Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    Apparently you didn't read the latest news... Even the so called instances will no longer have a loading screen in the very near future.

WoWinsider. Read up first. And then reply. It is just a further extension to their cross realm play with seamless phasing.

The new world PvP in WoD will be the first that will implement it. The PVE will follow. Some editors on WoW insider called it the most revolutionary technique introduced in WoW ever.
    I didn't see that it sounds great do you have a link?

But that still does not change the fact that WOW (currently) has many loading screens despite you claiming otherwise.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    It became almost Custom to blame everything on GC so when real criticism was warranted often ignored.
    the direction he took the Game in terms of how :-

classes perform PVP
    what those classes spells/abilities should be
    all need a complete review.

The fact they assume the Timeless isle's is going to be enough to keep people playing really is worrying.
    Fair enough if it was so much island that kept revealing itself over months but we are now in a situation people just
    go from Rare kill to next over and over. I don't care how Dedicated a player is there is only so long that will keep people
    once the utter tedium of the last patch finally hits.

Only takes some announcement owing to Technical issues the Garrisons Idea is on hold
    and basically this new patch is just going to be about new models and again an old area from a new perspective
    I really dislike being so Critical but for any MMO they need to update and keep things fresh and considering this isn't a FTP MMO
    they really are stretching it now.

Make dinomancers a playable class.
    /thread.

Players logging in on their proper servers and playing seamlessly in Azeroth in the open world with other players on other servers in real time is nowhere else to be seen.
    Yes. Becouse I will decide which MMO to play basing on whether or not it has loading screens. Which, in case if it has, I will spend staring at for 0.2% of time spent in game. It's like saying that quality of the car is judged by how good door-handles it has. Please, get real.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    Yes. Becouse I will decide which MMO to play basing on whether or not it has loading screens. Which, in case if it has, I will spend staring at for 0.2% of time spent in game. It's like saying that quality of the car is judged by how good door-handles it has. Please, get real.
    Pretty sure he was pointing out a specific point. Stop trying to quote people out of context to get your daily WoW-bashing in.

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    Given that one of your earlier forays into this thread you managed to give incorrect financial data that is easily verifiable why should we trust your anecdotal evidence of games that were never primarily online games or those that do not actually release player numbers or financial data to the public?

Ironically neither Hearthstone or Heroes of the Storm are new games and both will be competing against well established rivals when they are eventually released.
    Hearthstone is already on of the most popular online cardgames. What exactly do you expect to change with the "release"?

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    There isn't a reason to recycle the old content for new players. There is no connection to it. While I agree with increasing the level cap and allowing groups, the old content is meaningless to someone who never experienced it when it was new.
    To people that haven't experienced it, it wouldn't be recycling and therefore it would be new content for all the new players. As a player since Vanilla, I'm not sure how I would feel about it though. I miss a lot of the old content but it would also probably appear repetitive after a short while.

I quit because they release content too quickly.

I'm sick and tired or devs pushing changes and having to spend hours trying to figure everything out again. I just want to log in and play.

I reached a breaking point back in cata, unsubbed and never came back.

Its like I'm looking at all these new massive changes going into WoD and that is pushing me away even more.

Just STOP releasing xpacs. Stop making changes. Stop Stop Stop!

Maybe a compromise. Just carve out a section of the game that goes into FINAL release status with no more changes. I could play that.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2014-03-09 at 07:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I quit because they release content too quickly.

I'm sick and tired or devs pushing changes and having to spend hours trying to figure everything out again. I just want to log in and play.

I reached a breaking point back in cata, unsubbed and never came back.

Its like I'm looking at all these new massive changes going into WoD and that is pushing me away even more.

Just STOP releasing xpacs. Stop making changes. Stop Stop Stop!

Maybe a compromise. Just carve out a section of the game that goes into FINAL release status with no more changes. I could play that.
    This is certainly a valid point. Many players stay with a game because of its comfort zone. Playing a Holy Paladin and returning to well known places and challenges is why players stay with a main character for many months/years.

Pushing changes constantly, some even way too much, is not everyone's cup of tea. To me my first breaking point in WoW after many years was that insane mana frustration at the start of Cataclysm, making healing in casual groups frustrating.

And I already mentioned. Returning after 2 years to play that old class is like adapting to a complete new handling again, resulting even in my Rogue dying in the latest expansion "easy" leveling quests while 3 years ago I reached 1800 in Arena play with him.

-----

The problem is that if you play a game for 5 years 24/7 at 3 hours a day everything feels easy, so those players want new challenges and changes. So it is impossible to please everyone.

