Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Looking for a legal Windows repository

So my Windows installation came in the form of an ISO from my student dream spark account. Since MS allowed Windows 8 users to upgrade to Windows 8.1, I did so and it worked out great. Today I made a stupid mistake involving a mix-up of my SSD's and a friend which ended in the wrong one being formatted.
    Since I no longer have the ISO for Win8, would anyone happen to know a clean repository for Windows 8.1? (if such a thing exists) None of those warez sites, please.
    I would re-download the ISO from dream spark, but it comes as plain Windows 8.

Deleted
    Microsoft went on a witch hunt for all Windows ISO downloads.
    In the past it seemed they had no problem with it, but in recent years they took it all down.

If Dreamspark doesn't supply an ISO labeled Windows 8.1, and you don't want any middleman, then you're out of luck.
    Install Windows 8 and upgrade afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Exileos View Post
    Microsoft went on a witch hunt for all Windows ISO downloads.
    In the past it seemed they had no problem with it, but in recent years they took it all down.

If Dreamspark doesn't supply an ISO labeled Windows 8.1, and you don't want any middleman, then you're out of luck.
    Install Windows 8 and upgrade afterwards.
    Dang. Was it recent that they started doing that? I remember not too long ago seeing some of my class instructors use those sites to make a temporary VM. This is going to take awhile, it's practically downloading windows 8 twice. Not good on a 2Mbps line.
    Last edited by Libram; 2014-02-05 at 06:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    Dang. Was it recent that they started doing that? I remember not too long ago seeing some of my class instructors use those sites to make a temporary VM.
    You can still find ISO's for 7, but 8 they made a strange decision of really only selling upgrades to 8 so any 8 ISO's were immediately hunted down and destroyed . Really lame.

Edit: finally got my comprehension skills up to par. See you wanted to go straight to 8.1. Sorry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pwellzor View Post
    You can still find ISO's for 7, but 8 they made a strange decision of really only selling upgrades to 8 so any 8 ISO's were immediately hunted down and destroyed . Really lame.

Edit: finally got my comprehension skills up to par. See you wanted to go straight to 8.1. Sorry about that.
    Yeah, I'm just going to leave the media computer to download this overnight. Then the rest of the next day for the 8.1 store update.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is a little annoying that they don't have a DigitalRiver source anymore, however it's still just as easy (easier, maybe?)

You SHOULD be able to go here (microsoft site) and download the "Setup" for Win8. From there it should allow you to make an ISO of it, so you can do a clean install.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Warning

Don't format your hard drive before installing Windows. Your current version of Windows must be running when you begin installing Windows 8.1 or Windows 8.
    I hate doing upgrades, I always prefer to do a clean install..... dam you Microsoft...
    Thought I'd go here and ask but..... http://support.microsoft.com/contactus/#chat

5/2/2014 about:blank
    about:blank 1/1
    info: at 8:36:06
    Please wait for an agent to respond. You are currently '1' in the queue.
    info: at 8:36:08
    Privacy Statement
    You are now chatting with 'Joseph'.
    Joseph: at 8:36:16
    Welcome to Microsoft Customer Service Chat, Rob. Please give me a moment to review your question.
    Is that Okay?
    Rob: at 8:36:24
    Good Morning Joseph, thanks
    Joseph: at 8:38:36
    Good Morning, Rob.
    Joseph: at 8:38:38
    Thank you for waiting.
    Joseph: at 8:39:27
    Please click here to Download Windows 8.1 using your Product key
    Joseph: at 8:39:46
    If the above download link doesn't work, I would like to inform you that we have a dedicated team which
    helps you in this concern.
    Joseph: at 8:39:46
    Please call our Microsoft Support Team on 0844 800 2400. They are available from 8 A.M. to 6 P.M.
    Monday - Friday excluding Bank holidays.
    Joseph: at 8:39:47
    Is there anything else I can assist you with?
    Rob: at 8:40:09
    Umm yeah, there is a warning on that page that says windows must already be installed
    Joseph: at 8:40:39
    I am sorry to inform you that, as a Customer Service Representative, I have limited resources and tools.
    Hence, I request you to contact the above support team to assist you further on this concern.
    Joseph: at 8:40:39
    I hope this will be resolved soon. Thank you for using Microsoft Customer Service Chat. Please feel free
    to come back again. We are available 7 days a week, 24 hours a day. Have a great day
    info: at 8:40:40
    Chat session has been terminated by the agent.
    system: at 8:40:41
    You are not currently in a chat session.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2014-02-05 at 08:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't -think- it's an upgrade. Or rather, its universal and does whatever you want. You can 'upgrade' with a clean format and install.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't -think- it's an upgrade. Or rather, its universal and does whatever you want. You can 'upgrade' with a clean format and install.
    The first time I installed my 8 upgrade I did the non destructive install and everything went fine and after that I have done a clean install and have never had any activation issues. I have even installed 8.1 clean with no activation issues other then needing a generic install key since 8.0 keys can't be used to install 8.1. (8.0 key works again post install)

