New ele shaman needing overall help

Hey everyone. So i decided to use my instant 90 on my shaman as i've always wanted one at max level, and with work i just don't have the time to level one.

So i've been playing around on the timeless isle using the mail tokens i had saved up on my main, and managed to get some lucky drops and got my ilvl to 496 so i could enter Soo. So far i've done the first bit of it, will do the rest today.

At the moment i just feel so incredibly squishy. If something gets close and attacks me, my health starts falling off in massive chunks and i'm hoping i am missing something obvious here.

So, for my basic 'attack every mob' rotation i'm just doing

(Make sure flame tongue weapon thing is on and the shield)

1) Place searing totem
    2) Flame shock, followed by some lightning bolts
    3) Unleash Elements whenever i can
    4) Hit Lava Burst when it flashes (procs?)
    5) Hit earth shock now and then
    6) If a big/long ish fight i might use Ascendance but i've mainly only used it in raids same as the fire elemental guy.

If theres a few mobs i will spam chain lightning and if they get too close i use Thunderstorm to hit them away, but it has such a long cool down i have to use it sparingly.

So yeah, what am i doing wrong? I'm not trying to be the top DPS around, just enough to get by and do some decent damage and survive! So far i struggle to take on two timeless isle mobs at once and my ilvl is currently sat at 500.

Character name is Shakgra on Draenor EU

I'm sure i'm missing something, so please help! Thanks!

You've got the right basic, but could use some help.

http://www.icy-veins.com/elemental-s...owns-abilities

Reading that will make your rotation make alot more sense

You shouldn't only use Lava Burst when it 'flashes', it is by far the highest DPET (Damage Per Execution Time) spell you have and as such should be used before ANY OTHER spell if FS is up; this includes without Lava Surge procs.

You also mentioned Unleash Elements; unless you are using Unleashed Fury (I'd recommend Elemental Blast at your item level), you shouldn't be using UE.

Easy way (for now) to deal with Earth Shock is just use it when the icon comes up on your screen (it's a lot more complicated than that, but it's better than pressing it randomly).
    Last edited by Anzen; 2014-03-18 at 10:28 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lavaburst on CD, right after Flameshock in priority, even as hard cast.

Look at the stickies (or the posted link by GrinnersGrin).

I would say the Priority should be:

1) Keep Flame Shock up on your target. The more targets that you hit with Flame Shock, the better (Although you have to think about which targets makes most sense, as a minor add which has to get focused might not be a good target), and keep Searing Totem down
    2) Keep Lava Burst on CD, whether it has procced or not
    3) Use Earth Shock when you are at 5-7 stacks of Lightning Shield (Fulmination) !Track this if you have 2set bonus!
    4) Use Lightning Bolt. This is your filler when none of the above is fulfilled

Also, if you use Elemental Blast (Which I recommend, but if you dont like it, then no problem), it will go in as 2) and the rest will be pushed down.

For AoE, replace Lightning Bolt with Chain Lightning at 2-3 targets, and all above that, just spam Chain Lightning.

About Survivability, then yes, Elemental is squishy, but when your gear upgrades, and you get a better shield, you will take somewhat lesser damage. Just prepare to use some Healing Surges and kite the mobs in the start.

EDIT:
    Forgot about Unleash Elements~ I barely use it, mainly I use it when running towards position in the start of the fight, followed by a Flame Shock. Usually i used it while running if I had to run, but after they baked in the glyph for Lightning Bolt a few patches ago, I dont feel this is necesary anymore. Although it can be considered to use it before an Elemental Blast, as it is a 30% damage increase on a spell which can deal good damage

Also, remember to use your professions ^^ Synapse Springs is a great 1min CD to have, especially if you are still farming on Timeless Isle!
    Last edited by Alextros; 2014-03-18 at 10:32 AM.

Deleted
    Elemental blast is NOT above lava surge in the priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairchild View Post
    Elemental blast is NOT above lava surge in the priority list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anzen View Post
    You shouldn't only use Lava Burst when it 'flashes', it is by far the highest DPET (Damage Per Execution Time) spell you have and as such should be used before ANY OTHER spell if FS is up; this includes without Lava Surge procs.
    Just to underline these two statements:

Edit: The difference in DPS between EB and UE is about 1% in favor of EB, so there is absolutely no reason not to take EB right now, seeing it isn't as limited as UE.

Deleted
    +1 to the community for not firing out the "OMFG BOOST TO 90 NOOB".

Seems like you got the basics down. Noxxic / Icy Veins have good basic guides for general rotation. Also videos on YouTube also help out. Preach Gaming has some good info on the class too.

Goodluck with your Shaman!

Sorry for not replying to this since i posted, work took over.

As Literae mentioned, thanks to everyone for not flaming with the 90 boost comments If you got the free boost, you got to use it somewhere, right?!

Loving the shaman at the moment although not made too much process gear wise. Seem to be able to get away with being a bit poor on the dps side if i do LFR on reset day, but anywhere near the end of the week (Today/tomorrow) you stand out pretty badly and people seem to love calling out the low dps people/90 boosters.

Either way, getting there slowly and appreciate all the feedback people have given