Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Flying makes all of the outdoor level design irrelevant. Why even put mobs there if you can mount, fly past them, herb/mine/quest, mount and fly away. There is something to be said about having to fight your way through them or try to avoid them. It makes the game MUCH more interesting. Otherwise every zone ends up feeling the same. Also, yeah it sucks if they kill you or daze you off your mount. Be better, get more gear, or avoid them then.

Flying should be used only to bypass old content when it doesn't matter anymore but you need to get through it. Or *maybe* to make it faster for alts. It still will trivialize the content on alts though so still not sure how I feel about that.

All *current* content should be ground mount only or it honestly doesn't matter how they bother to design it. May as well just put every quest mob and node on a flat circle and just have you aoe them all down and you can turn in every quest at once and hit 100 in a minute.

Also, just because it may take longer to finish the action (quest, farm, mine, etc) it doesn't mean that it will be less efficient overall. If it takes 5x longer to complete a quest, it can give 5x the exp or reward. I remember in Vanilla spending quite some time on a quest and its reward was WAAAAAY worth it. I'd rather have 1/10th the amount of quests that each take 10x more time to do and offer 10x the reward. It makes doing them feel like it was worth it and they can be better designed and much less repetitive.

Also, yes flying would be useful on Timeless Isle. But then none of the mobs or pvp or any events would even matter. You'd just fly to each one, never miss one, and it wouldn't even require effort because everyone could get there instantly and just burn it down and fly to the next.

So, as far as I'm concerned, flying should be restricted to a convenience to hurry through outdated content. It basically ruins all the design effort put into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Moglock View Post
    Flying makes all of the outdoor level design irrelevant.
    You were the first to make me laugh out loud, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Black Pearl View Post
    WoW is primarily a PvE game though.
    Says who? Guys that don't like fighting other people? You do realize that the game is all about fighting the opposite faction, right?

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Says who? Guys that don't like fighting other people? You do realize that the game is all about fighting the opposite faction, right?
    Wonder why there weren't even battlegrounds in the game at launch and the main focus is raiding. Hm, strange.

Deleted
    I'd like to see flying being disabled 100% in WoD. I miss actually exploring stuff on foot (ground) level.

Quote Originally Posted by Intoxicated View Post
    I'd like to see flying being disabled 100% in WoD. I miss actually exploring stuff on foot (ground) level.
    What was stopping you?

Wonder why there weren't even battlegrounds in the game at launch and the main focus is raiding. Hm, strange.
    BG's and world pvp aren't the same thing though, and world pvp has been around since the very start.

BG's and world pvp aren't the same thing though, and world pvp has been around since the very start.
    Cmon dude, besides the fact this isn't relevant to the topic, it's pretty clear that pvp is a side activity to the main selling point of the game.

If pvpers made up a big enough share of the player base, they'd be putting in more pvp content every patch instead of just pooping on balance in favor of PvE numbers.

There's like 1 bg for every 10 raids in the game, it doesn't take a scientist to figure out what the game is for.

WoW is primarily a PvE game though.
    Get the PVP thing out of your head already it's not only PVP. It's far more dangerous and better experience on the ground plan and simple discussion over.

1 Scenario doing the exact same thing. Traveling to a different zone.

No Flying - Your galloping around and run into elite giants, might run into some elite mounted patrols. Gotta fight mobs, might end up dieing. Gotta figure out how to get past something maybe or even ask for help.

Flying - Fly, land...Your done.

Exactly why no flying is best for the game.

Quote Originally Posted by laughtrey View Post
    Cmon dude, besides the fact this isn't relevant to the topic, it's pretty clear that pvp is a side activity to the main selling point of the game.

If pvpers made up a big enough share of the player base, they'd be putting in more pvp content every patch instead of just pooping on balance in favor of PvE numbers.

There's like 1 bg for every 10 raids in the game, it doesn't take a scientist to figure out what the game is for.
    I dunno, I wouldn't assume that to be honest. PvP has always been around in the world though, flying mounts severely neutered it but I've never seen blizz say that they don't want horde and alliance fighting each other, and with no flying mounts until the second tier of raiding, I think it will be interesting times again. Plus like I said, you can just stay in the cities and queue for stuff there still, which I'm assuming some of you guys probably already are doing. This change is really only going to affect people that go out and explore and quest.

And it's not like it's going to be the end of the world, some of you guys may end up enjoying it. Personally I used to love the days when I'd go to STV and you'd know you were always in for a battle at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    What was stopping you?
    The Fact he can. ppl want everything gone because the option not to use it is just to tempting. its the most backwards excuses ive ever seen. started around the time the added removable nerfs to raids in DS.

