Page 9 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSilas View Post
    Pay gaps exist everywhere. Gender, age, ethnicity, race, culture, industry.

Even how attractive you are: http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...55331418204842
    http://www.businessinsider.com/attra...cessful-2012-9

There are often valid reasons for observing a pay gap between groups. Men are better investments in long term employment, simply due to sociological factors, namely the division of labour. Attractive people probably earn more because clients like them more, or they're simply more pleasant to look at day in day out and give the firm a better look.
    And if you live in a racist neighbourhood, you might not want to employ black staff for fear of alienating customers.

Which is why that kind of thing is illegal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    And if you live in a racist neighbourhood, you might not want to employ black staff for fear of alienating customers.

Which is why that kind of thing is illegal.
    Nothing I mentioned had to do with employing habits, but pay habits.

Perhaps try to reply to the comment, and not go off on tangents?

Don't like the salary you're being offered, don't take the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    That's not how it works. If you make a claim, then you provide the evidence. You can't just say "Look it up yourself" and then act as if that proves something.
    Wells did the legwork for both of us. My point was that the issue is more nuanced than people make it out to be.

I'm not trying to prove it to you, because I don't really care that much. I was pointing out that there's more to the issue than an average pay gap.

I also don't understand why the jobs being female dominant somehow implies sexism more than male dominant jobs. Just because somebody said so?
    Men working in female dominated professions tend to get paid more, sometimes for good reason because of their career choices. Sometimes for no reason. If a man is getting paid more to do the same job as a woman, in a profession usually dominated by women, I think that makes a fairly clear point that something is amiss.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    Don't like the salary you're being offered, don't take the job.
    1. Yeah, because jobs are so fucking plentiful.

2. How are you supposed to know you're getting a raw deal if you don't know what your coworkers are getting?
    Banned from Twitter by Elon, so now I'm your problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brexitexit View Post
    I am the total opposite of a cuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    How is paying men more for doing the same work as women discrimination?
    That's an extremely vague generalization that seems to draw from a mysterious unspoken source with an imposed single conclusion even though there could be and ARE numerous reasons as to why a pay gap would exist for two types of people that have very common differences.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Wells did the legwork for both of us. My point was that the issue is more nuanced than people make it out to be.

I'm not trying to prove it to you, because I don't really care that much. I was pointing out that there's more to the issue than an average pay gap.

Men working in female dominated professions tend to get paid more, sometimes for good reason because of their career choices. Sometimes for no reason. If a man is getting paid more to do the same job as a woman, in a profession usually dominated by women, I think that makes a fairly clear point that something is amiss.
    I actually looked up nursing and teaching and found valid reason for averages. Now specific scenarios it don't mention, Google took me to lots of anecdotal stories.. true or not isn't something I can make the call on, but as far as averages go two previous posts explain it.
    Secutaries... not a clue though. Given those were your three examples.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post

It makes no point. Even if it is female dominated, men can take the higher paying aspects of those jobs. Also, I don't see where wells did the legwork for anyone.
    “Humanism means that the man is the measure of all things...But it is not only that man must start from himself in the area of knowledge and learning, but any value system must come arbitrarily from man himself by arbitrary choice.” - Francis A. Schaeffer

Why don't more employers hire more women if they can get them for so much cheaper? I mean all things being the same as men, like work performance, work ethic, work qualifications, it should be a no-brainer? Right?
    Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions.
    What people call impartiality may simply mean indifference, and what people call partiality may simply mean mental activity.
    There is only one thing that requires real courage to say, and that is a truism.
    -GK Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by SocialJusticeWarrior View Post
    Why don't more employers hire more women if they can get them for so much cheaper? I mean all things being the same as men, like work performance, work ethic, work qualifications, it should be a no-brainer? Right?
    They must just be sexist bastards. Every. Single. One.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SocialJusticeWarrior View Post
    That isn't how these figures come about. Like for like, they earn the same. But individual cases create these statistics that people think apply all cases.

Take the 12% less figure from early in the thread. Women might be earning 88% of what men earn because a variety of factors. Men do more overtime, take less sick days, less career breaks, less toil days, more unpaid overtime to advance careers, spend less time with their families voluntarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Having a government decide what is an equal wage, and who deserves to get it, is a very bad idea.
    having business do it is even worse

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Government control of wages... what could POSSIBLY go wrong with that?
    Goverment control of healthcare.... what could POSSIBLE go wrong with that...

Donald trump meme:

Let me get this straight...
    We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to
    purchase and fined if we don't, which purportedly covers at least ten
    million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for
    16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he
    doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress who didn't read it but
    exempted themselves from it, and signed by a Dumbo President who smokes,
    with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes,
    for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect,
    by a government who has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare,
    all to be overseen by a Surgeon General who is obese, and financed by a
    country that is broke!!!! What could possible go wrong
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    It makes no point. Even if it is female dominated, men can take the higher paying aspects of those jobs. Also, I don't see where wells did the legwork for anyone.
    I think it takes willful ignorance to claim that ~20% pay gaps in the same jobs can be explained this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    having business do it is even worse
    Because you said so, right? Having businesses do it creates competition. Competition encourages businesses to better pay their workers. The government wouldn't have any competition and would simply decide everything arbitrarily.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    I think it takes willful ignorance to claim that ~20% pay gaps in the same jobs can be explained this way.
    Because you said so, right? That's not all the reasons, but its certainly one of them.

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Well on nursing if men only make up 7 percent of the force yet 45 percent of one of the highest paying fields in nursing is men (couldn't find the numbers on what percent of men total it is in that field) coupled with the average of men working more hours and apparently these things don't take into consideration 30 hours is full time and that if more men work 40 plus hours and a chunk of women work 30 hours (still FTYR) then yes that would help explain the difference.
    I am not going to pretend that there is a gap of 0. But without getting into specific fields in nursing/teaching and the like then averaging it on hours-earned wages then figuring out what the average 40 hour week earned, I don't think it is as unlikely as you think.
    Small anecdotal example, I asked a friend of mine about this anesthesiology field I read about. She works as a nurse at University of Louisville hospital, she typically works 32-32-42 hours per week cycles. The people in the anesthesiology field work significantly more, because there are less of them available. Yet as a whole nursing of all fields get lumped together.
    Once again not saying that it explains any and all specific examples, and maybe not all 20 percent, but I would believe that it covers a fair bit.

Also not directed to Wells here, but people pay attention to Donald Trump?

This bill is nothing new, it has been going around for a while and keeps getting shut down. Probably because it's a waste of time for a problem that doesn't even exist, especially not the way it's portrayed in the media and such. The government already knows about this and the people pushing this shit just want votes from the professional victims.

http://www.consad.com/content/report...l%20Report.pdf

And here are some reasons why this type of bill is terrible and why it will cause more problems than it fixes (none):
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/22/op...22Sommers.html
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/docket/2...-anything-but/

Boggles my mind that the professional victims pick this kind of stuff up and run with it as some kind of institutionalized sexism; completely ignoring the fact that we are a sexually dimorphic species, different genders make different choices.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    haha, did you read the link you provided. They're comparing all full time employees. They don't consider men who as other studies have shown, work longer hours and work in professions that pay more. Nice try, but if you're going to claim something at least read the damn thing first.
    ...what previous century or backwards country do you post from. o_O