Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Build, help finalizing.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (€199.90 @ Caseking)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H110 94.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€109.90 @ Caseking)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€170.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€124.28 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 Ti 3GB Video Card (€701.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1306.87

These are the parts available on part picker. I'm not in Germany but used the German part picker because the prices are pretty much the same (+- 10-20 euros).

PSU: Corsair Professional Series AX860

SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 128GB

I might get the 1TB Caviar Black instead, and contemplating on if the H100 is worth it (Maybe get an H80/90?) I'm not an overclocking enthusiast so it might be a bit overkill? (That doesn't mean I won't overclock)
    Now, I need some help to decide over RAM and a nice case to wrap it up. Also any criticism on the build and cost trimming where possible would be awesome.
    Games I will potentially play: Everything on MAX settings

Regarding the case, easily cleanable filters and dust tolerance is a must.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you sure you will have such parts even available in your country? If it's not a state secret give us a link for the shop you will be buying from :P

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (€33.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-PRO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (€170.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Storage: Western Digital WD VelociRaptor 1TB 2.5" 10000RPM Internal Hard Drive (€203.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 290X 4GB Video Card (€569.64 @ Amazon Deutschland)
    Total: €1177.82
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-02-05 08:08 CET+0100)

I went with Radeon, obviously. And 212EVO is super nice for the price, I have it myself, but I added another cooler to pull air out (not that the default cooler can't handle blowing air, it's just my personal preference).
    As for HDD, I picked the same what I have, VelociRaptor. I have a huge amount of games and using SSD for steam is just... not worth it. That is if you want improvement over your old system.
    PM me weird stuff :3

So you're indirectly saying that an h100 is overkill :P

Yeah, the parts are available, but page's in Greek and I'm not sure if you can change the language. Here you go: http://www.you.gr/

That said, I'm really torn on the AMD card. The new non-ref cooler versions are available (no chance in hell I'd get a jumbo jet at home :P) but I've had some terrible experience with AMD cards in the past so I'm really torn on this one. On the other hand, 200 euros is a huge difference :P

I'd really step the GPU down and get the i7-4770k if your playing mostly blizzard games. Most games will work just fine with a Nvidia 770 and WoW is more CPU intensive anyways.

Deleted
    IF you don't already have the SAmsung 840 Pro, get the 250GB Samsung 840 EVO instead - larger SSD for only slightly more.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    IF you don't already have the SAmsung 840 Pro, get the 250GB Samsung 840 EVO instead - larger SSD for only slightly more.
    Will consider that, thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marthenil View Post
    So you're indirectly saying that an h100 is overkill :P
    Well, I have no experience with water coolers, but for tripple the price I doubt it will be three times more effective

I read around abit and I found the weak point of water coolers to be the pump. If it fails you will need to buy whole new thing. For air coolers the 'only' part that can break over time is a fan and new one will set you back 10-15$ vs 100$ for AIO.
    Ofcourse it's all just speculations.
    PM me weird stuff :3

So I'm not really sure if I should necro my own thread for updates or create a new one, but here goes.

Sales are pretty much over, prices are pretty much stable currently so I'm ordering on Monday/Tuesday, and only some things need consideration.
    I've decided it'd be best if I went air cooling for the time being as the upgrade is always a possibility.

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    Video Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 780 Ti OC WF3 (3GB, DDR5, 384bit)
    PSU: Corsair Professional Series AX860
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB 2,5" SATA3 Basic

I'm not sure on the Motherboard, and also need suggestions on a CPU cooler and an easy to clean case.

Also, any comments/suggestions regarding already picked parts are welcome, they are not 100% set in stone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't go wrong with either a H75 or H80i cooler... the 110 may have been overkill but the evo is something you tend to go with only on a budget. I personally have the H80i and although I had to do a slight bodge due to how thin my mobo is, the cooler works great! Personnally for storage I'd get a 250gb ssd and then go for a 1tb western digital green or blue 7200 speed hdd... black is usually used as a main drive when theres no option of a SSD.

