Thread: Why Bladestorm?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatalfuror View Post
    I've been using Bladestorm with a Cancelaura macro built into Charge on IJ for about 4 weeks, utilizing it in a fashion similar to what Collision theoried here, but I'm a bit handicapped by still not having an offhand warforged weapon. Maybe Garrosh will be kind this week.

Our raid's STR DPS warforged RNG is pretty bad, especially for weapons.
    It looks to be far enough ahead that even with a lower ilvl offhand it'd still be slightly better. I was trying to think of a good key to use for the cancelaura, and that's a great idea to put it on charge.

I'm gonna try and see if there are breakpoints for DR/BS usage on 1 target, I could see lower crit levels being a concern, as bladestorm has been scaling from crit all expansion while DR has been capped. Also, ilevel discrepancy with gear and weapons, so if your average ilevel is 570 and are somehow still wielding 540 weapons, DR may be a better choice. It's likely that DR is still optimal for SMF, though.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Archimtiros View Post
    Yeah this whole theorycraft stuff is great except it tends to make us all second guess ourselves and change shit more often than not. Even things that were widely accepted as norm. We could very well a week later be saying "oops, guess I was wrong!"

Keep in mind, the difference between BS and DR is going to be extremely minor; and going to be alot more down to your own execution. I know I am going to see a rush of people start using BS on IJ now; remember his Action Line that he got such good results with BS is from using it with proc and cancelling after 4 ticks. So if you take BS and start using it to avoid the knockback; you are going to end up with worse results than if you'd used DR properly (with CD's, etc).
    Yeah, these are extremely minor dps increases. IMO, the biggest gain for BS on IJ is that you don't have to worry about clipping a mine with DR.

Deleted
    I find it easier to put cancelaura directly into bloodthirst and not spam the button while bladestorming, but trying to perfectly time it.
    Usually I end up delaying it by 0.5s however, just to make sure to account any kind of delay.

Quote Originally Posted by burk23 View Post
    I find it easier to put cancelaura directly into bloodthirst and not spam the button while bladestorming, but trying to perfectly time it.
    Usually I end up delaying it by 0.5s however, just to make sure to account any kind of delay.
    I'm a button spammer, that'd never work... Generally while spinning I'm spamming bloodthirst the entire 6 seconds.

I just have it bound to a button on my Naga, but Binding it to charge sounds smart. I already have two macros to bind Battle or Commanding Shout to Charge for convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by Neronis View Post
    I just have it bound to a button on my Naga, but Binding it to charge sounds smart. I already have two macros to bind Battle or Commanding Shout to Charge for convenience.
    I've used cancelaura Bladestorm bound to charge for years now. Actually the full macro has Cancelaura Bladestorm, Charge, Intervene and Victory Rush.
    I am also a button spammer so cancelaura on BT would be a bad idea. Even having Springs macro'd to CS can screw me up occasionally for that reason!

I've used cancelaura Bladestorm bound to charge for years now. Actually the full macro has Cancelaura Bladestorm, Charge, Intervene and Victory Rush.
    I tried Victory Rush to Charge but I liked having it light up when I got a Killing Blow so I eventually unbound it. P.S; Slightly unrelated but what fights do you guys use Enraged Regen on? I see a lot of people use Impeneding Victory. High Raid damage like Juggernaut or Thok? I find having another filler button like Impending Victory to be useful in case RNG isn't on my side. Don't you just love those fights where BT doesn't crit 4 times in a row at 90% crit chance?

Even having Springs macro'd to CS can screw me up occasionally for that reason!
    Hah! I know the feeling, I have it the same way. I had to set up a TMW to glow bright on the screen so I could use it as soon as it came up, but usually it works fine just being bound to CS!

Impending Victory isn't that useful these days, it's a dps increase in the barest sense of the word, but really with the higher rage gen we have, its pretty worthless. I use Enraged Regen and honestly just macro it my other defensives these days. Same reason I macro Springs to CS, not because its optimal, but because I don't have enough buttons anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by CollisionTD View Post
    I was trying to think of a good key to use for the cancelaura, and that's a great idea to put it on charge.
    I won't take credit for the idea. I tried to use it built into Bladestorm and that was an extremely bad idea. Complained about it in our little warrior group in guild and Executus mentioned using it with Charge. And of course, I was all "durr, why didn't I think of something like that?"

Now I need the RNG gods to give me a Warforged Xal'atoh so I can start tryharding ranks.

Rankings are over, unless your in a guild that will purposefully set it up so that you can get them (only aoe on malkorok, always down first on Norushen, have people afk or not stop healers on Galarkas, get buff on Sha). Even if your doing that it really comes down to just getting excellent RNG. We only raid 1-2 days out of the week and always carry 1-2 buyers or alts, I don't even try anymore.