No flying will be removed alot faster then ppl think. faster even then Cata heroics.

I love no flying. I really do. I know this thread will be necroed with people saying no I don't, and it not fair, but I think it's best for the game. I don't think they will take flying away for a whole expansion.

Herald of the Titans Chain Chungus's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They could just tweak both flying and flight paths to make it so you can fly any direction (like mounts, unlike fp) but require you to land on designated runways (like fp, unlike mounts). You wouldn't be shackled to the flight path on rails, but you also couldn't just land or takeoff anywhere. Once you land, you use a ground mount to get to locations between the runways.

That's how they should have done it to begin with.

Many people are missing the point Blizzard said they want Draenor to be brutal, harsh and full of Giants/Elites. Defeats the whole purpose of what their wanting to do if your able to fly. What would you think if they added flying mounts to Dark Souls? Would completely ruin the game. Exactly what's happened with WoW one's ability to avoid combat, death and situations is so high you can play an entire year without doing it. You simply fly where ever you want to go. I hope flying is gone for good.

Bring on the death, fighting elites, asking for help to down things, avoiding patrols, ganking a enemy in the back, being down their in the harsh environment. Keep up the good work Blizzard, your going in the right direction. This game got to soft. Am glad your fixing it.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkArchon View Post
    Many people are missing the point Blizzard said they want Draenor to be brutal, harsh and full of Giants/Elites. Defeats the whole purpose of what their wanting to do if your able to fly. What would you think if they added flying mounts to Dark Souls? Would completely ruin the game. Exactly what's happened with WoW one's ability to avoid combat, death and situations is so high you can play an entire year without doing it. You simply fly where ever you want to go. I hope flying is gone for good.

Bring on the death, fighting elites, asking for help to down things, avoiding patrols, ganking a enemy in the back, being down their in the harsh environment. Keep up the good work Blizzard, your going in the right direction. This game got to soft. Am glad your fixing it.
    So much of this. Seriously, I don't get why some are mad, you can still stay in the city and queue up for stuff there from safety if you are really that worried lol.

For those that played during BC, remember the first time you got killed by a Fel Reaver in Hellfire Penninsula? How interesting would it be if u just mount up and fly past somethign like that instead? The game is trying to bring challenge back into the world, nothing even drastic really, but stuff that will actually keep you awake.

So much of this. Seriously, I don't get why some are mad, you can still stay in the city and queue up for stuff there from safety if you are really that worried lol.

For those that played during BC, remember the first time you got killed by a Fel Reaver in Hellfire Penninsula? How interesting would it be if u just mount up and fly past somethign like that instead? The game is trying to bring challenge back into the world, nothing even drastic really, but stuff that will actually keep you awake.
    Yep exactly. Once your able to fly the game turns into a snooze feast.

I hate using this term, but the people against no-flying are mostly just a vocal minority. Whenever I see it mentioned in game I see nothing but people in support of it. Same with the forums, obviously a lot of people understand why it is being done and the benefits involved. It is only a handful of people that come in and cry about it taking longer to get places or not being able to use their mount or this or that.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon138 View Post
    I hate using this term, but the people against no-flying are mostly just a vocal minority. Whenever I see it mentioned in game I see nothing but people in support of it. Same with the forums, obviously a lot of people understand why it is being done and the benefits involved. It is only a handful of people that come in and cry about it taking longer to get places or not being able to use their mount or this or that.
    Yep exactly my man. I've heard nothing but praises for it in-game too. Just a very loud vocal minority like you said.

10+ Year Old Account
    No flying is a much healthier game. People whine because they're used to the convenience. That doesn't make it better. I hope flying stays gone in new areas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRickyB View Post
    The Fact he can. ppl want everything gone because the option not to use it is just to tempting. its the most backwards excuses ive ever seen. started around the time the added removable nerfs to raids in DS.

No flying will be removed alot faster then ppl think. faster even then Cata heroics.
    Or... they simply want the complete and total dominance of flying mounts scaled back a bit. They have no drawback at all. They are faster and safer than ground mounts. If they were slower than ground mounts and there was actually a choice involved people wouldn't ask at all for their removal. Flying mounts at 60% speed max would allow you to have your freedom and safety, but you'd take longer to get to where you want to go. Your time is more important to you then safety? Time to hop on that ground mount and face the dangers on the ground.
    Stains on the carpet and stains on the memory
    Songs about happiness murmured in dreams
    When we both of us knew how the end always is...