Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurhetemec View Post
    This whole "nothing positive" deal presumes you treat WoW as a chore, not a game. There's a hell of a lot less gameplay in certain areas (particularly all the L100 areas) if you merely fly between objectives.
    Please tell me about this gameplay I'm missing out on. Running? Avoiding mobs? Can that really be classified as engaging gameplay? "Should I run through those 5 mobs, or take that path slightly to the left and only pull one? Wow, the decision making is real!". Then you could argue that there is a lot of platforming now. First of all, wow is not well suited for that (Since so many other games do it so much better), and second of all, that platforming quickly runs out since you do it once and then it is done.

So again, give me a single example of good gameplay, that is currently in the game, as a result of not being able to fly. One, single, concrete example, taken from inside the game so that I can go check it out and say "Wow, they are right, if I could fly here, I would be missing out". Because as it stands, it boils down to "I need to get from here to there, and there are 3 elites and 5 regular mobs in the way. I won't be getting anything whatsoever from doing it, and frankly I should just not do it really".

Quote Originally Posted by Baconeggcheese View Post
    You spent more time traveling for archeology digs when they had 1/3 of the finds inside them and 1/2 the digs per zone. The only difference is the terrain is now relevant inside the digs.
    I just love how you are saying it as if you did it and measured the results. Your 1/3 and 1/2 numbers are garbage, throw them away.

I invite you to actually try measuring it.

Doing archaeology in MoP is about 2 times faster (1.8 according to *my* measurements) than doing it in WoD in terms of artifacts / fragments per hour. They did 1.5x buff to dig sites because it was slower, however, 1.5x is still off by a factor of 2.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxTheKing View Post
    If I wanted to, I could ask them to focus the game entirely on PvP and ignore all raiding.

But I'm not, because I'm not some super special entitled snowflake out of millions of people. I got what I signed up for when I bought the expansion and I'm happy enough with it without "bending over and taking it".
    This strawman always comes up.

No one is asking to take away ground mounts and running. There is a difference between asking for something you enjoy to be added versus asking for something someone else enjoys to be taken away.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    Done plenty of archeology already this expansion. I think a lot of the whiners haven't even tried it because they seem to be unaware of the fact that they upped the artifact count per dig site to compensate. So in reality they are the one who shouldn't be allowed to say much but yet they go on and on about how horrible archeology is now.

My Menagerie is complete and I do the daily everyday. I've caught plenty of Dreanor specific pets already

I also do plenty of fishing, mat farming, etc. etc.

I can say whatever I like.

- - - Updated - - -

Such an incredibly weak argument that it's borderline embarrassing and I'm not going to entertain it anymore.
    I did the ones in frostfire ridge. Then I realised that the rest of the digsites were spread out over the entire continent, and I would have to constantly go from flight path to flight path, and run around for a long time to continue doing it, so I stopped. I don't care that I get more per digsite, since every digsite feels so very far away that I can't be arsed to get there.

I do the daily every day. Can't be arsed to fly to a flight path and then run to the trainers, since I know that with flying I would basically be fighting the trainer by the time I land at the flight master. That much running about just for one pet battle? Nah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    I just love how you are saying it as if you did it and measured the results. Your 1/3 and 1/2 numbers are garbage, throw them away.

I invite you to actually try measuring it.

Doing archaeology in MoP is about 2 times faster (1.8 according to *my* measurements) than doing it in WoD in terms of artifacts / fragments per hour. They did 1.5x buff to dig sites because it was slower, however, 1.5x is still off by a factor of 2.
    And it disregards how shitty it feels to do it. They could triple the current amount and it would still feel like crap. Way too much running + flight pathing about, not a lot of actual digging.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Did not you know that archealogy is all about travelling around the world? Digging is for lowskills.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Degn89 View Post
    So again, give me a single example of good gameplay, that is currently in the game, as a result of not being able to fly. One, single, concrete example, taken from inside the game so that I can go check it out and say "Wow, they are right, if I could fly here, I would be missing out". Because as it stands, it boils down to "I need to get from here to there, and there are 3 elites and 5 regular mobs in the way. I won't be getting anything whatsoever from doing it, and frankly I should just not do it really".
    Finding some of the treasures and rare mobs, that are scattered over the areas. Many of them wold be pretty pointless, if you could just hop on a dragon and fly there.
    I can say, that I had and still have a lot of fun finding some of them...although I know where they are due to HandyNotes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lil View Post
    Haven't bought the xpac so far... I'll wait until flying is possible again.
    It's the same game without flying mounts. You just move at half the speed and can't go up and down. If that's enough to stop you buying the xpac might I suggest you find a different game to play.