-----

So to answer the OP: I think the free lvl 90's offered at the start of WoD is putting everyone back at a new starting point and that's a GREAT way to start again in a new expansion. No more wading through 90 levels of what really is old content for returning players.

In the meantime, I tend to focus on what Blizzard introduces on NEW technology in WoW, like the connected realm play and seamless regrouping of players regardless of their servers. Because that technology evolves constantly without players not even aware of its awesome new power in future MMO technology AND possibilities.

And no, that inter realm play of both open world and seamless instances without loading screens is FAR more important than the door handle of a car like someone mentioned. That technology opens the door to a new world of MMORP play where communities will no longer be restricted to single server play and Azeroth will always be populated in both economy and PVP/PVE.

----

Which in the long run will assure the staying power of Blizzard's MMO's. The MMO's themselves though are less represented in today's on line play. Faster 10 minute gaming sessions, e-sports, shooters have conquered time played on MMO's.

The next generation of successful on line play will use a combination of all the above. Both in technology as in playing sessions, but not with traditional games like ESO. I think the next big hit will be more in the line of Destiny.

But one thing is sure: Blizzard has both the latest server technology and backbone structure to face the challenges ahead.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-03-09 at 08:47 AM.

The fact you even compare a limited pre loading FPS with an open ended world like WoW with background loading already proved my point. Useless to discuss this further really.

There is another useless thread in these pages about WoW not having an obsolete engine and it always leads to the same useless remarks with one liners blurring everything.

tldr: Azeroth is populated these days with seamless open world play regardless of server restrictions, which is all that matters.

As for ESO you are pushing ...on Twitch right now it is viewed by ... 400 people. For a new game, the graphics are sub par, the game play is stuttering, the fast reponsive game play is simply not there.

Everyone can see this: just go to Twitch and scroll way down till you find the beta play. HS - another beta- has 12.000 viewers at the moment ...

There is no secret in ESO, everyone can view the disastruous game play on Twitch right now.

You have to be blind in not viewing the superior fast/responsive game play of WoW against ESO. Simple: just compare it all on Twitch and see it all. No wonder it doesn't generate massive hype

Thx to Twitch we are far better informed these days btw. It avoids the usual trap of false forum hype.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-03-09 at 09:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    As for ESO you are pushing ...on Twitch right now it is viewed by ... 400 people. For a new game, the graphics are sub par, the game play is stuttering, the fast reponsive game play is simply not there.
    this was a major dissapointment to me. When you think this is a game coming out, the level of graphics and the AWFUL polish; i think they should honestly scrap it and start again.

I know a new MMO can't be as polished as world of warcraft but come on. ESO graphics are disgusting.
    Hi

Deleted
    LOL, remember ... is supposed to be the most popular on line PC game ever. Well after several years of hiding their revenue (they are not a stock rated company, so they don't even need to give that info ...).

Well after YEARS of waiting for their revenue and now we see that LoL with their incredible 70+ million accounts and ... 40 million active players made ... 625 million dollars NON GaaP revenue in 2013...
    Source for revenue please.

Not a source:
    - Estimate
    - Article citing the estimate

10+ Year Old Account
    More advertising.

No, seriously. Haven't seen a single WoW add since the beginning of MoP. I'm sure we'll get some for WoD, but it doesn't hurt to keep the adds rolling.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    I don't think it is possible tbh.

The thing is there is no new blood.

Why would any new player ever pay a sub for a 10 year old game?

There are so many B2P or F2P or newer games.

The best part of WoW (for me so I know this is opinion) is the raiding, it is still industry leading but it takes so long to get there.

I was speaking to my cousin the other day he has played WoW on and off for years, and he did not even know raiding existed....

TLDR: People have always come and gone not everyone returns, there are no new WoW players.
    Last edited by mmoc3dde1cb131; 2014-03-09 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscience View Post
    Source for revenue please.

Not a source:
    - Estimate
    - Article citing the estimate
    "League of Legends developer Riot Games has revealed that its MOBA generated $624 million in revenue through 2013."

Link: http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/20/leag...rated-in-2013/

With 624 million dollars it stays around 45% under the WOW revenue from 2013 (over 900 million dollars non gaap in the latest ATVI report).

The latest PR from Riot games mentions 70 million LOL acounts with "27 million esport players every day".

So far the stats.

tldr: WOW is not going free to play anytime soon unless they think to regain 40 million (sic) daily players...: Impossible.

Why should they even: every MMORPG that went free to play is almost killing itself in revenue with under 500K players.

