Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Blood Elves didn't know they were using Fel Magic

https://twitter.com/MickyNeilson/sta...59417437650944

Blood elves didn't know what they were absorbing. This'll be covered more in my Kael story.
    I feel this is becoming a bad habit with blizz, whitewashing things and making the horde less and less competent so it'll be less accountable for what it does.

If the blood elves were Less 'edgy' to begin with then no reason for them not to enjoy the fluffy goodness of the naaru and light in the new storyline :P
    Twas brillig

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not like the generic elf in Quel'thalas was summoning demons to suck magic from. They were sucking it from anything that was available. Even in the opening cinematic, that BElf chick was sucking up a mana wyrm.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    It's not like the generic elf in Quel'thalas was summoning demons to suck magic from. They were sucking it from anything that was available. Even in the opening cinematic, that BElf chick was sucking up a mana wyrm.
    Opting not to drain from demons and not knowing about the bunch of warlocks in murder row with a bunch of green crystals, the demons summoned around the city... are very different things.

I mean for crying out loud look at the concept art.

Twas brillig

So, high elves are the edgy version of elves?

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    So, high elves are the edgy version of elves?
    That's the way it's heading.

Blood Elves are incompetent and lack any unique magical forms or cultural traits now.
    Twas brillig

the picture is definitely not fel magic, I mean look at that happy little face in that crystal. I'm not 100% on this, but I think they were fooled into thinking it was Bob Ross magic, just some happy little absorbing of some happy little magic

the most evils elfs died with kael those who were "evil" but loyal to quelthalas (sunfury) accepted lorthemar conditions. now there is no quelthalas fel crystals in and elves use sacred magic of the Sunwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Tables have turned: Also I think we should read the book before we assume things. I mean WHY did they think it.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Picture the Blood Elven relationship with fel magic as something very much like our relationship with oil today - sure, there's plenty of people screaming about the dangers, but really most people just don't want to think about it because A) they don't want to give up the benefits of an oil-run economy (or magic-run economy), B) they don't want to have to face the cognitive dissonance of being a part of the problem, and C) they still cling to the hope that it's just the ravings of lunatics.

The Blood Elves in charge of things probably knew exactly what was going on. The rest maybe just chose to have faith in their leaders, and use 'I didn't know' as an excuse.
    Last edited by gonterf; 2014-02-11 at 04:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    the most evils elfs died with kael those who were "evil" but loyal to quelthalas (sunfury) accepted lorthemar conditions. now there is no quelthalas fel crystals in and elves use sacred magic of the Sunwell
    So they took away everything that made them Blood elves, everything that made them unique and interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gonterf View Post
    Picture the Blood Elven relationship with fel magic as something very much like our relationship with oil today - sure, there's plenty of people screaming about the dangers, but really most people just don't want to think about it because A) they don't want to give up the benefits of an oil-run economy (or magic-run economy), B) they don't want to have to face the cognitive dissonance of being a part of the problem, and C) they still cling to the hope that it's just the ravings of lunatics.
    This doesn't match what micky said at all.
    Twas brillig

look they have to find ways to make kael'thas evil, that means making up a bunch of shit to make him look bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
    So they took away everything that made them Blood elves, everything that made them unique and interesting..
    thats not what made them unique.

blood elves WERE NOT evil. AT ALL.

what made them unique was that they were rougher around the edges. they were willing to get their hands a little dirty to get the job done.

what kind of magic they were using or thought they were using has nothing to do with it.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post

thats not what made them unique.

blood elves WERE NOT evil. AT ALL.

what made them unique was that they were rougher around the edges. they were willing to get their hands a little dirty to get the job done.

what kind of magic they were using or thought they were using has nothing to do with it.
    When did I say evil?

They were STRONG, they bent fel magic to their will and now Blizz is making them too stupid to know what they were doing.

They're going to make "The Light" their big theme.

They're going to be "horde" Draenei.
    Twas brillig

I think people (including myself for a long while) don't get that the Blood Elves in Warcraft III are not the same ones as the Player characters and those in WoW's Silvermoon City. It's a shame, but the "cool" Blood Elves we knew are the ones we fought and killed in the Tempest Keep dungeons and raid as well as those in Black Temple. Again, it's a shame, but what happened in TBC allows them to write any "whitewashed" story they want.