10+ Year Old Account
    You are a bit new to pet battles, aren't you? Wild battles are a side activity at best. Try doing pet trainers. That's what matters and that's where the lack of flying hurts.
    Never really cared for it, collecting is one thing... even tho I enjoyed that aspect more before this pet battle -system. But at least what I see from Draenor map, the pet battle masters aren't that awfully far away from flight paths. Considering how they are daily.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Did not you know that archealogy is all about travelling around the world? Digging is for lowskills.
    Well, getting all the pristines (WoD has a bit more than MoP even if we add Mantid ones) is sure going to take some time. Like, you know, 2x time...

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Treasures and rares are pointless right now. With maps, treasure hunting potions and addons. I prefer to hop.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Anzaman View Post
    Never really cared for it, collecting is one thing... even tho I enjoyed that aspect more before this pet battle -system. But at least what I see from Draenor map, the pet battle masters aren't that awfully far away from flight paths. Considering how they are daily.
    Do them for a few days, alright? Instead of theorizing.

Added: And compare to MoP.
    Last edited by rda; 2014-11-27 at 05:04 PM.

Certain people arenot just holding up I will unsub if by the time my sub runs out there will still be no flying. Because there is nothing for me to do in the game.
    You play an MMO to fly around? Interesting. Might I suggest a flight simulator then? You can do all the flying you like there! Not a ground mount in sight!

Quote Originally Posted by Brattak View Post
    Finding some of the treasures and rare mobs, that are scattered over the areas. Many of them wold be pretty pointless, if you could just hop on a dragon and fly there.
    I can say, that I had and still have a lot of fun finding some of them...although I know where they are due to HandyNotes.
    Finding 95% of treasures and rares has nothing to deal with flying. Just nothing. The remaining 5% are jumping things - and, for the umpteenth time, they could simply despawn these treasures if you approach them on a mount, that's just one solution out of many - all easy to do, should I add.

Archaeology, is a horrible horrible thing in Wow I hated it after getting it to max in Cata. I just disliked the entire thing.

Flying or not does not make it fun. My only real reasoning for having flight back is when I am done with current content (raids dungeons quests all completed etc and alts are leveled). It is part convenience, and part immersion. Luckily I still enjoy the game after 10 years and am lucky my GF now plays it and enjoys it. The stables are quite a cool new feature (getting new mounts and linking it to garrisons was a nice touch). I hope flying does come back but I think it needs to come back in the right way. I dont want to pay 5K to an NPC.

I would like a long quest chain linked with the arakoa (being birds) maybe the bird god thing could be a part of it. I would really like something along those lines make it linked to dungeons and going out into the world collecting items etc. Make it engaging to do and the reward at the end is flight. You can then restrict flight to 180% speed or slightly slower so for people who dislike flying can still use a ground mount and flight paths as a viable alternative.

I am certainly not gonna just bend over and take it like a champ while paying for it. It is too adult for me.
    Yep. Because removing the ability to fly is akin to being fucked. A little melodramatic, don't you think?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Brattak View Post
    "Then you could argue that there is a lot of platforming now. First of all, wow is not well suited for that (Since so many other games do it so much better), and second of all, that platforming quickly runs out since you do it once and then it is done."

Yes, the platforming would not work with flying. Does a little bit of platforming warrant the removal of convenience, that makes the open world much more enjoyable to a lot of players? Not really. Especially since the open world is still enjoyable for people when you can fly, it only becomes not enjoyable for some people when flying is removed. It is quite simply a dick move to make, if you ask me.

So any example beyond the platforming would be nice. I've already done all the treasures and most of the rares, and I wouldn't exactly call it entertaining. I honestly wouldn't care if I could fly while doing it, since the vast majority of the treasures and raredrops are completely irrelevant to any player at max level, due to being very low item level rares. The toys and garrison resources are nice, the rest amounts to a bit of gold.

Well, getting all the pristines (WoD has a bit more than MoP even if we add Mantid ones) is sure going to take some time. Like, you know, 2x time...
    You're pro flying with a very obvious axe to grind. Why would anyone believe your timed archeology comparison between MoP and WoD? Especially when its obviously false.

Quote Originally Posted by Ordinator View Post
    You're pro flying with a very obvious axe to grind. Why would anyone believe your timed archeology comparison between MoP and WoD? Especially when its obviously false.
    Go and measure.

I'm sure anything I say has been said already... I don't find the world more immersive while being stuck on the ground. All of my "oh poop, that's beautiful" moments have come from the air, making me wish I could explore more from the air.
    The world does not feel more dangerous, more immersive, more anything... it feels tiny and claustrophobic from the ground. The only reason for no flight that has become apparent through leveling is the silly little console style jumping games and treasure finding. If I wanted to play that type of game, I would.
    I alt-tab out during flight paths or use my hearth/garrison stones. If anything, I spend less time enjoying the world by not being able to fly.

I heard some archaeologists have their own flying transportation and are able to fly themselves to their dig sites and aren't dependent on public flying aka flight points.

"Take the time to sit down and talk with your adversaries. You will learn something, and they will learn something from you. When two enemies are talking, they are not fighting. It's when the talking ceases that the ground becomes fertile for violence. So keep the conversation going."
    ~ Daryl Davis