Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AbalDarkwind View Post
    Are you sure they're not carcinogenic and addictive? Hell, at this point, it'd be easier to list food items that aren't linked to cancer than it would to be list food items that are.
    There are different kinds of dependency, and if we're comparing the potential cancer risk of potato chips to cigarettes, we're not having a discussion based on reality.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    No one is trying to force anyone to do anything. Put away the freedom-boner.
    Unless you live in NYC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    There are different kinds of dependency, and if we're comparing the potential cancer risk of potato chips to cigarettes, we're not having a discussion based on reality.
    Fair enough, it was a poor example. But, what about the meat example? What about sugary drinks like soda being explicitly linked to diabetes?

The one argument you have me on is that smoking is harmful to others. However, I would like to point out that the government has already gone to lengths to restrict smoking in public areas, which I'm for. To be honest, I'm also for suggesting to drugstores like Wal-Greens or CVS (Which this letter does) to not sell tobacco products, but big retailers like Wal-Mart or Kroeger's? That seems extreme.

Education is the answer, in my opinion, and that's for any type of drug.
    Professor of History at Dalaran University

Fair enough, it was a poor example. But, what about the meat example? What about sugary drinks like soda being explicitly linked to diabetes?

The one argument you have me on is that smoking is harmful to others. However, I would like to point out that the government has already gone to lengths to restrict smoking in public areas, which I'm for. To be honest, I'm also for suggesting to drugstores like Wal-Greens or CVS (Which this letter does) to not sell tobacco products, but big retailers like Wal-Mart or Kroeger's? That seems extreme.

Education is the answer, in my opinion, and that's for any type of drug.
    The article you linked is misleading. Are people really eating only animal proteins and dairy as their sole food source? Extreme diets and fad eating isn't rational.

Sugary drinks don't cause diabetes, they contribute to it when consumed irresponsibly. It's a better example because they are addictive (caffeine) but they aren't harmful to your body when consumed in moderation.

Tobacco creates a huge cost to society, and should either be taxed more aggressively to offset it or subject to higher regulation and costs to force manufacturer's to pay more of their share.
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    The article you linked is misleading. Are people really eating only animal proteins and dairy as their sole food source? Extreme diets and fad eating isn't rational.

Sugary drinks don't cause diabetes, they contribute to it when consumed irresponsibly. It's a better example because they are addictive (caffeine) but they aren't harmful to your body when consumed in moderation.

Tobacco creates a huge cost to society, and should either be taxed more aggressively to offset it or subject to higher regulation and costs to force manufacturer's to pay more of their share.
    Secondhand potato chipping dude. It's a danger.

10+ Year Old Account
    You already have to pay for people eating unhealthy foods. Should the government tell retailers to not sell unhealthy foods, as well?
    Unhealthy food is no where near as addictive as smoking. Switching your diet away from unhealthy food is much easier than quitting smoking.

This is not apples to apples.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Secondhand potato chipping dude. It's a danger.
    "You can't eat just one."

10+ Year Old Account
    You already have to pay for people eating unhealthy foods. Should the government tell retailers to not sell unhealthy foods, as well?
    No, it shouldn't tell them, it should ask them.

In the last decade consumers have pushed stores and restaurants to be healthier, be it transfats or pink goo. The big chain stores went along with it. Cigarettes should be the next target for the public shaming and peer pressuring. Push them out of 7-11, of Safeway, of Lucky's, of every big chain store. Let them be the domain of filthy liquor stores and smoke shops.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Deleted
    You can see by the OP's post this is pretty loaded.

A group of 28 U.S. attorneys general has urged Walmart and four other big retailers to stop selling tobacco products, saying they should not be available in stores that provide health care services.
    From the article. Thats what its about. It's about mixed messages. Selling tobacco in a pharmacy.

On the wider top that has been brought up : the information on tobacco is out there. It's not the govenment or anyone elses job to decide for you. Smoking is a healthcare issue much like drinking (and what drugs should be). To decide for other people is morally presumptuous.

Now that we're all pretty much pooled into healthcare together.

I fully support the banning of cigarettes.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Once smoking is eradicated and people are living healthy lives, the governments of the world will totally reduce the levels of taxation.

For the people complaining about their tax dollars/pounds being spent on healthcare for smokers.

bwahahahahahahahahahahaha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    From the article. Thats what its about. It's about mixed messages. Selling tobacco in a pharmacy.
    They recently banned that up here. If your store has a pharmacy, you're not allowed to sell tobacco products.

Though Superstore here is exploiting a loophole. They operate another store, which sells only tobacco products, which just happens to be in the same building as the grocery store, though with its own separate entrance.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Its about fucking time! Cigarettes are scourge on society.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    I approve of this; since I'm far too stupid to decide for myself whether or not I should consume tobacco products, I need the U.S. government to make that decision for me, and retailers should ideally suffer as a result.
    Your attempt at sarcasm came out as truth :/

- - - Updated - - -

Are you sure they're not carcinogenic and addictive? Hell, at this point, it'd be easier to list food items that aren't linked to cancer than it would to be list food items that are.

Just yesterday, I came across this:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/alicegwa...e-cancer-risk/

Should we tell retailers not to sell meat?
    Interestingly, from that article:

"When the team looked at people above the age of 65, people who ate more protein had a reduced risk of death."

But that aside, saying that we should do nothing about smoking because unhealthy food is also bad is a piss poor argument. Why not do something about both?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiev View Post
    Smoking should be prohibited anywhere except for little enclosed arenas designed for smokers. The less people walking around with that foul scent the better.
    Can we also designate areas for smug assholes too?

...those would fill up quickly I'd imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    Excellent if this bears any fruit I'll have a chance to get rich by smuggling cuban cigars then Ill have someone write a book about my death called "The great G." cause it's my last name initial.
    The Great Garbanzo?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    The Great Garbanzo?
    Nah ill leave it as G. cause it's the Smith of Spanish last names but great garbanzo sounds delicious now that I'm hungry. Mmmmm chickpeas.
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2014-03-18 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nah ill leave it as G. cause it's the Smith of Spanish last names.
    There are several Smith-like G last names.

Gonzalez
    Gonzales
    Garcia
    Guzman
    Gusman
    Gutierrez
    Guerrero

Not that it's important. I was just having fun with the Garbanzo.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    There are several Smith-like G last names.

Gonzalez
    Gonzales
    Garcia
    Guzman
    Gusman
    Gutierrez
    Guerrero

Not that it's important. I was just having fun with the Garbanzo.
    the 1st one was right on the mark actually >.> only Garcia comes close.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

10+ Year Old Account
    the 1st one was right on the mark actually >.> only Garcia comes close.
    Depends on the country. I work with a lot of South Americans, and sometimes in South America.

I smoked for 5 years, about half a pack a day. When I couldn't afford it I'd take them from friends/family. Woke up one day and just stopped doing it. Normally I'd use this to say "Moderation is important, don't regulate it but make sure people are responsible" but second hand smoke does mess with other people and potentially harm them. Smoking is bad for you and the people around you. Put a stop to it.