Damage Taken Formulas?

Does anyone know of a reliable resource for damage calculation formulas? I want to try to put together my own spreadsheet for ny Brewmaster to deepen my understanding of the class, but I am having trouble finding a site that has the formulas in one place.

Things I want to know:

- How damage you take is modified by armor, mastery, etc.
    - How your own dodge, parry, and hit-taken are calculated when a boss swings at you.
    - How your Vengeance is calculated as of 5.4.

Herald of the Titans Babylonius's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    Does anyone know of a reliable resource for damage calculation formulas? I want to try to put together my own spreadsheet for ny Brewmaster to deepen my understanding of the class, but I am having trouble finding a site that has the formulas in one place.

Things I want to know:

- How your own dodge, parry, and hit-taken are calculated when a boss swings at you.
    I think I can answer a few things, although people may want to correct or elaborate.

Any physical damage you take is reduced by a % based on armor, that number can be found in your character screen. Shuffle then turns a % of that damage after armor reduction into Stagger, based on Mastery and what buffs you have up (Guard, FB, etc). I am not sure where damage % reducing abilities like Fort Brew fall, but I believe they are taken into account before armor.

EX: 65% physical damage reduction, 45% stagger, 20% reduced damage from Fortifying Brew, 1,000,000 physical damage hit.
    1,000,000 *.8(Fort Brew) = 800,000
    800,000 * .35 (armor) = 280,000
    280,000 * .55 (stagger) = 154,000 direct damage, 126,000 over next 6(?) seconds.

These numbers are off my head as I'm at work and can't look at my character, but just to give you an idea.

When a target swings at you there is a X% chance that you will parry (based on Parry Rating), Y% chance you will dodge (based on Dodge Rating), and Z% chance the attack will miss (5% at same level, 0% at boss level I believe). You take 100 - (Parry% + Dodge% + Miss%) and that gives you your chance to take damage before any armor, mastery, etc is taken into account. First it rolls to see whether the attack lands, then that attack is modified.

Can't help here, not a subject I've looked into much as I'm WW mainspec.

Any of this may be incorrect but its how I believe it worked back when I was a full time tank in Wrath and Cata.
    Creator of WalkingTheWind.com and PeakOfSerenity.com
    Former Monk Mod of MMOChampion | Admin/Moderator of Monk Discord
    Armory | Logs | Guild | Twitch

15+ Year Old Account
    It really hasn't changed much since 5.0. The ONLY change in 5.4 to Vengeance is that you cannot stand in that puddle of ooze or to sit down to gain and get crit for massive amounts of Vengeance. Otherwise any pre-mitigated damage you take from the boss adds to your Vengeance and lasts for 20 seconds.

Second - Boss Pre-mitigated damage - Current Vengeance
    0 - 20,000 - 20,000
    1.5 - 40,000 - 60,000
    3 - 20,000 - 80,000
    4.5 - 20,000 - 100,000
    6 - 40,000 - 140,000
    7.5 - 60,000 - 200,000
    9 - 20,000 - 220,000
    10.5 - 40,000 - 260,000
    12 - 30,000 - 290,000
    13.5 - 20,000 - 310,00
    15 - 50,000 - 360,000
    16.5 - 20,000 - 380,000
    18 - 20,000 - 400,000
    19.5 - 20,000 - 420,000
    21 - 10,000 - 410,000

and then at the 21.5 mark the 40,000 before would fall off but then the 22.5 swing will add to the vengeance and so on.
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2014-04-01 at 07:54 PM.

Babyolius - Thanks for all the info man! Now what about digging in even deeper, and saying that I want the base formula for how much physical damage your armor reduces? I know it's some kind of exponential formula as it spikes early and plateaus as you get more of it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Babyolius - Thanks for all the info man! Now what about digging in even deeper, and saying that I want the base formula for how much physical damage your armor reduces? I know it's some kind of exponential formula as it spikes early and plateaus as you get more of it.
    Are you asking for the Armor reduction calculation?

levelModifier = levelModifier + (4.5 * (levelModifier - 59)) + (20 * (levelModifier - 80)) + (22 * (levelModifier - 85));
    temp = armor / (85 * levelModifier + 400)
    armorReduction = temp / (1 + temp)
    if armorReduction > 0.80 then
    armorReduction = 0.80 -- Undocumented change in 5.4; was .75

or a quick and dirty version:

Math.Min(0.80, (Armor) / (Armor + 4037.5 * AttackerLevel - 317117.5));

15+ Year Old Account
    promdates has a nice spreadsheet somewhere for this as we were talking about it a few months back.