Deleted
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...oduct-key-only

The apps there should download the iso and then burn it yourself to disc.

Even tho it says to use the Win 8 app for Win 8 keys, try the 8.1 app 1st as it should go straight to the 8.1 iso.
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2014-02-05 at 12:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well after 2 hours talking to microsoft https://answerdesk.support.microsoft...tkey=awasahome

I managed to glean that if you got Windows 8 (not 8.1) from dreamspark (and I assume from buying it retail too), then you have a windows 8 only product key. and you cannot create a 8.1 install media without paying for a new key.
    You can however freely create a windows 8 ONLY install media and upgrade it through the store or tech support at any time.

apparently this "Because not all people likes to have a Windows 8.1 "

See source conversation below if you really want to go through the entire loop but the long and short is, Microsoft don't care about, they only care about making money from selling you something you already bought.
    Code:
    Answer Desk online chat
    Photo of Answer Tech
    Lemuel D
    I prefer the phone. Ask Lemuel D to call me.
    Lemuel D, 22:49:55, Thank you for understand and your time.
    Lemuel D, 22:49:55, Thank you for understand and your time.
    Hi, thanks for visiting Answer Desk. I'm 'Lemuel D'.
    You: 
    21:47:31 	
    Hello
    Lemuel D: 
    21:47:36 	
    Thank you for contacting Microsoft Answer Desk. How can I can help you?
    HHi Robert. How are you today?
    You: 
    21:47:57 	
    I am trying to make a Windows 8.1 with Media center iso so that I can re-install my machine
    I got pointed to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only however after downloading the tool it will not accept either of my product keys
    Lemuel D: 
    21:49:01 	
    Oh I see. I'm sorry to hear that. I'll definitely assist you today. By the way, in case our chat get disconnected, may I have your email address and phone number please?
    You: 
    21:49:14 	
    my@email.com
    number
    Lemuel D: 
    21:49:43 	
    Thanks. 
    You were unable to install Windows 8.1 with Media Center using your product key right?
    You: 
    21:50:25 	
    I have it installed currently
    but I wanted to make a bootable iso/disk
    so that I can do a clean install
    Lemuel D: 
    21:52:23 	
    Oh I see. That would not be a problem. We can create a bootable iso of Windows 8.1 and then we add Media Center after.
    May I have the product key of your Windows 8.1 and the Media Center please?
    You: 
    21:53:23 	
    XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    Lemuel D: 
    21:55:15 	
    Thank you for the information. Kindly, give me a moment while I check the product key, and just to set your expectation that Microsoft Answer Desk offers Premium support in providing best solutions to your computer software issues.
    Thanks for waiting.
    We could create a bootable usb of Windows 8 using a product key only.
    However the product key you have provided me is not for clean installation of Windows 8. It can only be used by upgrading Windows only.
    You: 
    22:01:54 	
    The other key I Have is: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    Lemuel D: 
    22:02:13 	
    I see. Thank you for the information.
    One moment please.
    Thanks for waiting.
    Upon checking on the product key, the product key has been activated multiple times.
    We can still create a Windows 8 iso however let me set your expectation that you might be having a problem activating it.
    You: 
    22:09:53 	
    I think on my old laptop, and this PC
    I eneded up swapping out the laptop though becuase I couldnt get a UK keyboard for it
    Lemuel D: 
    22:10:24 	
    I see. Thank you for the information.
    Your product key is also out of warranty. I can create an iso for you of Windows 8 using the product key only however it would be under our Premium services however let me set your expectation Robert that it would be a paid service.