Now factor in the fact that MMORPG's are FAR more costly to produce as a single map DOTA game (or take Blizzard's own new CCG) and you'll realise that an MMORPG going free to play is a last resort to squeeze some pocket money out of its few remaining players.

Blizzard made the wise decision to focus on free to play - EASY made - games with limited content but with very active e-sports (HS/Heroes of the Storm) and focus on WOW while ditching the new (costly) MMO for the moment.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-03-09 at 10:38 AM.

would be cool if 1-60 was free :P

at least when they finish the cash shop .-.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    this was a major dissapointment to me. When you think this is a game coming out, the level of graphics and the AWFUL polish; i think they should honestly scrap it and start again.

I know a new MMO can't be as polished as world of warcraft but come on. ESO graphics are disgusting.
    I think Twitch TV is a new but fantastic tool to evaluate upcoming games and temper the usual forum hype. Everyone can view the games in closed beta and everyone can see for themselves instead of believing forum posts as such.

While the discussion here is HOW can Blizzard recruit extra players for WOW OR stop losing players..., this is a nice side discussion because in earlier times the "next WOW killers" could not be evaluated in real time on such streaming sites like Twitch (in real time even).

As such everyone can see the new features in WOW (or D3 or the interface of other beta games like Hearthstone etc ...) without resorting to typed text or (even worse) still images that hardly are a representation of the "real deal".

If a game (feature) sucks for the masses it will now be seen as early as early beta.

This world wide streaming feature will ... reinforce the established market leaders btw as hype is the main thriving factor for any new release. If the hype doesn't match the game play shown, it kills things before launch even.

If we had these tools 5 or 6 years ago, games like AOC, WAR, etc would not have had the same insane hyped trends. Youtube can be manipulated, but Twitch shows the real time game play. A very important factor for future releases.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2014-03-09 at 10:54 AM.

Not 100% sure, but these are some ideas.

• 1-60 content all free. Remove the restrictions if a friend invites you to play the game (Not sure if this do this already)
    • Make lower content more appealing and exciting. Show off something cool and engage new players at the very early stages.
    • Advertise the game more.
    • Improve "Endgame" Make raiding not the only PvE content to work for a reward (There's challenge modes, but that's all cosmetic) I don't mean to have something rival raiding, but add more flavor than the standard 5man > Raid structure. Making make crafting something worth a damn again like it was in TBC (Frostweave, Spellweave sets etc Blacksmith weapons). Expand more on scenarios since right now they're just a short dungeon it's not exciting or really new.

Just some ideas good or bad I just threw them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Renx View Post
    Not 100% sure, but these are some ideas.

• 1-60 content all free. Remove the restrictions if a friend invites you to play the game (Not sure if this do this already)
    • Make lower content more appealing and exciting. Show off something cool and engage new players at the very early stages.
    • Advertise the game more.
    • Improve "Endgame" Make raiding not the only PvE content to work for a reward (There's challenge modes, but that's all cosmetic) I don't mean to have something rival raiding, but add more flavor than the standard 5man > Raid structure. Making make crafting something worth a damn again like it was in TBC (Frostweave, Spellweave sets etc Blacksmith weapons). Expand more on scenarios since right now they're just a short dungeon it's not exciting or really new.

Just some ideas good or bad I just threw them together.
    A few others added:

- Combine Blizzard franchises to let Blizzard Club members jump from one game to another (already seen by promotion in new launches but it could be far more developped).
    - Make the Warcraft world "hot again" with casual games like Hearthstone or more hardcore pvp games like Heroes of the Storm.
    - Make one game box with all content included several months before the newest expansion releases at 5 dollars per box.
    - The movie will add interest. Exploit it to the fullest.

As a last resort : reset things at level 100 (along with the movie launch) in March 2016.

I think most of the above is already done by Blizzard. They should just push harder the integrated "Club" play of BNet. As an example: get 5 booster packs of HS free with a monthly WOW subscription.

Subscription is there to stay until such time is reached where they can make more money without it. It'll only get to that point at sub 1 million player numbers and the remaining few are eager to hand out fistfuls of cash on ridiculous micro transactions constantly. It isn't happening any time soon.

Maybe if Warlords kills the game...

Those healing changes do sound pretty shitty. And forced 20-mans for any meaningful raiding experience also hurts. I've been thinking it may be time to hang up my hat as well. Hard to let go after so many years and so many adventures, but things just get shittier and shittier around here, and all good things must come to an end eventually.
    I like ponies and I really don't care what you have to say about that.