Impending Victory isn't that useful these days, it's a dps increase in the barest sense of the word, but really with the higher rage gen we have, its pretty worthless. I use Enraged Regen and honestly just macro it my other defensives these days. Same reason I macro Springs to CS, not because its optimal, but because I don't have enough buttons anymore.
    Thanks again for all your input. I think I'll ween myself off of Impending Rage. I am sure our healers will appreciate it. I have noticed I use it less and less as time goes on.

Why Bladestorm? Because it's BLADESTOOOOOOOOOOOOORM ofcourse!!
    It was the sole reason i made a warrior, back in Lich King. Female tauren btw.

I remember once in AV there was an orc warrior who single handedly led the entire horde group all the way to Dun baldar, yelling BLADESTOOORM!!! while doing BS repeatedly as soon as cooldown allowed it (and receiving heals ofcourse). He never died once.

That was an awe inspiring moment i will never forget.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Quote Originally Posted by Neronis View Post
    Thanks again for all your input. I think I'll ween myself off of Impending Rage. I am sure our healers will appreciate it. I have noticed I use it less and less as time goes on.
    I haven't been using Impending Victory since about halfway through Throne of Thunder. I just don't like having a heal that required you to be within melee range to use, and was on the global. Enraged Regen can be used while your bladestorming too if for some reason you need it.

I'm a fan of second wind just because I'm lazy. Most deaths this tier are of the wtf variety, not the slowly bleeding out type.

Quote Originally Posted by CollisionTD View Post
    I'm a fan of second wind just because I'm lazy. Most deaths this tier are of the wtf variety, not the slowly bleeding out type.
    I did the same last tier, this tier I started macro'ing ER. It's not particularly optimal, and rarely I will separate them, but it works.

remember when i was complaining that simulations didn't necessarily take everything into account? this was why.

i'll chime in with having cancelaura bound to charge. it's the best place to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eranthe View Post
    remember when i was complaining that simulations didn't necessarily take everything into account? this was why.

i'll chime in with having cancelaura bound to charge. it's the best place to put it.
    I mean, it shows bladestorm being better than dragon roar, the action list creator (myself) just didn't take everything into account.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rankings are over, unless your in a guild that will purposefully set it up so that you can get them (only aoe on malkorok, always down first on Norushen, have people afk or not stop healers on Galarkas, get buff on Sha). Even if your doing that it really comes down to just getting excellent RNG. We only raid 1-2 days out of the week and always carry 1-2 buyers or alts, I don't even try anymore.
    Ye, rankings have like, 2-3 times they are useful in a tier (or competative). First few weeks of progression, for instance. People are generally similarly geared, doing fairly similar strats, and tend to have fairly similar fight lengths.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkfriend View Post
    Ye, rankings have like, 2-3 times they are useful in a tier (or competative). First few weeks of progression, for instance. People are generally similarly geared, doing fairly similar strats, and tend to have fairly similar fight lengths.
    I would actually contend that a lot of those things are true now as well, a few months after most of the top guilds have killed it. Ignoring a few of the extreme outliers, where guilds looking for the most beneficial strats for cheesing. I do think parses during the first few weeks are the most important though, because they typically involve the least amount of padding.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodletters View Post
    I would actually contend that a lot of those things are true now as well, a few months after most of the top guilds have killed it. Ignoring a few of the extreme outliers, where guilds looking for the most beneficial strats for cheesing. I do think parses during the first few weeks are the most important though, because they typically involve the least amount of padding.
    Everyone has their own opinion on it. Rankings early on suffer because many people are hiding their logs. Once most of those guilds start logging, the first few months after (Garrosh in this case) kills are the prime time for competition.
    You could argue that competition is more true right now, because there are more people competing and that is true to a certain extent; but once the fights have gotten farmed enough people A) get bored and quit/sit/bring alts; B) start bringing buyers, C) start setting up fights so that they can rank.

Now some people appreciate that kind of competition, and I guess its one of those things where its enjoyable if you are doing it, and unenjoyable if you are not.
    Personally though, I don't have the time or inclination to go through that kind of hassle, and it doesn't work very well when you are selling runs or carrying alts.

And really, a lot of ranking comes down to RNG. Not 5 minutes ago on our H Garrosh farm, I played the entire fight with upwards 400+ MS latency (my norm is 23-80) and somehow beat all my old records for that fight. I know for a fact I had RB's falling out of CS, screwed up a couple cooldowns and generally didn't have a very good time, as anyone who ever has to cope with high lag can attest. I completely lagged out for 5-10 seconds twice, luckily during a time that we didn't have to move at all; but that is a complete loss of GCDs. Yet somehow I managed to get a better rank. Go figure!

- - - Updated - - -

Also On Topic, if anyone is interested go back and re-read Collisions post on the first page about Bladestorm. Nothing changed as far as the result, but the math has been updated.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodletters View Post
    The spread is far greater now, however. More outliers.