Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Few things:

- Yes, they're using the Hero Engine - that doesn't mean the game will have a lackluster engine like SWTOR did (they took the unfinished Hero Engine and completely rewrote it.)

- They're from the UK (Thetford, Norfolk) and not some shade chinese backyard vaporware Studio

- there's a subreddit (anyone surprised?) http://www.reddit.com/r/Exileonline/

- It's a MMO in a pre-alpha status ... there is a good chance this project will fail, due to the lack of investors, etc. etc. - a MMO is a huge project that requires a crapload of time and money

Quote Originally Posted by Grantji View Post
    Few things:

- Yes, they're using the Hero Engine - that doesn't mean the game will have a lackluster engine like SWTOR did (they took the unfinished Hero Engine and completely rewrote it.)

- They're from the UK (Thetford, Norfolk) and not some shade chinese backyard vaporware Studio

- there's a subreddit (anyone surprised?) http://www.reddit.com/r/Exileonline/

- It's a MMO in a pre-alpha status ... there is a good chance this project will fail, due to the lack of investors, etc. etc. - a MMO is a huge project that requires a crapload of time and money
    The Reddit is, as far as I know, fanbased.
    Words are words until proof has been added. Chinese or not, I'm not naive enough to believe that all western publishers are legit. That's why I want to see pictures of the team. The whole thing just seems scrambled together for some money grabbing scheme. Not saying it is, but it simply seems to be like that, to me.

Remember that video from a year ago about a Voxel based graphics engine (or whatever) that was supposed to be able to show unlimited detail with only a fraction of the processing power? That looked real, they even allowed an interviewer into their studio and still everyone, including me, doubted the sincerity of that project. Guess what happened? This happened.

Looks really really dated graphically, gameplay footage doesn't say anything at all. Concept art is cool but means nothing if the game looks like it does in the video.

Edit : Reading more, I didn't know this was an advertisement thread from the creators. I'l say this, I can see that it looks like the Hero engine but it doesn't look nearly as good as SWTOR (understandable with their budget). I like SWTOR but I'm not a fan of their engine, it doesn't play as smoothly or as flawlessly as World of Warcraft for example and it doesn't look as good as the Unreal Engine, I do believe TERA is using the Unreal Engine and that game looks and especially plays really well.. Surprises me that more people don't go down that route.

Surprises me that a small independent developer with 16 people would jump into the battlefield that is the MMO genre, it's a savage and unforgiving pit of misery and dispair where you pour your entire existance into a project for years only to have half the internet take a massive turd on your face.
    Last edited by Bigbazz; 2014-02-24 at 12:46 PM.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    The Reddit is, as far as I know, fanbased.
    Words are words until proof has been added. Chinese or not, I'm not naive enough to believe that all western publishers are legit. That's why I want to see pictures of the team. The whole thing just seems scrambled together for some money grabbing scheme. Not saying it is, but it simply seems to be like that, to me.
    could be a shell/letterbox company ... but the domain was registered by Exile Gaming Studio in Thetford, Norfolk ... (godaddy)

Sounds interesting concept-wise but I get the feeling the game will fall short. As an illustrator I'm extremely unimpressed by the concept art.

Deleted
    Looks interesting, I would love a futuristic game as a MMO, and the idea sounds cool, makes me think the players are a sort of underground resistance of such.

I will be watching this to see how it turns out, hope it will turn out ok.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really want there to be more sci-fi MMOs (aside from EVE...and star wars is fantasy in my book)....but I have my doubts this will make it out of alpha.

Hero Engine. I'm scared.

Deleted
    I can give you guys a sneak peak at some WIP models. These are things that are going to be replacing all of this "placeholder" stuff i have been talking about. Just to show you that we are actually making quality stuff, rather than sticking with the basic blockout/whitebox models we made earlier.

Keep in mind these are still all WIP and are in the process of being completed.

- - - Updated - - -

Also from an outside perspective, i like many, blamed the failings of SW:ToR on Hero Engine, but after actually seeing the engine in action, i can safely say that is not the case.
    Last edited by mmoc778ee92988; 2014-02-25 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ignitar View Post
    Hero Engine. I'm scared.
    Why should you be? If you're referring to SWtor then you should know it uses a heavily modified version of an unfinished hero engine.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Why should you be? If you're referring to SWtor then you should know it uses a heavily modified version of an unfinished hero engine.
    Indeed, SWtor was made on an alpha 2007 version of Hero Engine that actually looks nothing like what is currently available today. Plus they basically rewrote the entire thing from the ground up. I never understood why with their budget, they didnt just make their own engine anyway.

Deleted
    Hey guys, the new Dev Journal section is now up on our site. Be sure to check regularly to get a glimpse of the crazed inner workings of the minds of our team.

http://exile-online.com/dev-journal

Deleted
    We have been hard at work behind the scenes, making some great looking art assets. Check them out here. These represent the final or near final vision of what our games art style and quality will look like. We have a lot of stuff being made now, our new nightclub zone is nearing completion and we cant wait to show it to you guys.

http://exile-online.com/index.php/ex...enshot-gallery

Isnt Cyberpunk coming out sometime soon?

If not The Repopulation is coming out this year or next, and it is a sci-fi sandbox mmo.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Froggy View Post
    Isnt Cyberpunk coming out sometime soon?

If not The Repopulation is coming out this year or next, and it is a sci-fi sandbox mmo.
    2077 is similar to Deus Ex in that it is an offline RPG. The Repop is a totally different kettle of fish, its not cyberpunk. As our game is set in the future it will be scifi, but it is mostly inspired by cyberpunk and has more of a dystopian feel to it rather than Repop which is more of a "build the game up from nothing" type.

Deleted
    So we have been working on some great looking interiors. We have finished geo modelling of one of the smaller subway station stops. This is totally untextured at the moment. We will be making several videos of upcoming areas when they are in a completed state.

Check them out here - http://exile-online.com/index.php/fo...-61?p=210#p210

10+ Year Old Account
    Seeing as you have such a small team, I think you should take a look at procedural generation.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Our game areas will contain a mixture of procedural modular generation and bespoke designed areas. Some areas just would not work as procedural.

Many of the core gameplay features seem pretty generic so far. It's standard questing & leveling using a tab-target interface with some skill-shots.

Doesn't sound very inventive on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiyld View Post
    Very Asian looking

Very skeptical I am
    skill system is eve online.
    concept art looks nice.
    In-game video is pre alpha, but if they want people they shouldn't have posted it - looks shitty.
    Ill assume it improves a lot still.

skeptical i am also.

At this stage it barely looks better than anarchy online - and that game as you know is very much dead.
    Last edited by bbr; 2014-05-10 at 06:20 AM.