    You: 
    22:11:27 	
    sorry?
    out of warranty?
    Lemuel D: 
    22:12:30 	
    Yes. The 90-day warranty period will start the day it was activated. upon checking on the product key, your copy of Windows has been activated last October 14, 2013. 
    You: 
    22:13:12 	
    So your telling me... if I want to create an install disk to save having to install win8 and then download 8.1 and install it again
    I have to pay....
    to generate an installer for something I already have?
    Lemuel D: 
    22:14:18 	
    Yes. But I can walk you through on how to create an .iso of Windows 8 to later use for installation.
    In this way I can help you without paying us.
    Shall we get started?
    You: 
    22:16:30 	
    is this for 8? or 8.1?
    Lemuel D: 
    22:16:36 	
    Let me also inform you that using our advance tool to assist you in creating an iso of Windows is a paid support.
    For Windows 8 since your product key is a Windows 8 product key.
    You: 
    22:17:12 	
    Ok, well I have the windows 8 only disk
    Lemuel D: 
    22:17:33 	
    Did you mean you have a Windows 8 disk Robert?
    You: 
    22:17:33 	
    I was hoping to merge in the 8.1 to avoid having to download it from the store and install it again
    Lemuel D: 
    22:19:20 	
    I see. However to create an iso of Windows 8.1 we need a Windows 8.1 product key.
    You: 
    22:19:51 	
    I don't remember ever seeing a key for 8.1
    Lemuel D: 
    22:20:02 	
    The only way for us to re install Windows 8.1 is through installing Windows 8 using a bootable usb and then upgrade it using the store.
    You: 
    22:20:09 	
    I just clicked it in in the store and it downloaded and installed
    Lemuel D: 
    22:20:38 	
    Yes. And you wanted to create an iso of Windows 8.1 right to reinstall it later, is that correct?
    You: 
    22:20:55 	
    correct
    so that when I do a clean re-install it all goes on in one go
    Lemuel D: 
    22:22:22 	
    That would not be possible. As I've mentioned earlier that we need to have a Windows 8.1 product key to create a Windows 8.1 bootable usb.
    You: 
    22:22:58 	
    I'm not understanding how I have windows 8.1 but not a corresponding product key...
    Lemuel D: 
    22:24:04 	
    Yes because upgrading Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 doesn't need a product key. Only doing a clean installation of Windows 8.1 where it needs a Windows 8.1 product key.
    You: 
    22:25:59 	
    sorry this is going to be a bit rude... but you are seriously telling me i'm getting penalised becuase i'm an early adopter? and to save having to download 8.1 everytime I do a re-install?
    I'd have to pay for a new key
    Lemuel D: 
    22:27:13 	
    Since you only have a Windows 8 product hey, the thing we could do right now is to create an iso of Windows 8 to later install it to your computer and then upgrade your computer to Windows 8.1
    You: 
    22:27:15 	
    only to get me back to where I am right now
    Lemuel D: 
    22:27:46 	
    If you really want to do a clean installation of Windows 8.1 you need to have a new copy of Windows 8.1.
    I am actually telling you how to reinstall back Windows 8.1  by using your resources available.
    You: 
    22:28:14 	
    I thought you were supposed to be streamlining the process ... not making it worse
    Lemuel D: 
    22:29:08 	
    As much as I would love to however you do not have a Windows 8.1 product key and the only way to create a Windows 8.1 iso and create a bootable usb is to have a Windows 8.1 product key.
    I hope you do understand the process.
    You: 
    22:30:42 	
    I'm sorry, I understand your constraint.... I do not understand the mentality behind making people who bought windows 8 piror to the 8.1 release purchase 8.1 to do a clean install of 8.1, but let them install 8 then do a free upgrade to 8.1....
    just seems a bit backwards....
    Lemuel D: 
    22:31:44 	
    Because a free update of Windows 8.1 is basically for consumers who are using a Windows 8 operating system.
