Poll: The System

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Autistic students being treated like animals in schools. Justified?

Don't know how it works outside of the US. Students diagnosed with autism are put into a distinct white room that alienates them from all their peers, which further distances them from normal society and puts them in a good spot to be victimized for bullying. They're always surrounded by specialized adults who follow them everywhere they go, even into regular classrooms where other children can see them. Worst of all is from what I notice, the teachers assisting these students often resort to extreme physical violence (yes), specifically for the ones that are highly perceptive and confused about why they "can't be considered normal." Here's a good example among the few dozens.

Aside from that, there is also a very large concern of the very fragile autistic kids that can't even speak or move without aid being abused by their aids or teachers heavily. There's something going on the news right now of it as I speak. While I can't find a video yet, I think you get where I am coming at with this in particular.

Discuss.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

10+ Year Old Account
    Autism isn't just:

"Oh well he's autistic, there ya go problem solved"

IT IS SO MUCH MORE COMPLEX THAN PEOPLE REALIZE!!

What some Autistic kid has, someone like me who has High Functioning Autism, I will not have it. It's not black and white.

And yes I know it's a Saladrin thread.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

WoW is up, so I can't watch the video because who knows. Aside from the physical abuse, I don't really see a problem with most of what you are saying. Why shouldn't they get special treatment? They are there to learn after all, not feel normal or whatever.

(Ok, the audio is working now...)

Ya, bad teachers are gonna be bad teachers, but if anything this should be about a specific teacher being horrible, not autistic education in general.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bullying someone because they have Autism is incredibly cruel and stupid. Not to mention the ignorance surrounding Autism. People should be educated about them, not hate them. Also Autism=/Down Syndrome
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, autistic children can be a royal pain in the ass in schools. Not just for the teacher, but for the students that actually care about their work.

Had an autistic classmate that I knew since second grade. Dude threatened to cave my skull in with a rock because I pissed him off, he was a very easy target to pick on -- namely by me since I was the worst offender and real dick in school. He actually became a lot more chill came high school and by the time he was in his senior year the guy didn't explode or throw any desks around one time during that year.

So whatever therapy that kid went through it sure as hell worked on him. Became a lot quieter, actually picked up friends, and was pretty knowledgeable.
    Last edited by Conspicuous Cultist; 2014-02-20 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    WoW is up, so I can't watch the video because who knows. Aside from the physical abuse, I don't really see a problem with most of what you are saying. Why shouldn't they get special treatment? They are there to learn after all, not feel normal or whatever.

(Ok, the audio is working now...)

Ya, bad teachers are gonna be bad teachers, but if anything this should be about a specific teacher being horrible, not autistic education in general.
    That guy is pretty standard for a special education aid actually. Which is kind of sad because he's not really "horrible" by the stretch of some others have been. Here is another good one

[

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unf View Post
    It can't be helped, special ED kids deserve their own classes, bullying is bound to happen, so the key factor is education, and harsh punishment.
    Are you saying that they should be punished for no reason? I might me misinterpreting but you said harsh punishment.

Quote Originally Posted by helmaroc View Post
    Are you saying that they should be punished for no reason? I might me misinterpreting but you said harsh punishment.
    Probably referring to the physical abuse that is so commonplace to keep them in check.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Conspicuous Cultist View Post
    Honestly, autistic children can be a royal pain in the ass in schools. Not just for the teacher, but for the students that actually care about their work.
    It's not really always about work. Generally if a student with Autism is in a regular ed class, it's most likely they are *High Functioning* like I am and thus only have some issues that hold them back. Generally the worse don't even touch regular education classes.

I won't lie that some super autistic kids can be a little....hard to deal with but one has to realize they're much worse off then the average kid.

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Bullying someone because they have Autism is incredibly cruel and stupid. Not to mention the ignorance surrounding Autism. People should be educated about them, not hate them. Also Autism=/Down Syndrome
    My old "friends" knew my triggers and what would send me near meltdown and would purposefully do things just to fuck with me. Now I have Asperger's or ASD whichever one you'd pick and I was never put into any type of "special" class.

Deleted
    wait what?that really happens?my brother is authistic and i never heard of that.he went to normal school all his life and every time he had a teacher assigned spicifically to help him through the lessons and after school.
    ps.my brother has autism and ADHD(hyperactivity)
    Last edited by mmocbdf5b86a98; 2014-02-20 at 02:06 AM.

Deleted
    We had a teacher like that in 8th grade. A classmate punched him in the face and then he got fired.
    I suspect something similar will happen to this teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    That guy is pretty standard for a special education aid actually. Which is kind of sad because he's not really "horrible" by the stretch of some others have been. Here is another good one

[
    I am sure there are lots of cherry picked examples. But it is still not a problem with special education, rather it is a problem with specific teachers.

The whole idea and name of a "Special Education" classroom is bully bait since other children will misinterpret "Special" standing more for "Freak" or "not normal."

my younger brother is autistic, and that describes his school experience quite accurately. he was always kept shut in a cramped little materials closet and only came out for lunch, and his educational assistants would even hit him, which we only found out about because it was caught on videotape by his IBI workers, and one time my mother witnessed it herself. i'm sure his treatment is even worse than we know, but he is completely mentally retarded and nonverbal and unable to say a word to tell us what happens to him there. its horrific the way special ed kids are treated in schools.
    "Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't mean the person actually said it." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    The whole idea and name of a "Special Education" classroom is bully bait since other children will misinterpret "Special" standing more for "Freak" or "not normal."
    And whose fault is it that people misinterpret things?

Quote Originally Posted by hellosaltygoodness View Post
    my younger brother is autistic, and that describes his school experience quite accurately. he was always kept shut in a cramped little materials closet and only came out for lunch, and his educational assistants would even hit him, which we only found out about because it was caught on videotape by his IBI workers, and one time my mother witnessed it herself. i'm sure his treatment is even worse than we know, but he is completely mentally retarded and nonverbal and unable to say a word to tell us what happens to him there. its horrific the way special ed kids are treated in schools.
    holy shit thats harsh.

US schools must be awful. Don't you guys have special schools with professionals who are trained to teach and work with autistic children?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    And whose fault is it that people misinterpret things?
    Perception is everything. Not that I agree with him of course. Special Education is much better than * Class for Gifted Individuals* >.>

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    Not a fucking chance is this justified.

Grew up with an autistic brother, and whilst quick to the extremes; He was generally a good guy.

No one deserves physical violence or verbal berating in a school environment, especially so for SE kids.