All incoming damage reducers are multiplicative so it really doesn't matter what order you factor them in.
    A typical physical attack from a boss is reduced by 10% from the weakened blows debuff, reduced by 25% from Ox stance, reduced by armor which has a level penalty (i believe 3% less than what you see on character sheet but I'm very capable of being wrong there, so roughly 29% for me), and also reduced by mastery (19% for me buffed in raids, 59% total stagger). With fort brew up this adds another 20% damage reduction and would bring my stagger to 79%.

Using the 1M physical attack from above you will get hit for 1M(.9)(.75)(.71)(.8)(.21)= 80,514 as the initial hit and 1M(.9)(.75)(.71)(.8)(.79)= 302,886 over 10s, for a total of 383,400 damage taken if you don't purify.

Without Fort Brew that attack will deal 196,493+282,758/10s (total of 479,251: Btw, 383,400 is 80% of 479,251). On a side note, the damage reduction plus added stagger with proper PB usage makes Fort. Brew insanely overpowered.

Vengeance is a 1.5% conversion of unmitigated damage to AP. Note that it converts incoming damage to AP as if stagger doesn't exist rather than giving you some vengeance for each stagger tick. I believe there's a cap to vengeance, and I've seen it occur in raids, I just can't remember exactly what it is atm. Something like 50% of your health but I'm probably wrong there.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by allaiva View Post
    Vengeance is a 1.5% conversion of unmitigated damage to AP. Note that it converts incoming damage to AP as if stagger doesn't exist rather than giving you some vengeance for each stagger tick. I believe there's a cap to vengeance, and I've seen it occur in raids, I just can't remember exactly what it is atm. Something like 50% of your health but I'm probably wrong there.
    Forgot about that part yea it was a vengeance change in 5.4. Was 1.8% but is now 1.5% of un-mitigated damage.

Vengeance Cap is 100% of Tank's health. This was hotfixed on January 8, 2013. This was to discourage lvl 80 toons solo tanks killing bosses 5-10 levels over them due to redonkulous amounts of Vengeance.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/792...y_14-1_15_2013
    Last edited by Hinalover; 2014-04-01 at 10:06 PM.

There's also a vengeance quick-ramp built in for basic melee attacks. The chart that Hinalover provided is great for abilities *cough* stupid paragons *cough*, but if the hits were straight melee attacks, the first hit would launch you to around 300k vengeance immediately, the second to around 360k, third to 385k, etc. so instead of approaching the limit linearly, it grows quickly then tapers off - to prevent a tank swap with one guy sitting at 400k vengeance and the offtank building up slowly from 0. I don't think anyone's ever bothered to work out this particular formula though.

You also get half of the current tank's vengeance immediately with a taunt if you had none to start with.

(To be even more pedantic, the first attack would probably put you at 170k vengeance and not 300k like I said earlier, because in Hinalover's example the first attack was weaker than the average blow, but you get the idea.)
    Last edited by kaiadam; 2014-04-01 at 11:29 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaiadam View Post
    There's also a vengeance quick-ramp built in for basic melee attacks. The chart that Hinalover provided is great for abilities *cough* stupid paragons *cough*, but if the hits were straight melee attacks, the first hit would launch you to around 300k vengeance immediately, the second to around 360k, third to 385k, etc. so instead of approaching the limit linearly, it grows quickly then tapers off - to prevent a tank swap with one guy sitting at 400k vengeance and the offtank building up slowly from 0. I don't think anyone's ever bothered to work out this particular formula though.

You also get half of the current tank's vengeance immediately with a taunt if you had none to start with.

(To be even more pedantic, the first attack would probably put you at 170k vengeance and not 300k like I said earlier, because in Hinalover's example the first attack was weaker than the average blow, but you get the idea.)
    I want to say it's somewhat based on dps towards you along with incoming total damage, but I haven't done any real calculated testing. But yea, I believe that was another 5.4 or 5.3 update to this crummy vengeance model. >.>