    You: 
    22:32:16 	
    yes, thats fine I understand that
    but then why can such users not then create a disk with 8.1 to save having to download it again
    Lemuel D: 
    22:33:09 	
    There is actually a Windows 8.1 disk.
    You: 
    22:33:29 	
    I don't see any difference between this and for example a service pack, which you have previously always been able to combine with the install to save having to redownload it again
    Lemuel D: 
    22:33:48 	
    Please do not be confused. I am only giving you the options since you only have a Windows 8 product key.
    Because not all people likes to have a Windows 8.1 
    That is actually a way of letting people choose.
    So if you want to create a Windows 8.1 iso for re installation, then you need to purchase a new Windows 8.1 product key.
    Or follow the process that I have provided you.
    I'm sorry for the inconvenience this has caused you however I am only giving you the best option.
    You: 
    22:38:13 	
    I'm sorry, but I can't see why I need to pay for something I already have... just so I can streamline a reinstall process to save bandwidth....
    Lemuel D: 
    22:40:07 	
    The Premium support is to reinstall Windows 8.1 again. That will take advantage of our advance tool and the remote session and do the installation for you while you sit there and relax.
    You: 
    22:40:50 	
    I see, ok well I don't need that thank you. The install is pretty straightforward anyway (something I am pleased to say has improved from previous windows releases)
    Lemuel D: 
    22:41:25 	
    Yes. Thank you for understanding. Anyway, click on the link below to create an iso of Windows 8
    You: 
    22:41:27 	
    all I need is an ISO I can burn to a disk or a bootable usb that contains an installable version of windows 8.1
    Lemuel D: 
    22:42:02 	
    Upgrade Windows with a Product Key
    Then type in the product key and follow the instruction.
    You can also create a bootable usb or disk using that link.
    Is there anything else I can do for you today?
    You: 
    22:42:58 	
    Thanks, but that brings me right back to the reason for this conversation
    Lemuel D: 
    22:43:39 	
    I'm sure that by using the correct product key, you can download Windows 8 and create a bootable usb or disk.
    You: 
    22:43:53 	
    which is the tool does not accept my product key. (apparently becuase as you said above that you classify 8 and 8.1 as different things)
    Lemuel D: 
    22:44:27 	
    Please click on the Windows 8 and not on the Windows 8.1 and I'm sure it will work.
    You: 
    22:44:28 	
    if I didnt want 8.1 then I would choose the win8 only installer
    the point as I said before I want to combine the upgrade with the install media so I dont have to redownload it
    Lemuel D: 
    22:45:08 	
    The reason why it won't work because you only have a Windows 8 product key.
    I totally understand however that is not possible.
    You: 
    22:45:29 	
    and the only reason for that is becuase I got it long before 8.1 was released
    Lemuel D: 
    22:45:54 	
    That's fine since the point here is to re install Windows 8.1.
    Don't worry it will still let you install Windows 8.1
    You: 
    22:46:39 	
    by installing 8 then going to the store and downloading the update all over again? every single time?
    Lemuel D: 
    22:46:51 	
    Once you already reinstall Windows 8, you may contact us back and we will be glad to upgrade your computer to Windows 8.1 for you.
    Yes Robert.
    You: 
    22:47:03 	
    /cry
    Lemuel D: 
    22:47:32 	
    Don't worry because we will upgrade your computer to Windows 8.1 for you with no charge.
    You: 
    22:47:45 	
    no charge from microsoft...
    just a charge from my ISP
    Lemuel D: 
    22:48:41 	
    I hope I was able to inform you today.
    Is there anything else I can do for you?
    You: 
    22:49:27 	
    thats all thanks for your time
    Lemuel D: 
    22:49:47 	
    You're welcome Robert. It's my pleasure.
    Thank you for understand and your time.

