Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

"The Joke is on Women in Blizzard's April Fools Gag" Article

I am referring to this article and the writers thoughts...

http://wow.joystiq.com/2014/04/02/th...ril-fools-gag/

I have to say now with utter sincerity that these woman issue's need to go. Not only can they not appreciate their own genders beauty. They downright have to put it down because they don't have it themselves. Should we be attracted to overly obese woman that are hairy? This is nothing more than an internal issue that's selfish. If I don't have these features nobody is allowed to like them is the attitude. Wow also does an amazing job not over doing it with all the races. Female Dwarf, Worgen, Gnome, Troll, Orc, Undead, Panda, Tauren, and I would even argue humans all have different features not considered overly or stereotypically attractive. I am not advocating to only appreciate a very attractive woman, but damn can we all just drop this stupid issue and enjoy beauty without taking it personally.

What bothers me about that article is that they turned off the comments. They should have removed the article altogether in the first place.

Blizzard isn't overdoing anything. And that shit comment with the women in WoW having problems with their back is so silly it's not even funny. They are fictional characters, they don't have back problems.

PS: I dare even say that women who always comment on that on either real or fictional characters, may be even jealous. I mean c'mon, if you're having back problems do some exercise.
    Last edited by Xilurm; 2014-04-02 at 09:52 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sorry but when I am running around playing the game I am not staring at my characters chest or anyone other characters chest... This article really is poo and seems like a "just because I feel like ranting" blog...

The article is a joke, as is most of WoW Insider's.

I have to wonder what kind of busted ass gears in somebody's head takes a look at a joke obviously mocking the Draenei's "space goat" status and goes "Blizzard hates women."

Its exceptionally funny since Blizzard games have some of the most powerful women characters, who are powerful not because they are "sexy," in all of video game culture. Kerrigan, Jaina Proudmoore, Tyrande, Nova, Sylvanas, ect.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-04-02 at 09:56 PM.

Deleted
    I think it's a fairly over the top response to an April Fools joke and the argument presented in the article is both hypocritical and misinformed. It's hypocritical because the male characters are also held up to an unrealistic standard of beauty (though both male and female characters are conservative compared to other MMO's on the market). I'm a skinny nerd, imagine how I feel seeing all these muscled heroes running around everywhere. Well actually I feel just fine, because I know that's it's unrealistic. Fanservice is fine so long as it's both equal opportunity and so long as the audience is aware of the fact that it's just a fantasy.

And it's misinformed because the article states that female players have no option to role a non-sexualised character. Which isn't true. Tauren, Dwarves, Pandaren, Forsaken, Gnomes, Worgen - none of those are sexualised. And in fact I would go so far as to say that the human female is non-sexualised as well. They're certainly attractive, but that's pretty much an average woman there, albeit one who keeps in shape.

All in all though, it's an april fools joke.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh lord, please don't promote that God awful article here too please.

It's just WoWinsider being co-opted by people who just really want to push their agenda of "I don't care about games, but the fact that video games are a "boys club" really angers me! Stop enjoying something I don't!". It's become the Kotaku of WoW-specific information.

Nothing to see here.

It's just getting to ridiculous levels. It's to downright hate and rebuke attractiveness for what? It's not objectifying woman at all. Obviously its an expression of love and not hate or anything else.

It pisses me off when people will twist anything they can, this was a joke and they turned it into something it wasn't. People need to grow a sense of humor and quit being so damn serious all the time, it was April Fools for gods sake!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Its exceptionally funny since Blizzard games have some of the most powerful women characters, who are powerful not because they are "sexy," in all of video game culture. Kerrigan, Jaina Proudmoore, Tyrande, Nova, Sylvanas, ect.
    My my, what have I just seen...

10+ Year Old Account
    When I saw the April Fool's post, I saw an intentionally quirky, silly Draenei redesign with sarcastic commentary- I really did not expect anyone to perceive it as an attack on women or something.

If SJWs could just keep to tumblr where I don't have to deal with them, I would appreciate it. They can circle-jerk into oblivion, without having to worry about being triggered by me not agreeing with their hypocritical nonsense. Seems like a win-win.

