10+ Year Old Account

Thinking about switching mains... I'm worried though.

Okay, to explain this title:

I have mained a frost DK for the past 4-5 years (Late 2009 I started WoW), and over the course of these years I have worked hard to love my DK. I have so many memories on my DK that I just love so so much, and I have many legendaries on him. (Yes. Him. I understand "he" is a female bloodelf now - but "he" was a Male Troll in WotLK) I loved the character so much and I worked so hard to get him to where he is now.

But - for the past expansion or two, I've thought about switching mains. Maybe to a ranged since I've ALWAYS been up close and personal. Maybe a healer because I've always been kinda good at that. But this isn't my issue. My issue is I don't want my Dk, whom I hold so dear, falling behind and off in this upcoming expansion. I wanted him to be the first w/ a Garrison and the first character I log on every time, but when I switch mains I take it to the point of neglecting my other characters.

I also want to get the legendary in WoD, and I have a feeling it may be a staff or a shield or something. Thing is though, I want to pick a good class that pulls it's weight, no matter the difficulty.

I'm asking for people who have switched mains in the past to just help me understand if it is like leaving a piece of you behind. I love my DK and yes - I know - my DK isn't going to just poof and never be playable again, but I just am worried about him falling behind (as I intend to raid next XPac - since I took a break during MoP)

Thank you all for your advice,
    Shadowbathed

TL;DR: I'm a emotional person who is attached to my character and don't want to leave them behind. Wut do.
    Last edited by Shadowbathed; 2014-03-07 at 05:33 AM. Reason: Forgot something.

I hear what you're saying, I've had many mains since Vanilla, I switch all the time and somewhat neglect previous mains. I went from Vanilla (Rog & Priest) - BC (Shaman & DK) - Wrath (DK & Hunter) - Cata (Shaman) and MOP - (Monk). So as you can see I've switched continuously based on guild needs and versatility but sometimes I hesitate thinking about nerd pts per character and certain legendaries and stuff, but in the end it has been really nice mixing it up year after year. I forgot to mention unique crafting items I have can sometimes suck when trading mains but other than that I don't look back and enjoy raiding on new toons and you will too.

My suggestion though if you're rolling caster then make sure it's hybrid for more options.

At this point I play so many different toons for different raid groups I'm not familiar with the concept of main anymore lol.

But that first switch is always interesting.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    Roll a druid. You can literally fill every role as one. Melee dps, tank, range dps, healer. Shapeshifting for epicness. You might also like shamans. But really you just gotta try em and see what suits you best.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinigon View Post
    BC (Shaman & DK)
    I'm going to just take that as a typo. But I agree with you. It's not big deal switching mains. As of now my original main (hunter) was my fourth to 90, my main from Cata (Priest) was first to 90, main from Wrath (Druid) is still at 85 and now I have a monk and DK both at 90 before my original and have both taken up more of my time than my Priest. Doesn't mean I completely abandon them, in fact all of them have taken a back seat. My DK and Monk have even been sat out for a rogue (currently 88.) All in all, if it really bugs you that bad then don't switch, just have two. It is very possible to do everything with two characters without wasting too much time.

Quote Originally Posted by Trinigon View Post
    BC (Shaman & DK)
    Do you... eh i'm not even going to bother.

Although I've always been an altoholic, there was no worse feeling (within the game, of course) than leaving my shaman, my first max level character, behind in MoP. I still feel weird about it when I open character selection and pick something else. At some point I was considering leaving her at 85 to preserve the gear and the memories, but then I couldn't stop myself from getting all classes to 90. I know it's silly puting this much emotion into something fictional, but I did leave behind a part of who I was in game. I've kept the transmog from when I last actively played her, that soothes me a little bit :P
    Why did I change main then? Shaman just felt wrong to me after the MoP patch, so I quit playing it before I would start hating the character itself.

On the other hand, you don't think about it much when you're just playing. In fact, I've developed some of the same feelings for my priest. Even after just half a year of playing it as main I didn't feel like main swapping again in favor of my raid group's composition (the first swap was my own choice after all), so it's just being human. In other words, you get used to it, you find a new character to put effort into and to remember, and life goes on as always.

And well, like someone else said, just play two characters then.

All I can really tell you is to play what you love to play. Play what you enjoy most, what you have fun with the most. Don't play a class because it's 'the best' don't play it because it's popular, play it because it's fun. Even your reason of wanting to play ranged because you're tired of melee, are you really sure about that? If there's one thing raiding taught me, be it hardcore or casual, or just playing the game on your main it's that you will not enjoy raiding and not enjoy the game if you spend your time playing a class that brings you less enjoyment.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you're in a great raid guild and you suddenly switch mains with a shitty geared alt that needs to be geared up again. I see no issues with switching mains. I'm thinking about switching to my rogue from my enhance shaman in WoD
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by La View Post
    All I can really tell you is to play what you love to play.
    Thats the thing. I love the GAME. Not just classes. I love every little thing about this game. (Except. God damn. Feral Druids. I can NEVER grasp the damn concept of them.)

I just want to raid again. The fun memories of downing a boss and screaming "YEA MOTHERF*CKER! WOOOO FINALLY FUCKING KILLED YOU YOU SON OF A B*TCH!" seems like it'll be a thing again now that we have Mythic.

I think I'll try shaman. Maybe finish leveling mine up currently and play him more to see how it is. Especially since if we get a Staff / Shield I could use them on him;3

Rogue was another choice however. Always kinda wanted to master the lockdown and kill of a rogue, because it seems like if I could play THAT class, I can play almost any DPS class.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbathed View Post
    I also want to get the legendary in WoD, and I have a feeling it may be a staff or a shield or something.
    You should have learned by now not to listen to the whispers. Just look at what happened to Deathwing. After MoP I don't know why would people think that there will be class/role specific legendaries again.