In other words, the difference is going to suddenly become a lot clearer than it was, and I think people are not going to like that. Maybe it was already clear enough in TBC, and I have a bad memory. I don't know.
    Last edited by Senka; 2014-02-11 at 04:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Even so, the prince's relatively quick acceptance of dire measures (e.g., draining magic from demons) is by no means characteristic of blood elves in general. The blood elves of Outland have by now discovered Kael'thas' agreement with Illidan, and they have for the most part become convinced of its necessity. Most blood elves still live on Azeroth, though. Few of these elves know of Kael'thas' pact with Illidan, and many would be horrified if they discovered it. Draining magic from small mana-bearing vermin is a far cry from draining magic from demons. Yet, as their hunger grows, blood elves--particularly those in Outland--are becoming increasingly inured to the things they must do in order to obtain more magic. (Source)

10+ Year Old Account
    Wasn't the whole point that with the Sunwell destroyed, they became so withdrawn from magic that they had to pretty absorb anything or they'd become Wretched or something worse?
    By Blizzard Entertainment:
    Part of the reason is that Battlegrounds are like ducks.
    My Nintendo FC is 2208-5726-4303.

When did I say evil?

They were STRONG, they bent fel magic to their will and now Blizz is making them too stupid to know what they were doing.

They're going to make "The Light" their big theme.

They're going to be "horde" Draenei.
    the guy you replied to specifically said evil.

and it isnt making the elves look stupid. its making kael'thas into a liar to his own people by misleading them.

if you go to silvermoon the blood elves protesting joining the horde instead of the alliance get mind controlled and start spouting pro horde anti alliance propaganda.

the same thing probably happened here.

it wasnt that the blood elves didnt know what they were doing, they were probably manipulated with magic in order to use it without protest just like how they were forced to join the horde by the magisters and werent allowed to protest
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    Tables have turned: Also I think we should read the book before we assume things. I mean WHY did they think it.
    Either that or it's ATROCIOUS writing.

Definitely one of the two though.
    I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes
    Or should I?

Quote Originally Posted by Senka View Post
    I think people (including myself for a long while) don't get that the Blood Elves in Warcraft III are not the same ones as the Player characters and those in WoW's Silvermoon City. It's a shame, but the "cool" Blood Elves we knew are the ones we fought and killed in the Tempest Keep dungeons and raid as well as those in Black Temple. Again, it's a shame, but what happened in TBC allows them to write any "whitewashed" story they want.

In other words, the difference is going to suddenly become a lot clearer than it was, and I think people are not going to like that. Maybe it was already clear enough in TBC, and I have a bad memory. I don't know.
    The tragic truth I suppose, Blizz never let the playable blood elves use arcane or fel as a main theme, it's always been the light.

Everything that made them interesting is being cleaned, sanitized and pressed to make them better fit THE LIGHT.
    Twas brillig

I thought belfs enjoyed sucking up magic from anybody/thing, and not having to practice restraint like the helfs?. I remember reading that Lidrian (sp?) whole shtick was that she enjoyed having power over the magic beings she sucked dry, and promoted that.

Not that Im an expert on elf lore (elfs are stupid), but I remember the opening BC movie, and reading the horde version of the paladin questline and got that impression.

So they took away everything that made them Blood elves, everything that made them unique and interesting.

- - - Updated - - -

This doesn't match what micky said at all.
    in the blood of the Highborne, it is said only a few Knew That the truth of the crystals as I recall, the magister Knew the whole truth about the pacts with illidan and the origin of the crystals but thought it was not Necessary That the people know all this, only senior government OFFICIALS Knew That happening. Lorthemar, Rommath, Liadrin They did what was right Believed to save his people in a time of extreme nesecidad, but ultimately loyal to them and mantubieron quelthalas Could See What Were his mistakes and try to make amends is What They do now. Were sunfury aware of all the evil things of kael, but ultimately sided with quelthalas. but not all the more "evil" died with kael

I think the lore of the elves is so wonderful and I love that race