10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FpicEail View Post
    40.89% is a majority....lol
    I guess he meant that largest group of voters.

No 40.89% > Maybe in future 33.29% > Yes 25.82%.

Excellent attempt at spin. But here is the failure.

221 25.82%
    285 33.29%
    350 40.89%

With those numbers which one is the majority. The one with the most? The one with the least? Oh wait.. I get it.. the one you agree with is. Ok. Nice try. Unless we are arguging language vs slang.. if that is the case you are the big winner. If we are worried about the point of the thread. I win.

You live up to your name.

Quote Originally Posted by evridej View Post
    Out of a mathematical point of view this poll actually reached enough voters to actually use it on the whole playerbase in terms of percentage
    (with an error margin of -+ 3-5% )
    Problem is, it's done on MMO-champion so it can't be representative of the 6.8 million subscribers, most of which don't go to MMO-champion forums. If it was a sample of 800 people in some in-game survey then yes, but as of now we only know what MMO-champion wants (which, quite hilariously, is leaning towards having flying at some point in the expansion, so it's no good for these "no flying ever" nutters).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Yggdrasil View Post
    Emotionally charge people will always try to spin things in their direction and make blind accusations with the hope of other emotionally charge people jumping on the band wagon and they will. Here in a few hours the usual group will be here posting like mad with their opinions, avoiding the data, and trying to drown the truth with just a mass of meh. Which is really the story of these 855 or so pages in this thread. A very few posting individually a TON of times to make it appear as if this overwhelming mass is agreeing with each other. When really it isn't. Then when raw data is presented it has to be wrong. Why you ask? It isn't their opinion.
    Oh you mean like this one?

Excellent attempt at spin. But here is the failure.

221 25.82%
    285 33.29%
    350 40.89%

With those numbers which one is the majority. The one with the most? The one with the least? Oh wait.. I get it.. the one you agree with is. Ok. Nice try. Unless we are arguging language vs slang.. if that is the case you are the big winner. If we are worried about the point of the thread. I win.

You live up to your name.
    What you said is that a "majority of people don't want flying at all" when in reality that poll shows that the majority of people want flying at some point in the expansion. Spin, you say? You are projecting so hard right now you could probably be used for PowerPoint presentations.

Deleted
    Problem is, it's done on MMO-champion so it can't be representative of the 6.8 million subscribers, most of which don't go to MMO-champion forums. If it was a sample of 800 people in some in-game survey then yes, but as of now we only know what MMO-champion wants (which, quite hilariously, is leaning towards having flying at some point in the expansion, so it's no good for these "no flying ever" nutters).
    its based on people playing world of warcraft. Its only wrong if people on this forum didnt play the game at some point and have no idea what they are doing so it makes no sense.

What you said is that a "majority of people don't want flying at all" when in reality that poll shows that the majority of people want flying at some point in the expansion. Spin, you say? You are projecting so hard right now you could probably be used for PowerPoint presentations.
    since when is 33.29% more than 40.89% are you kidding?
    Last edited by mmoc1172de686f; 2014-08-23 at 10:43 AM.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    its 850 out of 6,8 million which is enough yes.
    You know nothing of statistics.
    It's not 850 out of 6.8m it's 850 out of the number of MMO-C users who visited that thread. This is not a random selection from all the WoW subscribers therefore results of that poll cannot represent all 6.8m.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Oh you mean like this one?
    Is saying "40% is not a majority" an emotional argument, now?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    You know nothing of statistics.
    It's not 850 out of 6.8m it's 850 out of the number of MMO-C users who visited that thread. This is not a random selection from all the WoW subscribers therefore results of that poll cannot represent all 6.8m.
    my bad and its the views yes

its still valid with 10000 views

Size... +-3 +-5 +-10
    10,000 1,000 400 100
    Last edited by mmoc1172de686f; 2014-08-23 at 10:53 AM.

its based on people playing world of warcraft. Its only wrong if people on this forum didnt play the game so it makes no sense.
    The people who play this game obviously take it with varying levels of severity. You know, the old hardcore/casual thing. Obviously the people who take the game more seriously are the ones who visit fansites. You would go to the official forums for a better representation, or better yet take an in-game survey.