On PSU perhaps a 650w XFX or Seasonic? Unless you plan on going SLI then the 850w is overkill.
    Friendship is like peeing on yourself, everyone can see it, but only you get to feel the warmth it brings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lapetos View Post
    Can't go wrong with either a H75 or H80i cooler... the 110 may have been overkill but the evo is something you tend to go with only on a budget. I personally have the H80i and although I had to do a slight bodge due to how thin my mobo is, the cooler works great! Personnally for storage I'd get a 250gb ssd and then go for a 1tb western digital green or blue 7200 speed hdd... black is usually used as a main drive when theres no option of a SSD.

On PSU perhaps a 650w XFX or Seasonic? Unless you plan on going SLI then the 850w is overkill.
    The thinking behind the PSU is that I am going to SLI at some point in the future.

So the black is "overkill"? Or am I reading that wrong? :P The price difference is not too great tbh :P
    I was thinking about that h80 as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    So the black is "overkill"? Or am I reading that wrong? :P The price difference is not too great tbh :P
    I was thinking about that h80 as well.
    It's not really overkill in my opinion considering you are already doing higher end build so you might as well. The black has longer warranty compared to the WD blue drives and they tend to be of better quality because of that. They are also 1800rpm faster then the green drives so you can use them better for games and other programs that take a lot of space and you don't wanna put on that SSD. Go for the black drive.

Other notes:
    -If you are considering doing SLI setup later down the road a reference cooled 780 would be better since it exhausts out from the back.
    -The difference between 780 and 780 ti in price is huge but the extra performance you gain isn't that much. Whatever works the best for you. (and 2x normal 780's in SLI would beat the hell out of single 780 ti)
    -What kind of cases do you like, something more sleek or flashy? A few solid case choices I like personally; Fractal Design R4, Fractal Design Arc Midi, Corsair 500R, Silverstone FT01 and FT04...

Edit: Right, motherboard. Check the extra features from the well known brands (asus,gigabyte,asrock,msi) at your price bracket and choose accordingly. Doesn't matter too much which you pick but you shouldn't really be spending more then 200€ for it. Make sure it has at least x16+x8 pcie lanes when ran in SLI.
    Last edited by Ghâzh; 2014-03-09 at 02:43 PM. Reason: motherboards

If you get the H80i or H100i, you'll also need to go to a hardware store to get rubber washers to put between the backplate and mobo. ASUS, ASRock and another brand I'm not remembering right now have spacing issues with the newer Corsair coolers creating huge performance problems.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    It's not really overkill in my opinion considering you are already doing higher end build so you might as well. The black has longer warranty compared to the WD blue drives and they tend to be of better quality because of that. They are also 1800rpm faster then the green drives so you can use them better for games and other programs that take a lot of space and you don't wanna put on that SSD. Go for the black drive.

Other notes:
    -If you are considering doing SLI setup later down the road a reference cooled 780 would be better since it exhausts out from the back.
    -The difference between 780 and 780 ti in price is huge but the extra performance you gain isn't that much. Whatever works the best for you. (and 2x normal 780's in SLI would beat the hell out of single 780 ti)
    -What kind of cases do you like, something more sleek or flashy? A few solid case choices I like personally; Fractal Design R4, Fractal Design Arc Midi, Corsair 500R, Silverstone FT01 and FT04...

Edit: Right, motherboard. Check the extra features from the well known brands (asus,gigabyte,asrock,msi) at your price bracket and choose accordingly. Doesn't matter too much which you pick but you shouldn't really be spending more then 200€ for it. Make sure it has at least x16+x8 pcie lanes when ran in SLI.
    Regarding MOBOS, i'm considering the Asus Z87-Pro C2.
    Any other suggestion really welcome.

Cases, I haven't really thought much about it, my current one is a CM HAF, I like the look, but it gets really dusty and hard to clean. Ideally, I would love it if every exhaust has easily removable dust filters that can be removed and cleaned without too much of a hassle.

GPU: I'm really on the fence between a non reference 290x and the 780ti.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    If you get the H80i or H100i, you'll also need to go to a hardware store to get rubber washers to put between the backplate and mobo. ASUS, ASRock and another brand I'm not remembering right now have spacing issues with the newer Corsair coolers creating huge performance problems.
    Could you elaborate a bit more on this?

