Page 1 of 23
... LastLast

Why is it when somebody famous comes out as gay they are labelled a hero??

I never knew being gay means you are a hero.
    But first with jason collins(NBA player) coming out as gay and being called a hero.
    And now Ellen Page coming out and articles calling her "brave" and a "hero"

I would consider all those soldiers fighting in the war heroes.. Not somebody who comes out as being gay.
    Am i missing something? Or is it an act of heroism to be gay these days???

Being gay is just the new "cool" thing to do

Hero is a point of view, in my opinion. My mom is a hero to me. Being single and having to raise a child on her own. That takes strength. Same goes for people who like the same sex. It's a struggle to come out publicly.

I mean think about. These people are famous, and right now it's hard to be gay. There's a lot of hate out there, and now they're going to be bombarded with all that hate. And they know this. It takes a lot of courage to do what they do, and some people consider that courage to be heroic, wishing they could do the same.

There's a fair amount of risk for an athlete to come out, hero is used to acknowledge that and to commend them for being the frontrunners in a time where it's not totally accepted.

For entertainers I dunno, not sure there's the same amount of risk (although there's going to be some risk of losing fans I guess and potentially people boycotting your movies, affecting your career) but I'm not too fussed about it. If people want to commend Ellen Page for coming out, good for them.

Jason Collins was first basketball player to declare he's gay, that takes courage. Being the first is always tough.

Quote Originally Posted by OBXSpitFire View Post
    Hero is a point of view, in my opinion. My mom is a hero to me. Being single and having to raise a child on her own. That takes strength. Same goes for people who like the same sex. It's a struggle to come out publicly.

I mean think about. These people are famous, and right now it's hard to be gay. There's a lot of hate out there, and now they're going to be bombarded with all that hate. And they know this. It takes a lot of courage to do what they do, and some people consider that courage to be heroic, wishing they could do the same.
    people act like this is still 1960's gays are mostly accepted now. Its just some areas that don't accept them.

Hero - a person who is admired for great or brave acts or fine qualities

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hero

When coming out to a society that still restricts rights to the LGBT community it can easily be considered heroic to come out as gay, especially when your have a career as sports player and actors/actresses.

On a side note, why does it bother you what positive labels people give each other?

Here is what I think:

Why do celebrities think it's necessary to publicly declare their sexual orientation? And only when they are gay? Non-gay celebrities and non-celebrities don't. It seems like a cry for attention/publicity.

I don't understand people who feel the need to come out and say that they're gay. Who the hell cares? If you like to take it in the ass then good for you but I don't have to know what you do in your private life.

Oh please, it's not like they do it for acclaim (now i'm sure some probably do just to prove me wrong). Good for those who can shake off the fear of letting it be known who they are in hopes of providing some comfort to those who still bear the fear.

It's non-news for me because I don't care about their orientation, but I hope good comes from it in terms of more naturalized acceptance and more help for those struggling with hiding their identity. If a little grandstanding here and there helps some kids, that's all worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    I don't understand people who feel the need to come out and say that they're gay. Who the hell cares? I
    Lots of kids trying to deal with their feelings towards the same gender.

Christ this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some kids are afraid to come out and might need a role model.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

famous people are famous, they are heroes just for being well known, and yea of course supporters of gay people are gonna celebrate. but honestly what does it matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Twix View Post
    I don't understand people who feel the need to come out and say that they're gay. Who the hell cares? If you like to take it in the ass then good for you but I don't have to know what you do in your private life.
    Freedom of speech?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    well most countries are only just legalising gay marriage and still have large amounts of the population against LGTB rights, i personally don't see it as impressive because i don't see gay people as different to any other because i grew up around a gay family member, so ive never seen it as any different. hopefully soon it won't be a big deal when someone announces their gay, it doesn't need to be.

Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    You are missing the fact that heroism is subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    people act like this is still 1960's gays are mostly accepted now. Its just some areas that don't accept them.
    This is what I like to call "Uninformed Bullshit". Homophobia is real, it is widespread and in some places it is downright fanatical. There is absolutely no reality, none, to your statement. It is either wishful thinking or you simply talking out of your ass.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

I never knew being gay means you are a hero.
    But first with jason collins(NBA player) coming out as gay and being called a hero.
    And now Ellen Page coming out and articles calling her "brave" and a "hero"

I would consider all those soldiers fighting in the war heroes.. Not somebody who comes out as being gay.
    There are plenty of people who think soldiers aren't heroes.

Also, hero by definition absolutely can fit this subject of sexuality when you consider the oppression (be it deliberate or not) against them.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

10+ Year Old Account
    Because coming out subjects you to the massive and ridiculous amount of hate out there.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleid View Post
    Here is what I think:

Why do celebrities think it's necessary to publicly declare their sexual orientation? And only when they are gay? Non-gay celebrities and non-celebrities don't. It seems like a cry for attention/publicity.
    Because heterosexuality is assumed until stated otherwise in our society. Being a positive role model for gay people who might be struggling with their identity is commendable.