10+ Year Old Account
    Articles like this I find insulting. I thought the April Fools day joke to be rather funny. I have not once been offended by Blizzard, certainly not as a woman. This article on the other hand....it almost makes me feel like I am an idiot for not feeling like Blizzard has crossed lines in the past, and as a female gamer I should be mad. Very patronizing and frankly annoying.

Space goats with hairy bums are hilarious! Lighten up people!

Quote Originally Posted by BiruWW View Post
    It makes me mad how people will twist everything, this was a joke and they turned it into something it wasn't. People need to grow a sense of humor and quit being so damn serious all the time, it was April Fools for gods sake!
    I completely agree. Articles like this and also these "feminist" who are doing nothing but waving a big red flag saying "I have issues" didn't have to come up, but inevitably they always bring out the insecurities.

Quote Originally Posted by Haven View Post
    My my, what have I just seen...
    I hope you can understand the difference between what I believe is behind Sylvanas' popularity and what the lore says about why she's powerful.

Or maybe I'm expecting too much from you, based on your comment here. Its like arguing Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infinite is powerful because people sexualize her, not because the canon is that she becomes an omniscient god. A game or company behind the game can't control what fans of the game do with one of their characters in terms of fanart/cosplay/ect.

But I am flattered at your, admittedly shitty, attempt at finding some hypocrisy in what I've said for a totally unrelated topic.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2014-04-02 at 10:13 PM.

The article is classic example that if you're out there looking to get offended, you can get offended by almost anything.

Anyone who's trolled WoW GD knows the mock female Draenei is a stab at all of the people, who over the years, have been saying that the female Draenei's posture and anatomy are impossible. You may as well cry that Blizzard is being specist by saying that goat anatomy is unattractive. At least that would have boat loads more merit than trying to turn it into a pro-feminist pity party.

10+ Year Old Account
    Male characters have giant, exaggerated impossible muscles and it's fine, but if a female character has medium-large breasts then people freak out. Why are male fantasies okay but not female? There are a lot more women that look like the female characters in WoW IRL than dudes that look like the male characters, but of course all of the female characters are forced to get breast reductions when their breasts weren't even that big to begin with, while all of the male characters keep their gigantic muscles. Either keep the breasts, or get rid of the surreal muscles on the dudes, because this is ridiculous. (And you know if they reduced the size of the dudes' muscles, so many people would complain)

And I'm sick of people thinking beauty = attractiveness. I think big breasted female characters are cool the same way people think big muscled male characters are cool, I'm not even thinking of sex. But people who don't necessarily like feminine/sexy features in an aesthetic way don't understand and automatically think pretty characters are meant to turn dudes on. They're not, people think feminine features such as breasts, makeup, high-heels etc. are cool, male and female, and not in a perverted way! And from what I've seen, most people think small-breasted women are hotter anyways. If these people do away with all of the sexy characters in comics and video games it's going to turn a lot of women off of these things.

But I do think the female draenei joke was stupid, it wasn't very clever and it was pretty lazy. A double chin, body hair and receding hairline? Should've just done a photo-shopped goat or something different like that. I thought it was slightly in bad taste.

Just ignore sites like wowinsider, they aren't a real news site and many of their blogs suffer heavy bias.

For the record, I am 100% behind @Faience on her article this morning. I helped her edit it. And no, I'm not going to "discuss" it.
    https://twitter.com/ilaniel/status/451406509826531328

Try me; get blocked: simple as that.
    https://twitter.com/ilaniel/status/451406590952755201

World 101 - Always a stuck up bitch or guy that takes offense to anything. They take a article and make it into something else. Problem wasn't the April Fools joke, the problem was that persons insecurity and with themselves placing blame on ridiculous things to avoid & distract confronting themselves.

Such a common occurrence in todays world ain't even worth talking about or giving attention too.

Some people just wallow in joy of feeling victimized and only feel complete if they can dramatically complain about some terrible injustice they have to endure. Their days feel wasted if they can't find anything they can feel massively offended by. Assholes by profession.