Is simplefrost still a thing?

Just curious if we can still play DW frost by completely ignoring Obliterate and using only HB/FS and spending UH runes on DnD/Defile and plague strike. I'd imagine with how many cleave fights there are it would work pretty well. And if so, roughly how much mastery should you aim for?

edit: How much mastery should you aim for in order for it to be viable, is what I meant to say.

It's fairly okay, however you can't drop Soul Reaper anymore, as that scales with Frost's mastery now.

(I believe it's something like a 2% DPS loss at higher mastery levels).

Yep, last I checked around 2% DPS loss at ilvl660 mastery levels, so perfectly fine to use it. It's usually called "mastersimple", BTW.

DW Frost is significantly worse than 2h Frost which is significantly worse than Unholy. So the somewhat harsh but true answer is you can do whatever with DW because if you are DW you don't care about your dps enough to be 2h or Unholy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlab View Post
    DW Frost is significantly worse than 2h Frost which is significantly worse than Unholy. So the somewhat harsh but true answer is you can do whatever with DW because if you are DW you don't care about your dps enough to be 2h or Unholy.
    No. DW and 2H are pretty close on single targets, with 2H a bit ahead. DW is substantially ahead on AE/cleave.

Unholy is ahead of both, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    No. DW and 2H are pretty close on single targets, with 2H a bit ahead. DW is substantially ahead on AE/cleave.

Unholy is ahead of both, of course.
    Incorrect. DW is behind 2h and unholy across the board. Check warcraft logs if you do not believe me, though you will have to hunt to differentiate dw vs 2h frost.

Right now my 2H frost is simming almost 2k DPS ahead of Unholy for ST and working pretty good. Parsed 30500 on butcher last night at 668 ilvl. Unholy will pretty win on any cleave fight though.
    I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorlab View Post
    Incorrect. DW is behind 2h and unholy across the board. Check warcraft logs if you do not believe me, though you will have to hunt to differentiate dw vs 2h frost.
    Please substantiate what you're saying.

If there's some way to differentiate between DW and 2H on WCL, please do let me know. I based my post on simulation only, because I wasn't aware there was any way to do that. Obviously you can look at individual parses, but they are not meaningful, only aggregate data is.

It is still a thing but with a slight loss over weaving some oblits into your rotation. Also as far as which spec is pulling the most dps looking at the stock sims is great and all, but you really need to sim your own toon because it is very dependant on your current gear. For example my DK sims higher as DW frost with my current gear. It's only about 800 dps higher but it's still higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Schizoide View Post
    Please substantiate what you're saying.

If there's some way to differentiate between DW and 2H on WCL, please do let me know. I based my post on simulation only, because I wasn't aware there was any way to do that. Obviously you can look at individual parses, but they are not meaningful, only aggregate data is.
    You might be able to talk to Kihra about implementing that distinction, its not like its hard to distinguish on a parse-by-parse basis.
    Last edited by aggixx; 2015-01-02 at 11:02 PM.

Druid / Demon Hunter SimulationCraft Maintainer

Quote Originally Posted by Taranig View Post
    Right now my 2H frost is simming almost 2k DPS ahead of Unholy for ST and working pretty good. Parsed 30500 on butcher last night at 668 ilvl. Unholy will pretty win on any cleave fight though.
    If you look at logs for the Butcher, you will notice that Unholy is ahead even on that fight
    In other words, Unholy is better at outperforming its simmed DPS values ~
    Last edited by Saiyendra; 2015-01-02 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aggixx View Post
    You might be able to talk to Kihra about implementing that distinction, its not like its hard to distinguish on a parse-by-parse basis.
    I know warriors have been asking for the same thing for some time now, so I assumed there was some reason it couldn't be done. Tweeted, cross your fingers.

@Potatoe: Those AMR links unfortunately aren't meaningful, because they don't look at the full dataset, they simply list the top-ranked players for each spec/subspec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Saiyendra View Post
    If you look at logs for the Butcher, you will notice that Unholy is ahead even on that fight
    In other words, Unholy is better at outperforming its simmed DPS values ~
    Well thats because most dks play Unholy in all over Highmaul because every fight it is stronger except from Butcher. I myself tried it and 2h Frost is ahead at Butcher. Also i would describe it like this:
    2h Frost=Singletarget+Burst
    Unholy= AOE+Cleave,
    DW Frost=Mix of both, better than Unholy ST but worse AOE/Cleave and worse ST than 2H Frost but better in Cleave situations.

I myself play both Unholy and 2Hand Frost.