Quote Originally Posted by Steppinrazor View Post
    You should have learned by now not to listen to the whispers. Just look at what happened to Deathwing. After MoP I don't know why would people think that there will be class/role specific legendaries again.
    Aside from Blizzard saying that they still wanted to do legendaries like that in WoD in addition to the all inclusive legendaries?

On topic, I'd suggest staying with your DK. They're hinting at removing a lot of ranged classes' mobility damage spells, which will be an indirect buff to melee (if a nerf to ranged can mean a buff to melee, I suppose). I have a distinct feeling WoD will see a rise in melee topping meters, and I'd definitely put DKs up there (behind rogues, but still).

Or you could just wait for more beta info to make a decision. This expansion sounds like it'll have a lot of interesting changes coming to each class, and who knows? Maybe DK won't feel like home to you anymore. That's how MoP was for me. I've played a mage since Vanilla, but the changes that came to mages this expansion drove me away. Having been keeping my ear to the ground on mage changes for WoD, it sounds like they're reverting a lot of the things I didn't like about MoP Mages, so I may return. If you'd like, I'll sit in fear/excitement with you when they finally give us beta info to see how we like our prospective classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowbathed View Post
    Okay, to explain this title:

I have mained a frost DK for the past 4-5 years (Late 2009 I started WoW), and over the course of these years I have worked hard to love my DK. I have so many memories on my DK that I just love so so much, and I have many legendaries on him. (Yes. Him. I understand "he" is a female bloodelf now - but "he" was a Male Troll in WotLK) I loved the character so much and I worked so hard to get him to where he is now.

But - for the past expansion or two, I've thought about switching mains. Maybe to a ranged since I've ALWAYS been up close and personal. Maybe a healer because I've always been kinda good at that. But this isn't my issue. My issue is I don't want my Dk, whom I hold so dear, falling behind and off in this upcoming expansion. I wanted him to be the first w/ a Garrison and the first character I log on every time, but when I switch mains I take it to the point of neglecting my other characters.

I also want to get the legendary in WoD, and I have a feeling it may be a staff or a shield or something. Thing is though, I want to pick a good class that pulls it's weight, no matter the difficulty.

I'm asking for people who have switched mains in the past to just help me understand if it is like leaving a piece of you behind. I love my DK and yes - I know - my DK isn't going to just poof and never be playable again, but I just am worried about him falling behind (as I intend to raid next XPac - since I took a break during MoP)

Thank you all for your advice,
    Shadowbathed

TL;DR: I'm a emotional person who is attached to my character and don't want to leave them behind. Wut do.
    I don't understand the question, so you want to main 2 characters? Then do it, you need to understand though that if you are switching because DKs are falling behind for the first time since their release that is not a wise decision. But if you like your DK and want to make him your main toon for everything including raiding wouldn't it be more like you want to have a good alt on the side?

Your words say main switch your description says you want a good alt, it will take time out of your day you might even have to raid in 2 different guilds but hey I'm not seeing what you're asking to be honest.

Also blizzard already confirmed that there will be a similar legendary to the MoP style cloaks, they also said there will be a more exclusive legendary and if you are betting on a 3rd staff I'd have to be willing to take your life savings from you. Chances are it won't be limited to 1 class/type but simply be difficult to obtain.
    Last edited by Durantye; 2014-03-07 at 09:27 AM.

When I first started in 2007, my first character was a Night Elf, and after my trial expired, I bought the game and BC and made Lithenis, my blood elf paladin main. Right now, I'm really into the POWER OF THE HORDE feel, so I have an Orc Warrior, too, but I'm pretty sure Lithenis will always be my main. He's even changed hairstyles to look a little older each expansion, and an Azure Hatchling I farmed for really early on, which I plan to replace with an Azure Drake at level 100, when he finally gets his white hair. I totally get where you're coming from; I'd like to have an Orc Warrior as a main, and maybe he'll pass Lithenis for an expansion, but I don't love the idea of watching this character I've had for so long fall behind. I'm gonna say, level both, play what you want to play when you want to play it, and if you feel like your main is neglected, go back a bit.

Yeah... swapping mains is kinda daunting. I've attempted to swap mains from my hunter a few times... everytime I go right back within a month or two. This time for MoP, I actually did make it awhile with my Monk as a new main, but that might also be due to the alt-unfriendliness of 5.0 making it very hard to get anywhere with my hunter (I did try!). But now with WoD going right back to my hunter heh. For reference, my hunter was my Vanilla main.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H3-N9zoI5c Amazing video of 60+ devilsaurs raiding Undercity!

My God, what a horrible creation. People seeing what they want? Thank God they tried to shy away from that. I know it pisses me off when I'm in an heroic raid, yet in the back of my head all I can think is 'some casual player is playing a heroic dungeon and not wiping.' -Vodkarn

Deleted
    I had played my Belf Paladin for YEARS, then mop came and no one wanted Rets anywhere in serious PvP.
    We tried pushing for rating in RBG but never made it far as I was a Ret paladin TC.

I had to powerlevel a DK and force it as my main.
    We did get high rating in the end and even switched server to get more people on board.
    but my Blood Elf Ret paladin? He's still on the old server rotting away.

I know your pain

like this if you cry everytime

Deleted
    I'd switch to Druid, they can do everything and they do it well.

Deleted
    I just have to level my human rogue with every expansion. His several incarnations are on several servers now, sharing the same look, but only one of them feels true. I once race-changed the original guy to dwarf, but it felt so wrong, I paid again to restore him to his former settings. He will just be there like the well respected grandfather to all other alts I have.

Now I am leveling a new dwarf rogue, because every character must carve his own unique path in the world... of Warcraft. Using race or gender change is something I can never approve of.