Could you elaborate a bit more on this?
    The screws that fit into the backplate do not thread through enough to create good pressure on the CPU on select motherboards. You can buy tiny rubber washers to place behind the motherboard and backplate to create the needed pressure. It's only an issue with select motherboard brands and the H80i / H100i / H60 V2. The other coolers aren't affected.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

15+ Year Old Account
    Regarding MOBOS, i'm considering the Asus Z87-Pro C2.
    Any other suggestion really welcome.
    That one should work quite well.
    Cases, I haven't really thought much about it, my current one is a CM HAF, I like the look, but it gets really dusty and hard to clean. Ideally, I would love it if every exhaust has easily removable dust filters that can be removed and cleaned without too much of a hassle.
    There's no need to have filters on the exhausts since that's where the air exits your pc, actually quite the opposite, you'll want filters on the intakes to reduce the incoming dust. To further accommodate this you should have more intake fans then exhaust fans to create positive airflow. All the cases I mentioned earlier should be pretty great for avoiding as much dust as possible.
    GPU: I'm really on the fence between a non reference 290x and the 780ti.
    Between those two I'd definitely pick the 780ti although you'll have to pay a premium for it being the fastest card on the market. Then again you'll have to pay more for the 290x as well due to the coin miners deflating the prices. The 780 non-ti version would hit the sweet spot in my opinion but somehow I'm getting the idea that you've already set your mind about this so it feels pointless to try to talk you out of it.

There's no need to have filters on the exhausts since that's where the air exits your pc, actually quite the opposite, you'll want filters on the intakes to reduce the incoming dust. To further accommodate this you should have more intake fans then exhaust fans to create positive airflow. All the cases I mentioned earlier should be pretty great for avoiding as much dust as possible.
    Yeah should've used "holes" instead of "exhausts". Either way you get the point, its getting really dusty, really soon. And the place I live in is rather humid so any dust that stays for more than a week becomes a sticky mud-like crap that cannot be removed unless I scrub with a toothbrush.

Between those two I'd definitely pick the 780ti although you'll have to pay a premium for it being the fastest card on the market. Then again you'll have to pay more for the 290x as well due to the coin miners deflating the prices. The 780 non-ti version would hit the sweet spot in my opinion but somehow I'm getting the idea that you've already set your mind about this so it feels pointless to try to talk you out of it.
    Eh, its like 170 euros difference, and since I have the money to blow (and I don't intend to upgrade very soon after that) but not enough to grab, say, a second 780 for sli right off the bat...

- - - Updated - - -

It's happening!

CPU Intel Core i5-4670K (1150,3.40GHz,6MB)
    Hard disk 3,5'' Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    GPU Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 780 Ti OC WF3 (3GB, DDR5, 384bit)
    PSU Corsair Professional Series AX860 860W Platinum/Modular
    SSD Samsung 840 EVO Series 250GB 2,5"
    Motherboard Asus Z87-Pro C2
    Cooler Corsair Hydro Series H80i
    RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz Gold
    Case CORSAIR Obsidian 550R
    Total: 1830-ish Euros.

If there is anything I can drop without losing much performance that would be awesome (Apart perhaps from the GPU). Issue is, I'm very close to my budget but also need a monitor.

I might skip the monitor for now though, it's for my parent's home anyways...
    Last edited by Marthenil; 2014-03-09 at 09:18 PM.

Deleted
    If you must go for the AX, why not get the AX860i?

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Availability, mostly.

I have a Corsair 500R Artic White build at the moment. Wish it was bigger personally. And for the price it's kinda meh. I would recommend a 650D instead. Little more pricey, but TOTALLY worth it. Love the size of that case and the capabilities it offers. Though if I remember correctly,

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thekillermg View Post
    I have a Corsair 500R Artic White build at the moment. Wish it was bigger personally. And for the price it's kinda meh. I would recommend a 650D instead. Little more pricey, but TOTALLY worth it. Love the size of that case and the capabilities it offers. Though if I remember correctly,
    So what can't you fit in a 500r, then? I'm myself a big supporter of smaller cases since a good mid tower can fit anything you'd want in it, the build is just going to be a bit more tidier. Unless you are going to water cool with a lot of radiator space or need to use E-ATX and multiple PSU's a full tower is nearly never needed. Even mid towers have wasted space most of the times.
    And the "i" model isn't really worth it, the digital monitoring is largely a gimmick since the PSU functions just fine without user input.