Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Solomid vs Mobafire, whats the deal?

Alright, so I have a question that I've never yet understood. I have heard people state that solomid is the way to go, and while that is alright, people are allowed to have their own opinion, they usually follow up their opinion in taking a #2 over mobafire.

Why?

I am not here to say that Moba is better. I'm not going to berate people for this, I'm just curious to the assertion, as I have only heard people suggesting Solomid more then Moba, and never heard anyone suggest Moba, or list reasons why Moba is so inferior a choice that people seem to wake up in a cold sweat when they realize people still use moba.

So without being a dick about it, might I ask for any reasonings that might be out there? Should I use Solomid instead? I read the guides to better understand champions and how to play them, and realise that the guides for the most part are just that, and not instruction sheets, but still, I'd rather not be spoonfed lies

Awesome Sig/Avatar by the lovely Rivellana

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    I only use lolking guides and youtube to see the champs in live action.

Haven't looked at a Mobafire guide for a long time but they generally have (or had) a reputation for being poor quality guides. E.g they suggested horrendous build / skill paths and gave little to no insight as to the actual workings of a champ. I believe many guides were made by random bads who were dwelling in B5 and weren't at all optimal.

There was also alot of silly guides ("check out my off tank Ezreal guide guys!!") which clogged up the place and made it difficult to work out which were legitimate.

Solomid was/is popular (along with lolking) because the guides are usually maintained by moderators and are written by good players (alot of the time players in pro teams), and are voted in terms of quality. Of course there are still niche guides but they are more difficult to locate.

Whether Moba is still that way I can't say as I never go there, but thats the reputation it has (for myself and many others).

For myself, I tend to look at both lolking AND solomid guides. Look for common trends / use your brain a bit and you can pick the good ones.
    Last edited by Hateful; 2014-03-10 at 12:05 PM.
    Who knows what secrets hide in the dark?

Ah yes...*I* do...

As above said, the guides on solomid.net are actually filtered by moderators, while mobafire is pretty much a cesspool for every bronze wannabe-pro to spill their bullshit in. It's also easier to find up-to-date ones at solomid, since there's a lot less of approved/featured guides.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxos View Post
    When you play the game of MMOs, you win or you go f2p.

Deleted
    I use solomid and lolpro as you can see who who made the guide.

Deleted
    You're better off not using any and figuring it out for yourself

Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    If only all of us had hundreds of hours to dedicate to every single champion and matchup, giving us the experience to figure all of this out by ourselves. Alas, 'tis a luxury not everyone has.
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

I really can't disagree with this more. As much as I approve of taking the initiative and trying to improve on your own, people not putting any time into researching their desired role/champion is the reason that there are so many players in bronze that have absolutely no idea what the hell they are doing.

Even if you don't follow a guide 100%, they're still a good place to get an idea of what you should be doing. People write them for the purpose of helping others. Not using them is how people end up in bronze 5 running teleport/clarity on Master Yi and building frozen mallet and triforce every game.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

Quote Originally Posted by Simulacrum View Post
    If only all of us had hundreds of hours to dedicate to every single champion and matchup, giving us the experience to figure all of this out by ourselves. Alas, 'tis a luxury not everyone has.
    Wow, way to be unnecessarily snarky.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaseLocked View Post
    As much as I approve of taking the initiative and trying to improve on your own, people not putting any time into researching their desired role/champion is the reason that there are so many players in bronze that have absolutely no idea what the hell they are doing.
    No, those are called idiots, or bad players if you prefer. There are plenty of people who don't read up on anything, but still have the skill to be able to handle their champion well.

Even if you don't follow a guide 100%, they're still a good place to get an idea of what you should be doing. People write them for the purpose of helping others. Not using them is how people end up in bronze 5 running teleport/clarity on Master Yi and building frozen mallet and triforce every game.
    I hope you do realize that a lot of people tend to pick up guides, and handle them like it was the Bible. A lot of people are simply just lazy, and don't want to use their brain to figure out how to play on their own, so they need someone who sounds convincing to tell them what to do.

