Page 1 of 3
LastLast

A new golden age of sci fi

Syfy is giving us a big budget space opera The Expanse.

Star Wars is about to return and earn an untold amount of money at the box office.

A new Star Trek show in 2017.

A trailer is about to be released for the next Star Trek movie.

Luc Besson is making a movie based on the Franco-Belgian comic Valerian and Laureline. There is also Guardians of the Galaxy 2.

Knowing Hollywood we are going to flooded with space adventures.

Who here welcomes this golden age?

As someone who is currently into the fifth book, Syfy is going to ruin The Expanse.

It's a good time to be a nerd! YAY!

Would any of these novels make good movies or TV shows?

- - - Updated - - -

7+ Year Old Account
    Mass Effect was a big influence too from what I have heard.

well except the end of number 3

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm..maybe for a year or 2, then we will be back to middle age movies or zombies...
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    I'd love to see a decent attempt at the Neutronium Alchemist. Those who haven't read it - the premise sounds terrible - but the series of books are fantastic once you read them.

Any Iain M Banks would be fantastic but the problem is making sense for views when characters change shape/inhabit drones/machine to machine talk and battles than last milliseconds. Would love to see someone try it though.

I'm also a sucker for Neal Asher's Polity series.

I don't think we are approaching a new golden era of sci fi, no...not now atleast. Look at stargate... they are making comics to the remaining unfinished stories. Which is nice, but... a movie/series would've been so much better. They prefer spending millions on a famous actor, rather than visual effects these days. And you can't have a sci fi without visuals.

They are comic-ing stargate? That is bad sucky news :/

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    As someone who is currently into the fifth book, Syfy is going to ruin The Expanse.
    I can happily say a big fat NOPE to that.

I read the books and I have seen the first episode, its is awesome and keeps to the books, the only thing they had to make an allowance for and they did this as narrowly as possible, is the bodies of belters, you just could not portray their look correctly no matter the budget, but what they have done is great, they are showing how some people have minor defects due to the zero G, miller for example has the upper spine fused incorrectly, they are cosmetic defects, where they can they do use gangly tall people in the parts of belters.

They have the casting done prefectly and Alex even has his southern drawl accent, the show is amazeballs and thats one episode in.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    I can happily say a big fat NOPE to that.

I read the books and I have seen the first episode, its is awesome and keeps to the books, the only thing they had to make an allowance for and they did this as narrowly as possible, is the bodies of belters, you just could not portray their look correctly no matter the budget, but what they have done is great, they are showing how some people have minor defects due to the zero G, miller for example has the upper spine fused incorrectly, they are cosmetic defects, where they can they do use gangly tall people in the parts of belters.

They have the casting done prefectly and Alex even has his southern drawl accent, the show is amazeballs and thats one episode in.
    Agreed! I was surprised at the quality of this show for a channel that gave us sharks in tornadoes.

I think they don't just want another BSG but their equivalent of "Game of Thrones" or "The Walking Dead".

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    A new Star Trek show in 2017.

A trailer is about to be released for the next Star Trek movie.
    Please, do not call Star Trek "SciFi". It has some good shows and movies, but it was always to SF what soap operas are to quality TV.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    Please, do not call Star Trek "SciFi". It has some good shows and movies, but it was always to SF what soap operas are to quality TV.
    That's, like, your opinion man.

Deleted
    well i am not particularly fond of SciFi so i do not know most of the stuff you guys posted here..the only ones i know are star wars (with which i grew up) and to a very small degree star trek...but that is not really important for my opinion on this.
    i think that the studios are going to shove SciFi down our throats until everyone is completely sick of it.just like they are doing with super heroes right now.so i guess maybe the first 1 or 2 years might be fun, but after that it is going to be all about milking any franchise with mediocore adaptations in a far to large quantity until said franchise is dead a.k.a financially no longer viable.
    I know there are enough people that are completely happy with the flood of super hero movies but i am just not one of them and neither am i going to be happy about a flood of that manner of any genre.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't exactly call the arrival of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 or a Besson film the start of a new golden age of sci fi, but I'm glad people are optimistic.

Actual sci fi:

Last edited by hellhamster; 2015-12-08 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanyel View Post
    While you are entitled to your opinion, Star Trek has typically had more science than most shows. Hence the Sci. Hell its even inspired generations of inventors and astronauts who have made fiction into reality.

I think it all gets bunched together because there are those that see massive ship to ship battles and non-stop action as science fiction. I always look at it this way. If they can explain it with science or pseudo-science then its science fiction. If nothing is explained or you're to take it by faith, its science fantasy.

I'd call Star Trek sci fi, a lot of episodes of the series deal with what ifs of new or discovered technology. I'd call that the very essence of sci-fi. Star Wars on the other hand, not so much.
    While you live, shine / Have no grief at all / Life exists only for a short while / And time demands its toll.

Quote Originally Posted by Feredir View Post
    While you are entitled to your opinion, Star Trek has typically had more science than most shows. Hence the Sci. Hell its even inspired generations of inventors and astronauts who have made fiction into reality.

I think it all gets bunched together because there are those that see massive ship to ship battles and nstop action as science fiction. I always look at it this way. If they can explain it with science or pseudo-science then its science fiction. If nothing is explained or you're to take it by faith, its science fantasy.
    That's an opinion I can respect.

I just hate how much credit it gets for several concepts that it didn't even invent.
    But your duty to Azeroth is not yet complete. More is demanded of you... a price the living cannot pay.

i think it's time for something new. i don't really know what, but we've exhausted most franshises by now.

westerns: died a long time ago. pops up once in a while, but doesn't seem to be making a comeback any time soon.
    crime movies: movies like the godfather, and other mafia/gang movies have also been dead for a good amount of time
    zombie movies: started to die out a few years back.
    Vampires: twilight ruined it. not that "it" was every realy great to begin with. turned from horror/action to romance/drama.
    super-heroes: yeah... was great at first. 6 spider man movies, a lot of batman movies, some superman movies, 3 horrible hulk movies, and a lot of others. It's always the same, just in a slightly deffirent package. The thrill is gone.
    spy movies, space/sci-fi movies, alien movies/horrors, it's all been done to death.

maybe i'm just getting old and grumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    snip
    I think the scope of the Peter F Hamilton books is just to damn large for anything short of a Netflix treatment. Mind you his Mindstar novels could/would be a great trilogy of movies at least that is what I think.

What I would love to see is that somebody has the balls (and they need to be very big ones at that) to tackle the Foundation series (and do it right) and after seeing how the people of Amazon handled "The Man in the High Castle" I think it is possible but it would cost a fortune to make I think.
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT