insist on rehashing this issue.

Then you must be playing wrong because I've been playing for less than a year and I have everything I need. I have 5 decks that are either meta tier 2 or tier 1 right now, including secret paladin. I could play at any level of constructed I want, and I'm also saving gold for the next adventure and I will buy it at launch.
    I do daily quests but that's about it. Not really into arena and I hate aggro decks.

Sure if you're an infinity arena player or don't mind playing aggro it's a lot easier.

I do daily quests but that's about it. Not really into arena and I hate aggro decks.

Sure if you're an infinity arena player or don't mind playing aggro it's a lot easier.
    I'm not even infinite, I get 5 wins on average, then do the daily quest and I can do 1 arena per day, which basically doubles my pack purchasing power over someone who only does dailies.
    I also disenchant absolutely everything that doesn't fit in a deck or is considered bad, so I get quite a lot of dust from that, besides the ranked rewards at the end of the month. I could say that I can craft any legendary within 2 to 3 weeks of playing.
    Last edited by haxartus; 2015-10-30 at 10:57 PM.

I also disenchant absolutely everything that doesn't fit in a deck or is considered bad, so I get quite a lot of dust from that, besides the ranked rewards at the end of the month. I could say that I can craft any legendary within 2 to 3 weeks of playing.
    i like to collect all cards, but when i got mini mage, i was like seriously, no-one is ever playing this shit.

It's difficult, that's for sure. I've been playing on my euro account which hasn't unlocked any adventures and where every card has been bought with gold or rewards from quests and it's brutal at times. I've thankfully gotten a few legends (Sylvanas, Leeroy, Aviana) and have enough of a workable collection to play scrub mage, druid and lock decks, get enough wins each month to get the card back and slowly build the collection.

Wouldn't surprise me that by using their full knowledge of everyones' collections they've got some thresholds in mind for when it'd be appropriate to lower the gold/cash cost for older sets to make it easier to jump into but I wouldn't be surprised if they left it as is and just shrug off the people who drop the game due to the barrier of entry.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

Admittedly, yes. It will only get harder as the collection and deck building potential increases. Wouldn't be such a bad idea IMO to provide some free boosts for new entry players (gold bonuses and such).

Deleted
    Yes Hearthstone now costs €49,99. Sucks to be a f2p player.