10+ Year Old Account

Games like Halo Reach/ODST...?

I play pretty much every type of game imaginable... I own hundreds of games across 360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, and PC... I have subscribed to pretty much every MMO at one point or another... Etc... Etc...

But those two Halo games... They just did it for me... I can't describe it, but I enjoyed those games much more than most others... I am not talking about gameplay, but story and atmosphere...

ODST... You wake up and it is dark... You are alone... It is raining... You have no idea what happened... And this music is playing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWh9l8RSkPk

Just wandering around trying to figure out what happened in that atmosphere... It felt great... I want something else like that.

Reach... I am just looking for another game like this where... You lose and you know you are going to lose. You succeed at many turns, but in the end, you still lose the battle. Almost all the SPARTANS, the entire UNSC fleet less one ship, and the entire planet are destroyed... I can't think of any other game where you lose no matter what... Whether through the introduction of some deus ex machina element or just the good guys turning everything around on there own, the good guys just always win every other game... In Reach though... All of the good guys die... They do everything right and its not enough and in the end they are all dead. And that is ok and the story works wonders. I want another story like that.

Can anyone think of any other games with similar stories and atmosphere? I am also open to other forms of entertainment akin to these two games... Movies, shows, etc., in addition to other games.

Thank you.

The atmosphere of ODST was 11/10. The visuals and music sync so well its crazy and it almost covers up the totally random and not so great story entirely. I can't believe bungie fired and tried to screw the guy that made all of their music. Good thing he won his lawsuit. As for Reach the story was... not so good at least if you ever read the original story and compared it to the game. Seems like you're just into gloomy/depressing settings that focus on visuals/audio that don't necessarily have to have the most in depth story from your description. You'd probably like Shadow of the Colossus(if you can stand the graphics) and Dark Souls 1/2.
    Last edited by Erolian; 2014-12-20 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkey One View Post
    As for Reach the story was... not so good at least if you ever read the original story and compared it to the game.
    Yeah, the story was lacking compared to the book (when is that ever not the case?) but it was still good on its own. It showed us a new perspective on Reach's fall, and imo it did a good job of painting the bleak outlook of the war.
    Some of the missions were hit and miss, but overall it was great.