Even if those who write the guides are actually completely wrong or misinforming, people are gonna listen to others who sound like they know what they're talking about. That's a mistake. People need to play themselves, read up on what stuff does, and figure out why they skill up this or build that item, not because someone tells them to. They're not going to learn anything that way.

Deleted
    You will get a feel for the builds just by seeing other people play

You will get a feel for the builds just by seeing other people play
    So you shouldn't read a guide from someone that plays a lot of the champ, but you should watch someone play the champ?

The logic, it's flawless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xanjori View Post
    So you shouldn't read a guide from someone that plays a lot of the champ, but you should watch someone play the champ?

Thanks mate

It's easier to learn from watching someone play than reading a guide. How is that not logical?

Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    It's easier to learn from watching someone play than reading a guide. How is that not logical?
    How? Unless you are watching someone play that is going to explain their thought making process to you, that is never true. Pretty much every single decent guide has detailed explanations of why you choose option A as opposed to option B.

I can honestly say I have learned more about League from the guides on solomid than I have ever learned from watching someone play without commentary.
    Answer no master, never the slave
    Carry your dreams down into the grave

How is it the logic is the logic but not the logic that the question is?

Wow, way to be unnecessarily snarky.
    A reply like that only really deserves snark.

i like pictures more so than words :P

i only look at skill distribution

e.g i used to max elise w then felt something was wrong so looked up the guide and told me to max q

@OP just look up whatever can help you improve imo
    http://oce.op.gg/summoner/userName=dw+soul+roc in oceanic now Lol

5172-1206-0622 pokemon FC Lets Battle!!

How? Unless you are watching someone play that is going to explain their thought making process to you, that is never true. Pretty much every single decent guide has detailed explanations of why you choose option A as opposed to option B.

I can honestly say I have learned more about League from the guides on solomid than I have ever learned from watching someone play without commentary.
    The thing is, if they don't read up on stuff in-game, they won't be able to read up on guides either, so it doesn't solve the issue.

And I always see a lot of people explain why they do what they do. If not in streams, then at least a lot of people put out videos of it on YouTube, and honestly, showing you what they're talking about is a lot more effective than just reading up on it.

A guide can only tell you so much, because it's a static piece of information. Videos or streams allow for more dynamic information, like in what situations you should rank up other abilities first, or when to get what items.

A reply like that only really deserves snark.
    I guess if you're taking it the wrong way.

I guess if you're taking it the wrong way.
    I guess you're taking my snark the wrong way.

Because that statement is simply not true. People learn different things in different ways. What might be best for one person, isn't necessarily the best for another.

A guide can only tell you so much, because it's a static piece of information. Videos or streams allow for more dynamic information, like in what situations you should rank up other abilities first, or when to get what items.
    I strongly disagree.

A recorded video is just as static as a piece of text, if not more static. A written guide is hundreds of times easier to edit and keep up to date, compared to a video.
    Making a new video for every new tip/trick or changed items/abilities that affects the guide is simply not gonna happen. A written guide can be up to date, nearly instantly when something has to change. Editing an uploaded video to correct mistakes and such is also not gonna happen every time a mistake is found.

Also, a video (or a stream) only goes through a portion of specific matchups, builds, skill orders, etc. Just like a written guide. Sure, a stream might be more enjoyable to watch, but you can go a long time before you get a tip that you need. A written guide is fully dedicated to actually teaching you. It will give you much more information in less time, assuming you can read faster than a 10 year old.
    Let's not forget that many written guides also link to several videos, showing off specific tricks, combos and the like. These videos are also often dedicated to a collection of tricks, which allows you to see them all in action much faster than on a stream.

A stream will often go through very specific decisions, that are often only applicable to that specific game, since they're often (always?) influenced by team comps, other players' item builds, who has the advantage, how big it is and what has given them that advantage.
    Last edited by Riboe; 2014-03-11 at 06:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA YOU'RE FUCKED. (Yes, it's my forums, I'm allowed to do that)