i5 4670 VS i7 4770 for fps increase in raid

I have already researched on it but I just want to be sure with actual people who play WoW and not tomshardware. I was told the i7 is only better if I am streaming, is that true? Thanks guys

What you heard is correct. The i7 is essentially the same as the i5, but with a technology called "Hyper-threading" which is not supported in a vast majority of games nor is the CPU power needed(i5 will sneeze at any game you throw at it).

Also WoW's(and for that matter, all MMO's) engine is very old/technically complex and doesn't support more than 2 cores/threads from a CPU.

Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    What you heard is correct. The i7 is essentially the same as the i5, but with a technology called "Hyper-threading" which is not supported in a vast majority of games nor is the CPU power needed(i5 will sneeze at any game you throw at it).

Also WoW's(and for that matter, all MMO's) engine is very old/technically complex and doesn't support more than 2 cores/threads from a CPU.
    Nice so this is a HUGE upgrade from an FX 6300? huh? Now I just need to find a MB to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ballistiix View Post
    Nice so this is a HUGE upgrade from an FX 6300? huh? Now I just need to find a MB to go with it.
    Going from an FX 6300 to either a i5 4670 or i7 4770 will be pretty big upgrade for wow, but the buying the i7 would only be usefull if do you alot of streaming, or video rendering and editing. If you don't really do those things at all, then there wouldn't be any advantage of buying the i7 over the i5, because, as said above, hardly any games use hyper-threading ( I think crysis 3 and watch dogs utilize it? ). Also, the i5 4670 and i7 4770 use the same motherboards, as they are both a 4th gen cpu and use the 1150 socket.

10+ Year Old Account
    For most games, i5=i7 due to mostly hitting GPU limitations. But for games like WoW that's not really how it works.
    If your budget allows it, the i7 will give you a nice extra performance due to the extra cache and the added 100mhz. 4770 will be about 10-15% better in games, and in games like WoW that matters.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...r-5ghz-11.html
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2014-04-14 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majesticii View Post
    For most games, i5=i7 due to mostly hitting GPU limitations. But for games like WoW that's not really how it works.
    If your budget allows it, the i7 will give you a nice extra performance due to the extra cache and the added 100mhz. 4770 will be about 10-15% better in games, and in games like WoW that matters.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...r-5ghz-11.html
    You won't notice a thing for 99% of games. FPS difference is 1-3 for games between the i7 and i5 and is not worth $100. Also for some games, having HT on by default can cause FPS issues.

Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    Going from an FX 6300 to either a i5 4670 or i7 4770 will be pretty big upgrade for wow, but the buying the i7 would only be usefull if do you alot of streaming, or video rendering and editing. If you don't really do those things at all, then there wouldn't be any advantage of buying the i7 over the i5, because, as said above, hardly any games use hyper-threading ( I think crysis 3 and watch dogs utilize it? ). Also, the i5 4670 and i7 4770 use the same motherboards, as they are both a 4th gen cpu and use the 1150 socket.

So, do you or anyone have any suggestions for a motherboard for the i5 4670? I know my current MB with my Fx 6300 will not work.

Asus Maximus Hero is a great board, as is the MSI G45 Gaming board. Both are feature rich, and moderately priced, although the Maximus is a bit pricier. I personally have used both, with a 4670K, and both are great boards.
    | i7 4790K @ 4.5Ghz | Asus Z97 Pro Gamer | 32Gigs Kingston FuryX 1866 RAM | Kingston Predator M.2 240Gig SSD | 4x Intel 320 Series SATA II RAID 0 | Samsung 850 Pro OS X Drive | WD Red 1TB Media Drive | NVidia GTX 960 | Noctua NH-D15 | Dell S2340 IPS | Fractal Design Define R4 |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    You won't notice a thing for 99% of games. FPS difference is 1-3 for games between the i7 and i5 and is not worth $100. Also for some games, having HT on by default can cause FPS issues.
    We're not talking 99% of the games, and 1-3fps is not what the link i presented shows. Please stop copying this nonsense, just because people like to copy one another. In the Netherlands, the price difference is 60 euros (4670 vs 4770). For a 10-15% bump in performance in mmo/rts games, that is well worth it. If budget allows ofcourse, that's why i asked.

An i7 is not an i5 with HT enabled. I don't know why you people keep copying this.
    Last edited by Majesticii; 2014-04-15 at 10:08 AM.