Deleted
    Well download the iso from piratebay then and activate it once installed. No point jumping through stupid M$ hoops for no reason or having to go thru 2x full Windows installs.

Mine activated perfect with Win 8 key after getting 8.1 iso from 'yarr site.

Just need to tell white lie to 1st screen in installer.

Have you even tried downloading the 8.1 setup file i listed? Most sites claim the Win 8 key will be able to download 8.1 iso.

I never had that issue as i never bothered with their downloader pish, straight to iso link on 'yarrbay.
    Last edited by mmoc1d03ea7d9d; 2014-02-05 at 11:25 PM.

I downloaded it through the update via the store app. I dragged my computer to class this morning and got it installed and completely updated in under a few minutes. Wished my ISP was like that. :/
    Last edited by Libram; 2014-02-05 at 11:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foil View Post
    Just need to tell white lie to 1st screen in installer.

Have you even tried downloading the 8.1 setup file i listed? Most sites claim the Win 8 key will be able to download 8.1 iso. .
    Yeah, I tried doing it through the 8.1 downloader/installer. Neither of my key's worked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Yeah, I tried doing it through the 8.1 downloader/installer. Neither of my key's worked.
    It works you just have to put your key into the 8.0 downloader first then cancel it and run the 8.1 downloader.

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    It works you just have to put your key into the 8.0 downloader first then cancel it and run the 8.1 downloader.
    Ohhhhh! I'm going to try that, so I'll have a back up ISO.

Edit: Hey that worked, thanks! Much faster than the crappy Windows store app too.

Update for anyone that Googles about and finds this thread:

So after trying that out on my VM so I could snatch up the ISO in case of future need, I came into some problems with the setup tool not accepting my key. The Windows 8.1 setup tool is just that, Windows 8.1. It doesn't accept a Windows 8 key since the two have different keys. To bypass the key requirement right before installation via a USB or CD, I had to create a configuration file in the sources folder of the Windows 8.1 install.
    Enter these into the text document for Windows 8.1 Professional:

[EditionID]
    Professional
    [Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]

And save the file as ei.cgf, no txt extensions because this needs to be a configuration file.

When I ran the installation again, the key requirement was gone. Once Windows 8.1 is installed, go to Windows activation and insert the Windows 8 key, where it will accept and successfully activate it. The Windows 8.1 installer didn't allow this because it can only accept Windows 8.1 keys, not Windows 8.

I do wonder why MS had to make it complicated, making their PC users go through that sorry Store App.
    Last edited by Libram; 2014-02-07 at 11:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    And save the file as ei.cgf, no txt extensions because this needs to be a configuration file.
    I believe its "ei.cfg"

Reference to this page may be required:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../hh824952.aspx

Additionally, I found it much easier to just use one of the following generic keys (you can then later change the key to your regular windows 8 key for activation):
    Windows 8.1
    Core: 334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT
    Professional: XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB
    Enterprise: MNDGV-M6PKV-DV4DR-CYY8X-2YRXH
    FHQNR-XYXYC-8PMHT-TV4PH-DRQ3H

Keys to install (and appropriate for KMS activation):
    gvlkCore = M9Q9P-WNJJT-6PXPY-DWX8H-6XWKK
    gvlkProfessional = GCRJD-8NW9H-F2CDX-CCM8D-9D6T9

The above keys are supposed to be used in conjunction with Volume Licencing agreements, but I see no reason not to use them for a regular install.

For which this page reference may prove useful for other installs:
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../jj612867.aspx
    Last edited by Djinni; 2014-02-16 at 12:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I managed to glean that if you got Windows 8 (not 8.1) from dreamspark (and I assume from buying it retail too), then you have a windows 8 only product key. and you cannot create a 8.1 install media without paying for a new key.
    Yo
    this, i have both 8 and 8.1 full oem isos, you cannot use an 8 key on an 8.1 iso, if you have an 8 key, you have to install 8 and upgrade it, no way around it (i already tried)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    this, i have both 8 and 8.1 full oem isos, you cannot use an 8 key on an 8.1 iso, if you have an 8 key, you have to install 8 and upgrade it, no way around it (i already tried)
    See my last post #17 ;-)
    Last edited by Djinni; 2014-02-16 at 12:09 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    See my last post #17 ;-)
    are you using the created iso from the upgrade or the actual oem isos? because i tried putting my 8 key into the pid.txt of the 8.1 iso and it told me invalid key