Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Your pet or your Nephew/Niece?

Ever since becoming an uncle, I've found myself in a bit of a precarious situation in regards to my cat, and when I'm babysitting both my nephews.

While my older nephew has learned to fear my cat, a 10 year old quite large tabby, my younger nephew is the complete opposite, and doesn't see her as a threat at all.
    My cat hates my nephews, she runs off whenever there round, but if my nephews happen to go wandering (and trust me, its a pain keeping both happy the same time, and fighting back the screams and frustrations of them not getting to go wherever they please), and come across her, it usually leads to tears.
    My younger nephew things it fun to use my cat as a drum, while the older one roars at her to make her run away. And once, of course, my cat hissed and flicked her claw at him, not hurting him but making him cry.

Now, I do love my nephews, But my cat hates them, she see's them as little invaders to her territory that want to hurt her, so I'm torn on this. I'd sooner take her side, but I'm forced to keep my overly curious and unaware of danger nephews out of reach of her. I hate having to put her through this every time, but its family, so..

Well, guess to ask what you would do in the same situation.
    #boycottchina

I'd prioritize family over the cat lol. Not sure what to say. Lock your cat in a room?

Cats > Humans. We learned this from would you rather save your pet or a stranger thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Talk to their parents and say if they cant treat an animal nicely, they cant visit their uncle at home anymore? Its important to instill these values early, and considering they're nephiews and not your sons, getting rid of the cat should not be an option just because the kids haven't been trained to treat animals nicely.

Deleted
    Lock your cat up when they visit and warn your family to avoid it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    I'd prioritize family over the cat lol. Not sure what to say. Lock your cat in a room?
    would have to get a padlock, but just feels wrong to do that to her just because I'm having to babysit.
    #boycottchina

My aunt had a cat like that. Teach them to respect the cat and leave her alone. If they don't, do not get mad at the cat if she teaches them a lesson with her claws.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    would have to get a padlock, but just feels wrong to do that to her just because I'm having to babysit.
    Sometimes you do what you have to. Whenever my extended family come over, most of whom are allergic to cats, we have to shut ours up for a few hours in their feeding / litterbox room.

If my nephews or nieces hit/attacked my cat(s) they wouldn't come over anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Illegal immigration is not a crime.
    Oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    What the actual fuck now, internet? Grow a thicker skin and stop being a whiny faggot.

Did you consider telling the kids off? Its their fault not your cat. Treat an animal bad, its going to lash out and they need to learn that's what happens.

They rack dishaprin.

Teach the kids not to hurt animals. If they can't, then they should not be prioritised and get any scratches/bites they receive are their own fault. If their parents get butthurt, tell them to teach the kids instead of hand-holding them.

You can put the cat away, but it's really not fair and if they aren't listening now I bet they'd still go poke and prod the cage.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-02-18 at 12:36 AM.

Deleted
    Teach your kids to behave around your pets. It's your cat, and they're guests in your house. I can tell you that I wouldn't allow some little shit to drum on or roar at my cat, no matter how related they were. Further, kids should learn to respect not only other people but animals themselves. Kids can be exceedingly vicious little critters if you don't teach them not to be mean to pets.

Tell them that they wouldn't like it if someone a lot bigger and stronger came and roared at or beat them, because that's unpleasant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AsifIcarebear3 View Post
    Teach your kids to behave around your pets. It's your cat, and they're guests in your house. I can tell you that I wouldn't allow some little shit to drum on or roar at my cat, no matter how related they were. Further, kids should learn to respect not only other people but animals themselves. Kids can be exceedingly vicious little critters if you don't teach them not to be mean to pets.

Tell them that they wouldn't like it if someone a lot bigger and stronger came and roared at or beat them, because that's unpleasant.
    actually the reason why my older nephew is afraid of her is because she did hiss, growl and swing at him for the last 2 years, so now he won't go near her and cries if she's to close. He's learned at least not to mess with her, by my younger 2 year old nephew hasn't caught on yet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zymn View Post
    Did you consider telling the kids off? Its their fault not your cat. Treat an animal bad, its going to lash out and they need to learn that's what happens.

They rack dishaprin.
    I do, but problem is with a 2 year old, there at the stage where they are mobile, wandering around and doing things, but not old enough to listen to being told off, and will scream and cry if they don't get there way.
    I've picked up my nephew enough times to keep him out of harms say, but he's set on doing things he doesn't know could hurt him.

Is is wrong of me to wish for time to speed up and he reach four the sooner the better?
    #boycottchina

Im guessing youve tried to reason with them, explained shit? Lol

We got two cats, 1 loves attention from every single person(cat and anything els alive lol), she is the neighbourhood darling, all our neighbours love her, our other cat legs it as soon as she sees a unfamiliar face, she dislikes humans, dogs and other cats (me, the gf and our other cat being the exception). We sometimes babysit for my gfs older sister and since our youngest cat is such a social cat they got her to cuddle with. Our other cat is left alone.

I find kids to be fairly reasonable as long as you explain shit to them the right way, at least the kids I know... so I would try to find a way to explain the situation to your nephews so they learn to treat your cat in a suitable way. If that doesnt work I guess you would need to keep them seperated. Have your cat outdoors/in one room.
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2014-02-18 at 12:48 AM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Im guessing youve tried to reason with them, explained shit? Lol
    like say, two year old don't really understand rules, they only understand 'want' and 'must have'.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    I had a rescue dog which wasn't adjusting very well, until I was able to deal with the issue at the root I just had to put him in a locked room while anyone too young to understand not to stroke him overhead was visiting.

Save the cat seriously.

Just have the cat in another area/room out of reach.

I have the same problem.. She can be all cute and want to *hug* (meaning strangle in children body language), but no, not allowed.
    “The worst thing I can be is the same as everybody else. I hate that.”

A few hours locked in a room isnt gonna kill your cat

I do it all the time when i have family over who i know that my pets freak them out and all they do is just nod off its no biggie.

Open dialogue is the best solution. Though not always the easiest... Just explain to the kids' parents that you have reservations about the kids vs cat situation. Let them know that you don't mind watching them, because they ARE family, but the cat lives here and if the kids get scratched, they get scratched. If the parents are not ok with that, then the situation resolves itself.

Move the cat someplace that they can't mess with it or vice versa. If that isn't possible spend time outside of your place when you have them. If you can't or wont do that teach the children and your cat how to act around each other. Some how people and animals have gotten along just fine for thousands of years, I am sure you can work it out.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."