Funny you mention people on this forum not playing the game, because according to a poll done in 2013 sometime on the front page, 40% of them don't.

since when is 33.29% more than 40.89% are you kidding?
    Are you not able to understand the fact that people who want flying added in 6.1 count as people who want flying at some point in the expansion? If 40% of people voted for the only option that said "no flying at all", that means 60% of people, and thus a majority, voted for the two other options. Both of which are under the category of "flying at some point in the expansion" logically. That makes the "majority don't want flying at all" statement false.

10+ Year Old Account
    my bad and its the views yes

its still valid with 10000 views

Size... +-3 +-5 +-10
    10,000 1,000 400 100
    It will never be valid for representing 6.8m. Because MMO-C is not a random selection. Maximum that it can represent - is all the active members of MMO-C, who still play WoW
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    It will never be valid for representing 6.8m. Because MMO-C is not a random selection. Maximum that it can represent - is all the active members of MMO-C, who still play WoW
    i see no difference if the voters are random selected or not as long as they are playing wow.
    About being active users. Even if half of the voters dont play wow you would still have the margin of 5%.

Deleted
    This is not a random selection from all the WoW subscribers therefore results of that poll cannot represent all 6.8m.
    That's not how it works. The sample can be representative of the population even if it's not a random selection from the whole population. Otherwise practically all psychology research would be invalid (they tend to sample from undergrads). You can get a representative sample through other means. Another thing people often get wrong is the number of samples you need to get a high confidence, it's typically much less than you'd think. People just suck at intuitively thinking about statistics, even statisticians.

Wow the anti flight people trying to spin this in their favor is fucking amazing. I have never seen people flexing their ignorance to such a degree.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...enor-Yes-or-No

Ok lets look at the question Flying-in-Draenor-Yes-or-No

You have two options. 40.84% say no, 59.16 say yes we want flying.

It is pretty fucking simple but I don't expect the anti flight people to understand...

Removal of flight is to benefit the Blizz dev team and to possibly save them development costs in the future. This is not being done to improve the game or benefit the player, the anti flight people can't grasp that so asking them to grasp basic math is like trying to teach your dog physics.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maneo View Post
    Wow the anti flight people trying to spin this in their favor is fucking amazing. I have never seen people flexing their ignorance to such a degree.

It is pretty fucking simple but I don't expect the anti flight people to understand...

Removal of flight is to benefit the Blizz dev team and to possibly save them development costs in the future. This is not being done to improve the game or benefit the player, the anti flight people can't grasp that so asking them to grasp basic math is like trying to teach your dog physics.
    Try to say what you want to say without swearing. Then people might take notice.

Deleted

The poll says 6.X. This means this people know that it could take 6 Months until 6.2, 6.3..., for them to fly which also says they agree they want to experience a world without flying for some time... so you cant put them in the same boat in my eyes
    And it says maybe which counts as undecided?
    Last edited by mmoc1172de686f; 2014-08-23 at 11:44 AM.

Deleted

lolwut? That's 26% for flying, 41% against, 33% undecided. If you want to spin it, it's 74% against flying at the start with 33% undecided about the rest of the xpac.

-Majority don't want flying to return at all.
    The word you were looking for was "plurality".
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Hey everyone, we can't figure out to make cars use different sources of energy than gas, so let's stop using cars and ride horses instead.

10+ Year Old Account
    i see no difference if the voters are random selected or not as long as they are playing wow. .
    If selection is not random - then results are skewed on global level. They can only be applied to the group from which the selection was made. That is MMO-C population.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingbrab View Post
    That's not how it works. The sample can be representative of the population even if it's not a random selection from the whole population.
    No one is disputing the representative ability of the sample. But who is represented. MMO-C poll in which only members of MMO-C can participate represents members of MMO-C only, not all WoW players. It's a smaller group within a larger group. Any results from a small group scaled up to the global level will be skewed. You need random selection from ALL population to get reliable results.

If you sample undergrads then your research results only represent undergrads. I'm pretty sure psychologists who are not frauds know that.